• ...and so much more!
  • dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    Just picked this up from the FFL today.
    Finnish Suomi M31
    Got 2 71 round drums and 1 36 round stick mag for it.
    9mm, and a lot of it. It's heavy as hell, but I like it. I'll let you know how it does when I shoot it.
    View attachment 5611

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I've seen a couple of these on Gunbroker and find them really interesting... I'm thinking if it's 9mm though I'm going to spring for a Sterling.

Intrigued though to hear the range report.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    I thought about the Sterling but these sell for $399 through centerfire systems or j&g, the sterlings are $549, as well, the drums are $20 a piece, and parts kits are still cheap so I bought one of those as well with the budget. I figure if I want to go sbr later, I may do that.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I thought about the Sterling but these sell for $399 through centerfire systems or j&g, the sterlings are $549, as well, the drums are $20 a piece, and parts kits are still cheap so I bought one of those as well with the budget. I figure if I want to go sbr later, I may do that.

That is true... Does anyone know if they've got a funny looking drum for the Sterling or is it just that stick mag?

I like the Sterling that is the Model II I believe with the fully shrouded barrel... Looks pretty slick... This one doesn't look bad either, I'm just a stickler for weight...

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    To follow up on this, I took it out to shoot over the holidays and learned several things. It requires a break-in period before it will start chewing through ammo without a hitch. Through 71 rounds of 115gr. FMJ Blazer brass and wal-mart Federal, there were 3 light primer strike misfires, more than likely caused by burrs in the firing pin hole. Also learned, when using the drum mags, make sure that there is a very tight crimp on the bullet, factory ammo comes with an average crimp meant to work when feeding over a feed ramp, the drum does not provide a feed ramp and is very brutal on loading one into the chamber, with light crimps, the bullet gets slammed into the drum feeding mouth (flat vertical chunk of steel) causing the bullet to get deeply seated in the case and not feed.
    In short, with 147gr. ammo and heavy crimps, along with a decently stout charge and fairly soft primer, I believe that the Suomi would not miss one beat.
    If you're going to only shoot factory ammo, stick with the stick mags.
    As far as accuracy, it's an ex-SMG, so at 50 yards, about a 6-8 inch group offhand should be expected.
    I've read where when they were new from the factory in WWII, they came with 2 barrels both custom fitted and serialized to that specified weapon with accuracy of 1" not uncommon at 100 meters.
    However with the Repro, it has a non-matching barrel with a 4.5" extension welded on the barrel.

It looks great and can function reliably, but don't expect it to be perfect out of the box.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    show off lol

Nah - otherwise, ah'd have done this....

Left side.JPG

anim_lol.jpg

Top Bottom