• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    I watch a video recently about point shooting and it sparked my interest. Can someone explain the theory behind point shooting? It seems that with practice this can be a very effective method.
    Military Camp

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    I've read that to but I would like a first hand experience. The video I watched they guy literally pulled and dumped the whole mag making every shot on the plate without looking at the sights. The method that was used was with the middle finger on the trigger and the index finger pointing straight down the slide. I tried some dry runs just to see if my sights matched to where my finger was pointed and it wasn't that far off. I need to get some .40 and hit the range and try this out.

SgtBrummy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    I've tried It a few times a few years back and it wasn't bad. It Took some getting used to. I tried the trigger pull with the middle finger which was way different. The good thing is it doesn't take much practice because it is all about your natural finger point. I also learned that women for some reason tend to to better at It. I don't know If that is conclusive but my wife, who doesn't shoot as much a me, did better than me. If I had the time it's something I would practice on a regular basis with drawing from my concealed holster.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    I can see how women would be better at it they have better pointing skills especially when its something shiny lol. I can point better with a tape measure than my own finger, funny how construction work does that to someone.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I would just be concerned about my index finger being so close to the slide! :ohnoes:

I might have to give it a try the next time I take some pistols to the range!

Cheers! M2

espy59lc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    I learned it in the Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy. Muscle memory. Basically, look and find something on your wall, raise your arm and point to it. Odds are you didn't have to look down your arm and your more than likely pointing at the object or pretty close too it.

You are training yourself to be able to raise and act as if the gun is an extension of your hand/finger. Your hands go where your eyes go. We had to pass that in our pistol training. And if you think about it, in a HIGH STRESS situation, as in actually having to use your gun, your adrenaline is going to be racing, eyes will open up, and it will take you TIME to find your sights, and time is not on your side. But if you practice point shooting, you waste no time, just look, point, shoot.

Some don't like the method, me personally, loved it. And with practice, I could hit center mass every round. But we were out on the range for 2 weeks straight, 8hrs a day!

I never learned the middle finger as trigger with this method...

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    I am hosting Roger Phillips in Orange TX in Feb for Point Shooting Progressions and Advanced Point Shooting Progressions. Some believe point shooting is un-aimed shooting. I assure you it is not. As a graduate of Roger's PSP course I can assure you a great deal of accuracy can be gained from following Roger's methods. In my training, there is a seamless transition between point shooting and getting on my iron sights. Both skill sets are needed and neither are ignored.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    From the little bit of reading I've done on and off, not all point shooting is done with the middle finger as trigger finger. Is this what you all have come up with as well? While I won't say I can point shoot, I occassionally do a little practice looking at a target, closing my eyes, then bringing the gun up. Then I open my eyes to see where the gun is.

WadeP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    San Marcos, TX
    I don't see the "point" of pulling the trigger with my middle finger when I've spent a lifetime training my index fingers to do that job. I've trained in the Applegate/Hocking College method and someday (cough) will get some training with Roger Phillips as mentioned above.

A classic primer on point shooting is Applegate's "Shoot to Live" DVD available through Paladin Press. For a more in-depth and modern study, check out these:
    Introduction To Point Shooting DVD

POINT SHOOTING PROGRESSIONS DVD with Roger Phillips

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Pick a pistol (or type of pistol. Don't mix Glock with other types or it'll be harder.) Spend good quality time at the range on a regular basis. Then one day, just try not using your sights. Cover 'em with tape if you have to.

Know your equipment and how your body should line up for a shot and you hardly need the sights for a lot of shots.

espy59lc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    I don't see the "point" of pulling the trigger with my middle finger when I've spent a lifetime training my index fingers to do that job. I've trained in the Applegate/Hocking College method and someday (cough) will get some training with Roger Phillips as mentioned above.

A classic primer on point shooting is Applegate's "Shoot to Live" DVD available through Paladin Press. For a more in-depth and modern study, check out these:

I went to Hocking College and thats where I learned Point Shooting.

Roger Phillips

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Las Vegas
    I watch a video recently about point shooting and it sparked my interest. Can someone explain the theory behind point shooting? It seems that with practice this can be a very effective method.

Practice is not quite as important as knowledge. If you know the "how, why, when, and where" practicing is not just easy.....it is a blast!

Point shooting is all about eye/hand coordination. The body goes where the eyes go......the bullets go where the eyes go......just like a pitch in baseball, a three point shot, or a long bow. Visually lock in on a focal point and use the eye-hand coordination of solid body mechanics and you are off to a very good start.

Roger Phillips

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Las Vegas

Wade, my friend! If a 25% discount helps you get into one of my upcoming TX Point Shoooting Progressions (PSP) courses, just contact me an I will make that happen. I am glad to hear that you liked my DVD's.

Here is a link to my three TX PSP courses, pick a date and the discount is yours. Suarez International USA, Inc. - Search

atxtj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I recently shot my 1911 with no sights installed on it at all to see how well instinctual shooting worked out for me, and to be honest I found I shot much faster and with almost as good accuracy without sights as I did with sights (at 7-10 yards). I thought this was true in theory when shooting my Seecamp, but it really proved itself with the colt. Muscle memory sure helps!

Roger Phillips

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Las Vegas
    I would just be concerned about my index finger being so close to the slide! :ohnoes:

I might have to give it a try the next time I take some pistols to the range!

Cheers! M2

That ain't point shooting!

That is "point and shoot" which is a method that is pushed by a guy who does not even own a gun and that just wants to sell you a "finger shelf" to stick on your gun.

Do not confuse this with point shooting......it is not point shooting.

Top Bottom