• ...and so much more!
  • nickgibson72

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Houston
    There is no duty to notify in Texas.
    I believe you mentioned initially that you not only have an LTC but also that you are an LTC instructor.
    Pardon my direct question but isn't this information that any LTC holder and also all instructors should know?
    I do not intend this to be a mean question, it is just a question. I thought all instructors knew the penal code by heart. (yes, I know it is long but I mean the relevant paragraphs)
    I would suggest learning the laws yourself before trying to correct someone else on those same laws. Just a suggestion
    Hurley's Gold

nickgibson72

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Houston

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211208-114126.jpg
      Screenshot_20211208-114126.jpg
      316.6 KB · Views: 97

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Read the fine print: "When a magistrate or peace officer DEMANDS"...but. you don't have to 'notify' up front - only if demanded, then yes you must produce DL and LTC.

There was a time in the past when if stopped by an LEO and you were carrying with what was then called a CHL you were required to notify - that requirement is no longer if effect.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    BS!

Some here may recall pissing off some LEO's when you proffered your DL plus your CHL - Who sometimes would chuck your CHL back at you and tell you "If I wanted to see that, I'd ask"...

There is no 'upfront' requirement any longer to notify, however, if you're carrying,have an LTC and the officer wants to see your LTC yes, you must produce it.

Many of the laws regarding carrying have evolved over the years as such as the time when it was illegal on it's face to carry into a hospital, now it's only illegal if it's marked with a 30.06 sign and on and on...

Last edited:

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    I would suggest learning the laws yourself before trying to correct someone else on those same laws. Just a suggestion
    I learned the laws. Which is why I understand that there is no duty to notify how many weapons you carry on you or in your vehicle. That's what we were talking about so I guess I was not clear about that, sorry.
    You are implying that there is duty to notify about your license. While I disagree with the wording, you are right that we need to produce our license when being ID-ed. But there is no more penalty for failure to produce an LTC.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    We weren't talking about the LTC but the HW instead. But you are right, we are required to produce our LTC when being ID-ed. (with no penalty anymore)

We weren't?!?

I was just pulled over. I notified Trooper that I had guns on me and in the truck(I was gonna test some guns after my driving shift at the border). He told me I was about to get an education. Trooper told me that I couldn't pocket carry. Not in public and not in my truck. I told him I wouldn't be in public if he hadn't made me stand in the street. He said all guns must be holstered unless new in their box. I asked if my range bag was acceptable and he said no. I have an LTC and I'm an LTC instructor, but he said I was wrong. I googled it and even looked at my handbook, but maybe I'm not understanding. I thought only open carried guns needed a shoulder/belt holster?

FYI - The pocket gun was empty. My actual EDC was a holstered VP9SK. Other guns in my range bag were projects.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    I was just pulled over. I notified Trooper that I had guns on me and in the truck(I was gonna test some guns after my driving shift at the border). He told me I was about to get an education. Trooper told me that I couldn't pocket carry. Not in public and not in my truck. I told him I wouldn't be in public if he hadn't made me stand in the street. He said all guns must be holstered unless new in their box. I asked if my range bag was acceptable and he said no. I have an LTC and I'm an LTC instructor, but he said I was wrong. I googled it and even looked at my handbook, but maybe I'm not understanding. I thought only open carried guns needed a shoulder/belt holster?

FYI - The pocket gun was empty. My actual EDC was a holstered VP9SK. Other guns in my range bag were projects.
    This cop was totally incorrect. Your gun only needs to be in a holster if being carried openly. And you can openly carry it any way you want. The belt and shoulder holster requirement was dropped. Concealed carry in a holster or not. Personally i carry in a holster so i dont put holes in my body parts

Last edited:

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    This cop was totally incorrect. Your gun only needs to be in a holster if being carried openly. And you can openly carry it any way you want. The belt and shoulder holster requirement was dropped. Concealed carry in a holster or not. Personally i carry in a holster so i dont put holes iny body parts
    You are correct and op has now been notified multiple times.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Lesson learned just place your guns on the seat and be good to go. Cops are Not gun control officers and so many of them know nothing of the laws pertaining much less know guns in general other then what they were taught about their carry weapons. Sad but true.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Lesson learned just place your guns on the seat and be good to go. Cops are Not gun control officers and so many of them know nothing of the laws pertaining much less know guns in general other then what they were taught about their carry weapons. Sad but true.
    Are you suggesting placing the guns on a seat visible (therefore open carry) without a holster?

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013

and I thought it was if its not on you it has to be out of sight if its in your car.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom