• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Yeah, I know most of you already know about this, but I've spoken to plenty of guys who were in around the time I was and never heard of it. Posting it here just to make sure you guys know what's out there for you. This bill is pretty amazing. It pays for your school, gives you flat rate for books (way more than you need if you buy used) AND gives you BAH of an E-5 every day of the semester:

Welcome to the GI Bill Web Site | The Home for All Educational Benefits Provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs

I am using it to get an associates in psychology. I am nearly done. Due to my extreme thrift I am able to live decently on the BAH year round without a job. And without work to distract me my GPA is 3.9. Can't complain.

And to those of you who already know this, make sure everyone else does to!
    Hurley's Gold

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Make sure you stay on top of your school while on this program. Mine misfilled a drop due to medical as a general withdraw. The VA took back the entire semesters BAH and then took back all the money they paid the school. So i lost my VA comp for a month and a half and then the school came after me for payment. It has happened to alot of people, that the school mis-reports something and you get screwed. Im not saying that it will happen to you but you need to keep an eye on them at all times.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I was on the post 9/11 gi bill between my enlistments and yes you have to watch your p's and q's also the flat rate for book was like 42 dollars per semester hour. My books were about $250 per class which I was shorted by a few dollars. Also you get the book stipend several weeks into the semester on your first or second BAH check. That means you pay for them out of pocket at first then get reimbursed for them several weeks later. Sometimes at the end of the semester.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Make sure you stay on top of your school while on this program. Mine misfilled a drop due to medical as a general withdraw. The VA took back the entire semesters BAH and then took back all the money they paid the school. So i lost my VA comp for a month and a half and then the school came after me for payment. It has happened to alot of people, that the school mis-reports something and you get screwed. Im not saying that it will happen to you but you need to keep an eye on them at all times.
    This happens very often with a lot of people I know

robertc1216

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    Cypress
    I think they are slowing messing up my paper work a differant way every semester, just for the hell of it. its something new every time. makes me want to rip my hair out, but I dont have any...

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I'm still looking into all the options, right now I have the Montgomery GI Bill but haven't yet decided if I wanna give it up and go with the post 911. Still not even sure what I want to study, thinking of going the technical route and getting some CNC and lathe training.

Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin
    Post 9/11 is a great deal. I'm using it now and you have to stay way ahead on paperwork to get paid in a timely manner but you can't beat it.

robertc1216

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    Cypress
    I'm still looking into all the options, right now I have the Montgomery GI Bill but haven't yet decided if I wanna give it up and go with the post 911. Still not even sure what I want to study, thinking of going the technical route and getting some CNC and lathe training.
    From what I have been told, going that route you would not want to switch. I think the Post 9/11 is much more restrictive on techical school. You can always switch to the Post 9/11. but once you make the switch you cant go back. The

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    From what I have been told, going that route you would not want to switch. I think the Post 9/11 is much more restrictive on techical school. You can always switch to the Post 9/11. but once you make the switch you cant go back. The

Exactly why I haven't switched, plus I payed the $1200 at $100/month for my first year of my enlistment so there's that on top. From what I gather so far if I go the technical route then Montgomery will be what I want, if I go to an actual college for a degree then the post 9/11 will be more beneficial. You think I would have put more thought into what I wanted to do when I got out.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone

If you make the switch you will get the money you paid into the MGIB back. Also, check out the Hazelwood Act to see if it will pay for your training.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    If you make the switch you will get the money you paid into the MGIB back. Also, check out the Hazelwood Act to see if it will pay for your training.

I have a family friend (vietnam vet) who went to school using his GI Bill benefits and his son is now going to school utilizing his dad's Hazelwood Act benefits so it seems like a pretty good deal being able to transfer them like that.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I paid for the Montgomery bill and made the switch to the post 9/11. I did not get my 1200 back.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I paid for the Montgomery bill and made the switch to the post 9/11. I did not get my 1200 back.

If I remember when they were talking about that when I was going through the separations class if you paid into it and switch to the Post 9/11 then after you exhaust those benefits there is extra semester hours available to you or something along those lines, can't remember exactly and the more I try to research the more I get confused.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    If I remember when they were talking about that when I was going through the separations class if you paid into it and switch to the Post 9/11 then after you exhaust those benefits there is extra semester hours available to you or something along those lines, can't remember exactly and the more I try to research the more I get confused.
    I believe this is correct. I don't think you get cut a check though for what you paid for the original gi bill. I know many people including myself who paid for the Montgomery and made the switch to post 9/11 and no one has got paid back for the there 1200 put in.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I have a family friend (vietnam vet) who went to school using his GI Bill benefits and his son is now going to school utilizing his dad's Hazelwood Act benefits so it seems like a pretty good deal being able to transfer them like that.

Since i am rated at 100% my wife has her own GI Bill and Hazelwood Act that she is using for school.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone

It is added to the funding for your school. They don't cut you a check or anything. Still, you aren't SOL for buying it. You still get slightly more benefits than those who chose not to buy and you don't lose money for doing so. It is a very fair trade if that is the route you go.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone

Texas treats its vets pretty well. It's nice to have double-dip educational benefits.

Top Bottom