• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Converse(San Antonio)
    Suppose they pass an open carry bill next year. Surely there will be a portion of that law allowing business owners to prohibit the carrying of firearms in their establishments like the 30.06 signs.

Has there been any discussion about simply making the 30.06 sign apply to the open carriers? In my opinion, concealed is the way to go. My only interest in an open carry law is so I don't have to worry about my shirt coming untucked when reaching to the top shelf.

But suppose that when all the open carriers bring attention to themselves and stores decide to put up 30.06 signs that otherwise would have never gone up

. I would much like to see a separate sign differentiating the wearing of a firearm openly being prohibited.

Hopefully this makes sense cellphones aren't exactly the best place to write out coherent thoughts.

What are your thoughts?
    Hurley's Gold

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Suppose they pass an open carry bill next year. Surely there will be a portion of that law allowing business owners to prohibit the carrying of firearms in their establishments like the 30.06 signs.

Has there been any discussion about simply making the 30.06 sign apply to the open carriers? In my opinion, concealed is the way to go. My only interest in an open carry law is so I don't have to worry about my shirt coming untucked when reaching to the top shelf.

But suppose that when all the open carriers bring attention to themselves and stores decide to put up 30.06 signs that otherwise would have never gone up

. I would much like to see a separate sign differentiating the wearing of a firearm openly being prohibited.

Hopefully this makes sense cellphones aren't exactly the best place to write out coherent thoughts.

What are your thoughts?

Open Carry won't pass if it is any way attached to 30.06, for your thought process exactly.

Also, you don't have to worry if your weapon accidentally becomes visible if you have a CHL.

"Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally displays the handgun in plain view of another person in a public place."

EDIT: well, you don't have to worry about getting in trouble as far as the law goes. If little Suzy homemaker sees it, she could always freak out, but you did not break the law.

Last edited:

Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Converse(San Antonio)
    Fine by me if it never makes it there. My only real inclination to get it is to get some gun rights back even if I'm not crazy about the practice.

I am aware of it being acceptable if it isn't flashed intentionally. I just think albeit perhaps wrongly that if people know it is legal then there may be less opportunity for confrontation.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Really? It is a denied right as far as I am concerned, and so many other states allow it while in Texas it remains prohibited.

The same concerns arose prior to concealed carry, and people learned to live with it. Granted, with that carry method it is less likely to draw attention; but simply knowing citizens were armed still freaked out some who claimed there would be blood flowing in the streets. Obviously, not only did that never happen, crime rates went down.

Whereas I doubt I would OC much outside of jaunts into the Hill Country, I am a firm advocate for its passing. I have gotten sick and tired of the liberal, anti-gun crowd implying that it would be unsafe. It would be nice to have it just to show them otherwise. People have to learn that firearms themselves are not dangerous, and that they have a positive impact on society and stopping crime. If they didn't, cops wouldn't carry them! As a law-abiding citizen, I should have the same right!

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    I believe that there are currently 6 states that don't allow any form of OC of side arms. Apparently there are rivers of blood flowing in 44 states & DC. But the 6 no-carry states include CA, IL, & NY - hell, those aren't states, those are Republiks. So TX's one of 3 - even HI & MA pretend to allow OC

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I believe that there are currently 6 states that don't allow any form of OC of side arms. Apparently there are rivers of blood flowing in 44 states & DC. But the 6 no-carry states include CA, IL, & NY - hell, those aren't states, those are Republiks. So TX's one of 3 - even HI & MA pretend to allow OC

You cannot say that Texas doesnt allow any form of open carry. It isn't true. Texas generally prohibits the carry of handguns. There are several exceptions; on your own premises, premises under your control, inside of or enroute to a vehicle you own or is under your control, with a CHL, while traveling, while engaged in hunting or sporting activity where a handgun is commonly used, as a armed security guard, while supervising a TABC licensee, and as an armed, plainsclothes bodyguard.

Out of those 9 circumstances, only 3 require the handgun be concealed. 60% of situations where the carry of a handgun is legal, open carry is legal.

It is certainly not true that Texas "does not allow some form of open carry". As far as those other forty something states, what are the specifics of each?

I support the removal of restrictions on handgun carry, but we will never get it if we throw around made up facts to support our position.

Old Timer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Rio Grande Valley
    I think the most likely thing to pass will be OC only with a valid CHL. That would make all existing 30.06 signs valid for both CC and OC. And it might have the affect of our seeing more 30.06 signs. There is no win-win in this battle. Half measures will always end up infringing on our rights to one extent or another. Until we get full constitutional carry we will have to put up with the infringments.

The interesting question is, will Constitutional Carry make 30.06 signs irrelevant?

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    You cannot say that Texas doesnt allow any form of open carry. It isn't true. Texas generally prohibits the carry of handguns. There are several exceptions; on your own premises, premises under your control, inside of or enroute to a vehicle you own or is under your control, with a CHL, while traveling, while engaged in hunting or sporting activity where a handgun is commonly used, as a armed security guard, while supervising a TABC licensee, and as an armed, plainsclothes bodyguard.

Out of those 9 circumstances, only 3 require the handgun be concealed. 60% of situations where the carry of a handgun is legal, open carry is legal.

It is certainly not true that Texas "does not allow some form of open carry". As far as those other forty something states, what are the specifics of each?

I support the removal of restrictions on handgun carry, but we will never get it if we throw around made up facts to support our position.

Well, they aren't my "made up facts". Here's what I was quoting. It's on the internet so it must be true. Bonjour
    Open Carry | OpenCarry.org

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Well, they aren't my "made up facts". Here's what I was quoting. It's on the internet so it must be true. Bonjour
    Open Carry | OpenCarry.org

That site is wrong on numerous counts. Their interpretation of Texas law is inaccurate, as is their interpretation of Michigan law (hell, by the looks of it most of their info is inaccurate). TXI covered the issues regarding Texas, so I'll cover Michigan. Up here, OC of pistols/sidearms is legal - but only if you have a valid MI CCW permit (and the pistol is registered with the state - though we're working on getting -that- abomination of a law repealed). OC of rifles/long guns is unrestricted, however, just like Texas. And up here, the cops (for the most part, anyway) know and respect the fact that OC is legal, and won't hassle you about it unless you're one of the goobers that keeps fondling their iron.

Regarding the "problems" with open carry - haven't seen any yet, unless you count a decline in criminal activity and people being more courteous/polite in general. Oh, and the occasional smile/appreciative nod from a passing cop.

Top Bottom