• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bprifle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2014
    I was listening to the show a few weeks back when you guys mentioned the typical scenario:

Chl holder in a place that is getting robbed......

I believe referencing the House of Pies that was robbed the night before.
    Everyone agreed that they wouldn't get involved unless they had to.

That made sense to me at the time. It came out a few days later that said robber was coming straight from murdering someone for their car. That kind of muddled things in my mind. How would you know any different. Give the bad guy the benefit of the doubt?

These guys came in and fired rounds into the ceiling right off the bat unless I'm mistaken.

For me that would settle a few things:
    Yep its real
    Yep its loaded
    Yep they're willing to pull a trigger

Once the mental hurdles are cleared
    I would think that I would rather be drawing before the business end was pointed at me rather than after. I would love to get some input from guys like yourselves.

Guns were just for hunting until I moved from a small east Tx town with no real crime straight into a bad Houston hood. Now it is starting to seem like this type situation will be a when rather than an if for me.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Now it is starting to seem like this type situation will be a when rather than an if for me.
    Don't let your brain slip into that sort of negative mindset. No matter where in the U.S. you live, the odds are strong you will never need your daily carry. It's most assuredly not a matter of "when"; it's a matter of keeping your eyes open and your brain engaged. I've lived in *very* bad places and spent time working in worse and I know how easy it is to feel that bad things are inevitable. But they just aren't.

By all means carry; the stakes are too high. But don't expect to need your gun. Expect that your heightened situational awareness will help you see or feel something coming. Then be elsewhere.

Captain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2014
    I agree better to draw before their weapon is pointed at you

sent from the Gulf of Mexico

NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Don't know how you guys handle things over there , but if you're ever in New Orleans and you run in and start shooting while I'm trying to get my key lime on, expect to catch some hot ones.

:twin:

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Don't let your brain slip into that sort of negative mindset. No matter where in the U.S. you live, the odds are strong you will never need your daily carry. It's most assuredly not a matter of "when"; it's a matter of keeping your eyes open and your brain engaged. I've lived in *very* bad places and spent time working in worse and I know how easy it is to feel that bad things are inevitable. But they just aren't.

By all means carry; the stakes are too high. But don't expect to need your gun. Expect that your heightened situational awareness will help you see or feel something coming. Then be elsewhere.

I just don't know about that part. If you carry you should expect to use it. I have used Jeff Cooper's color codes for years before I knew about them. They just define and identify the level of awareness. I stay in Yellow when out in publc.

you know the old saying,.. "always be coureous and polite and have a plan to kill everyone in the roon"

I can be out in public and have a good time eating in resturants or shopping, but I'm always watching for a threat as well

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Its very hard to guess. Are there multiple armed robbers? Do you have a clear path to fire? Its easy to sit here on the internet a.d say how you'd Swiss cheese a bad guy. If you've ever been in a situation where you gotta get physical with a big guy or multiple guys its similar. You'll be shaking with fear and adrenaline. I had a guy smashing in my car with a baseball bat and trying to take my head off. When I got to my weapon I had to force myself to start firing. I fired 11 rounds and missed him every time. If you've never shot at a person its easy to say how easy it is.

NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    It should be obvious that a lot of factors should play into that decision, but if you've got the means and the ability to stop some cashier from getting killed over $50 I think you certainly should. If your strategy is based on hoping they dont come have an interaction with you, after their interaction with the cashier, I don't see why you're carrying a gun.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I gotta' agree with Ben. I don't go anywhere "expecting" to need my gun. I have it on my waist "if" I need it. I never forget where it is or that I have it. I believe if someone "expects" to need something or "expects" something to happen, chances of it happening (in their own mind) greatly increase.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    But don't expect to need your gun.

I just don't know about that part. If you carry you should expect to use it....

you know the old saying,.. "always be courteous and polite and have a plan to kill everyone in the room"

I can be out in public and have a good time eating in restaurants or shopping, but I'm always watching for a threat as well
    I think we're both in agreement. It's not about the odds; it's about the risk. An expectation that "If I must, I am able to shoot" is a prerequisite to sensibly carrying a firearm.

However, the OP expressed a different sentiment, one along the lines of "One of these days, I feel sure I'm going to have to shoot somebody." That's not a good mindset. From a purely statistical point of view, it's simply wrong. Most normal people who don't carry a gun as a job requirement should expect that they can carry for the rest of their lives without having to shoot anyone. Thats the way the numbers shake out.

Always be alert, aware, and ready; sure. But being resigned to bad things happening tends to be self-fulfilling. That is the attitude I was addressing when I said "don't expect" to need a gun. Expect to be smart enough to not need a gun.

But have one if things go to hell.

I really think our respective statements are consistent, even if we're concentrating on different parts of the question.

Can we agree that the pessimism of the OP is not a good idea? That's really all I was trying to communicate.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I think we're both in agreement. ,,,,,

Can we agree that the pessimism of the OP is not a good idea? That's really all I was trying to communicate.

yes and absolutley we can sir.

Top Bottom