• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreyes89

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    Pasadena
    My cousin went in today to purchase a firearm, and was delayed, and we started talking about his past. He currently is 23, and has had a deferred drug paraphernalia ticket when he was 18, and recently an open case dwi, which he states is a misdemeanor A. My question is, is it legal for him to have in possession, in his home or place of stay, knives, nun chucks, etc, if he CANT legally own a firearm. What are laws pertaining to owning knives, not carrying, in texas.
    ARJ Defense ad

dreyes89

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    Pasadena
    I read your guide and I found the answer I'm the section 5, where those firearms and knives, etc, are also prohibited in your home, if you can't legally possess them. I will inform my cousin, its up to him to decide now. Thanks again!

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    No, it does not.

I'll spell it out. Switchblades are unlawful to possess, wherever you are.

Illegal knives (those defined by that name in penal code 46.02) are unlawful to carry on or about your person unless you meet the requirements of 46.02 or 46.15(b). That means there are many places you can carry illegal knives.

You should probably go back and re-read my guide.

dreyes89

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    Pasadena
    Your right, my mistake, what I read were the class 3 itemsthat stated you can't possess at home.in section 5.
    But I was talking also just about simple pocket knifes also. I will just take yours and bithabis word on it that he can.

Thanks for help, and for guide, I will read more in depth, I was just skimming looking for the keywords on it l.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Your right, my mistake, what I read were the class 3 itemsthat stated you can't possess at home.in section 5.
    But I was talking also just about simple pocket knifes also. I will just take yours and bithabis word on it that he can.

Thanks for help, and for guide, I will read more in depth, I was just skimming looking for the keywords on it l.

OUCH... Couple things here, please, for your own, and for the protection of those whom you wish to give information/guidance, do two things that you stated you did not do.

Oh, and as this is something I feel we all should remember, I am responding not to just the originator, but to all of us....

One, do not just take the word of someone else. ( Both of the people who responded to you are people that I would ask questions of or read and believe their answers as being correct, however that is because when I have asked questions the answers they gave matched up with the followup information that was given showing me where they got the information). However, there are many who will give an opinion, possibly even a widely believed to be true opinion and they would be wrong. Following their advice or opinion could prove to be a big mistake.

Second, When presented with a guide or the legislation, take the time to read it fully. If you skim it, you are not going to understand it, nor are you going to be able to properly guide others.

Another thought regarding reading what they included in their reply. If you ask someone for an answer and they take the time to give you reference or guides. They took time out of their day to find and present you with an answer. Respect them enough to take the time to investigate their efforts....

am I ranting too much today?

txpossum

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Just an aside here, not concerning prohibited knives but illegal knives (ones that may be owned but not carried) -- the Texas Penal Code does not set this out well, but it is illegal to carry a double edged knive, such as a Gerber Guardian or the style commenly referred to as a "boot knife" regardless of the length of the blade. Another thing to consider is that, in measuring the length of the blade some prosecutors do not measure in a straight line from the hilt to the tip, but measure the cutting edge, including any curves, that might put the "length" over the 5.5" legal limit.

dreyes89

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    Pasadena
    OUCH... Couple things here, please, for your own, and for the protection of those whom you wish to give information/guidance, do two things that you stated you did not do.

Oh, and as this is something I feel we all should remember, I am responding not to just the originator, but to all of us....

One, do not just take the word of someone else. ( Both of the people who responded to you are people that I would ask questions of or read and believe their answers as being correct, however that is because when I have asked questions the answers they gave matched up with the followup information that was given showing me where they got the information). However, there are many who will give an opinion, possibly even a widely believed to be true opinion and they would be wrong. Following their advice or opinion could prove to be a big mistake.

Second, When presented with a guide or the legislation, take the time to read it fully. If you skim it, you are not going to understand it, nor are you going to be able to properly guide others.

Another thought regarding reading what they included in their reply. If you ask someone for an answer and they take the time to give you reference or guides. They took time out of their day to find and present you with an answer. Respect them enough to take the time to investigate their efforts....

am I ranting too much today?

It's kinda hard to read in broad daylight while walking withthe glare in my phone, that's why I skimmed through it. And no your not ranting to much. Me personally I won't give much advice out unless I know its a fact. I mentioned this to my cousin, that certain individuals educated more in this field said it is ok. It is up to his discretion what he wants to do with the information I gave him with sources that I have. And I sent him the guide as well so he can learn more about how the laws work, etc.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    You do know people get delayed all the time, right? It doesn't mean someone is prohibited. After 3 business days your cousin can go pick up his gun, unless the Feds call back with a denial.

dreyes89

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    Pasadena
    You do know people get delayed all the time, right? It doesn't mean someone is prohibited. After 3 business days your cousin can go pick up his gun, unless the Feds call back with a denial.
    Yes I know, but it was just something in my mind and my cousins mind "in case" he does get denied.

Top Bottom