• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    With a pair of calipers, across the mouth. You should be at about .470 or so. Any tighter and you might shave brass.

Last edited:

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Some of my Lee dies shave brass like that. Not quite as obvious as yours but brass shavings nonetheless. No amount of adjusting seems to remedy it.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    One other thing is to watch your flare. Too much and the cases will shave too. It isn't normal and can be fixed, even if it is a die issue. Lee is good about that.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Crimp is good.

I sent Lee some pictures and they are working with me now. It looks to me like there is a burr in the die.

prob2_zpsabc7a235.jpg

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I sent in the turret loaded with dies so they could look at it. I got it back today. They replaced the turret and said the sleeve was installed in the crimpp dies backwards. WTF!

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    It's been a while since I played with a FCD, I didnt remember them being directional on the crimp ring. IIRC isn't there a bevel on the down side that is hard to miss?

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I also use the RCBS Charge Master. It is almost a "set and forget" instrument. I actually have two. I use one for my large capacity rifle loads and the other for my smaller handgun loads. (Too lazy to make gross adjustments)
    Try bumping the bullet with your seating die prior to the final seating. By bumping the bullet, I mean bringing the seating die down until you feel a slight resistance. This "bump" will generally align the bullet vertically with the case. If you "bump" and then raise the seating die you will see what I mean. Then seat the bullet as usual.

As far as shaving off of the bullets. You are probably not flaring your cases enough. I usually flare my cases until I can hand set a bullet into the case mouth and the bullet will rest slightly below the case rim.
    Some will say this is exercising the case to much. I have used this technique on .45 ACP brass for many years and many reloading cycles with no premature case failures. I have a Dillion 550B that I reload my .45 ACP ammo on. After the initial set-up, the press has reloaded more than 25,000 bullets without a problem. Filling the primer tubes is my only complaint.
    Experiment with you press until you get the kinks worked out. It will definitely make your reloading sessions more enjoyable.

Top Bottom