• ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    might want to change that to no punishment listed in the law

Does not mean the officer will not punish you in other ways because he finds a gun you did not tell him about.

Gun vs LTC. The requirement in TGC 411 is for demand to ID when carrying. There used to be a class C misdemeanor, IIRC for failure to comply.

I talked with an SAPD patrol lieutenant and a few other LEOs on their view of this requirement in the permitless carry environment in the last two months or so. Their consolidated position was that it’s nice to see an LTC, but nothing they can do if you don’t.

Sec. 411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE. If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display:
    (1) both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license; and
    (2) if the license holder's handgun license bears a protective order designation, a copy of the applicable court order under which the license holder is protected.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    The thing that's REALLY aggravating in this story is the cop's attitude of "..you're about to get an education!.." Now that's a real asshat that you're dealing with - doesn't know but is by God gonna tell you how it is. All you can really do in that situation is be polite and keep all the information you can get to feed to his supervisor or (if necessary) to your attorney.

....and that's why defunding the police got so much initial support.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    If I'm pulled over by an LEO: I'll show him/her my DL, insurance and proof of registration if asked.

I won't volunteer my LTC and carry status unless asked...

Why not?

I'm not obligated to...and I'm not one to worry about 'retribution' that I might 'offend' said LEO.

And no, he or she 'doesn't' have my permission to search my vehicle.

Oh, then we're gonna bring a K-9 and ah, it's gonna be a long wait, so why not just let us search?

Ah, because I'm not 'obligated' to give you my permission to search and if it takes all day to get the K-9, I have a book with me...and I'll remain polite and cordial, but I won't budge...

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I was just pulled over. I notified Trooper that I had guns on me and in the truck(I was gonna test some guns after my driving shift at the border). He told me I was about to get an education. Trooper told me that I couldn't pocket carry. Not in public and not in my truck. I told him I wouldn't be in public if he hadn't made me stand in the street. He said all guns must be holstered unless new in their box. I asked if my range bag was acceptable and he said no. I have an LTC and I'm an LTC instructor, but he said I was wrong. I googled it and even looked at my handbook, but maybe I'm not understanding. I thought only open carried guns needed a shoulder/belt holster?

FYI - The pocket gun was empty. My actual EDC was a holstered VP9SK. Other guns in my range bag were projects.

Curious if there were any ticket/warning issued?

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Wil,

We longer have to change our plates, thus we now get a sticker adhered to a document.

That document is your 'registration'.

To be sure, given I've not been pulled over by an LEO in over 50 years I don't know if they ask for it now or not...but I keep mine in the center console just in case.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Proof of registration?

Yeah, you peel off the sticker and hand it over.
    OP was in a semi-truck, so I'm guessing a CDL, and under authority of the DOT. Unless they have changed the requirements, vehicles under DOT authority are still required to carry the registration paperwork in the vehicle at all times.

Plus, unlike a passenger vehicle, they don't have a windshield mounted sticker.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    OP was in a semi-truck, so I'm guessing a CDL, and under authority of the DOT. Unless they have changed the requirements, vehicles under DOT authority are still required to carry the registration paperwork in the vehicle at all times.

Plus, unlike a passenger vehicle, they don't have a windshield mounted sticker.

And another little caveat - because of the DOT mess - they can be pulled over any time, without an infraction/violation having been committed, just for an inspection.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Wil,

We longer have to change our plates, thus we now get a sticker adhered to a document.

That document is your 'registration'.

To be sure, given I've not been pulled over by an LEO in over 50 years I don't know if they ask for it now or not...but I keep mine in the center console just in case.
    Yeah I know that.. I was questions the OP about providing registration

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Okay....I'm just enough of a dick to have replied:

"Go ahead - and when you're done, I'll let my attorney give YOU an education about gun laws and individual rights." I'm normally VERY laid back w/LEO's, and avoid pushing buttons where possible. BUT - if they are going to start w/a chip on their shoulder we have NOTHING further to discuss until my attorney is on the phone w/the speaker on, or physically present.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I was just pulled over. I notified Trooper that I had guns on me and in the truck(I was gonna test some guns after my driving shift at the border). He told me I was about to get an education. Trooper told me that I couldn't pocket carry. Not in public and not in my truck. I told him I wouldn't be in public if he hadn't made me stand in the street. He said all guns must be holstered unless new in their box. I asked if my range bag was acceptable and he said no. I have an LTC and I'm an LTC instructor, but he said I was wrong. I googled it and even looked at my handbook, but maybe I'm not understanding. I thought only open carried guns needed a shoulder/belt holster?

FYI - The pocket gun was empty. My actual EDC was a holstered VP9SK. Other guns in my range bag were projects.

Trooper is the one who needs an education.

"all guns must be holstered unless new in their box" holy fucking retard.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas

i hate state troopers so much. what a dummy. pocket carry is illegal my ass.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Gun vs LTC. The requirement in TGC 411 is for demand to ID when carrying. There used to be a class C misdemeanor, IIRC for failure to comply.
    Second offense, and I think it was a B

First offense was administrative. Nothing cop could do on side of the road. Best is write whiny bitch letter to DPS complaining an hope they take action.

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    Interesting,
    I recently was stopped by a Trooper on I-10 in Fayette County, for having a taillight out in my truck. As I always have I handed him my CHL/LTC and Drivers License with the CHL/LTC on top. He asked if I was carrying a firearm. I said yes that I have my 1911 in an IWB holster on my right side and my 9mm in my pocket in a pocket holster. He said OK. He never made any statements about anything illegal. We visited a bit about the IWB carry and was it comfortable. I said yes in the custom holster I have it in. He handed my license's back and told me to have a good day. I said "Thank You and be careful out there.

Top Bottom