• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blind_fire

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Austin
    As others said with practice and lots of it it can be done. I am a blind shooter, hence the screen name, and this method is a must for me. I’m not great but I keep most of the shots on the paper.

If I can hear something I can point at it. If I can point at it I can hit it. This is an instinctual ability that I luckily have that not all blind people possess. Unfortunately at the range I don’t have this option. If I have my shoulders lined up with the target I can usually line the pistol up straight with them, as long as it isn’t a glock, and keep them on the paper.

I have also found that having a single action trigger helps. Shooting a revolver single action or preferably a 1911 works the best for me.

Roger Phillips

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Las Vegas
    When the proper knowledge is put into place, "lots" of practice is not really necessary to learn how to point shoot. It is the understanding of point shooting methodology that is more important than a ton of practice. For instance, I taught my 15 year old daughter how to point shoot, fast and accurate, out to 7 yards in five minutes. Solid hand span group in the upper thoracic cavity at seven yards with five minutes of actual handgun usage, she had never shot a handgun before that five minutes.

Point shooting is not about muscle memeory, that is an inefficeint/ineffective way to learn point shooting and extremely limited. That is the entry level of point shooting. Point shooting is about eye/hand coordination. When you learn the eye/hand coordination of point shooting you are much more versatile than you are with muscle memeory and able to do things that are not possible with muscle memeory.

It is an absolute myth that point shooting takes "a lot" of practice. Fairbairn and Sykes trained the Shanghai Police Department the fundamentals of point shooting with 36 rounds. They got into 666 gunfights over 12 years and won the vast majority (around 78%) of those gunfights. What they had was knowledge......not time......not plenty of ammo......and not "a lot" of practice.

Point shooting can be both for those with very little time to train (like my daughter and the Shanghai Police) or the most advanced levels of gunfighting (such as Jelly Bryce, Col Askins, Bill Jordan, and those that train with Suarez International) Point shooting can be brought to unbeleivable levels, but in reality it is not about point shooting, it is about what point shooting makes possible.

Point shooting allows you to be better when night fighting, when you are behind in the reactionary curve, when both you and the adversary are moving dynamically, during the activation of the sympathetic nervous system inside of the fight or flight response, as our aging eyes make it tougher to get a crisp sight picture, with the integration of hand to hand skills, and when "clearing" tactics are needed.

Point shooting on it's own is mildly interesting. Point shooting taken into the reality of the fight is taking your fighting skills to an entirely different level.

Roscoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    If you're interested in point shooting, I strongly recommend you read Bill Jordan's "NO SECOND PLACE WINNER". Jordan strongly advocated point
    shooting for close in shots. Using his S&W model 19 and his issue gun belt he was amazing in both speed of draw and accuracy.

Top Bottom