• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Didn't want to detract from the other threads gravity.

He ordered it at TWH. I thought 1/2 staff was reserved for military, statesmen and the like. Am I wrong?
    As of this posting, I don't intend a political slant. We'll see.....

Added 5hrs after OP
    ETA: To clarify, I meant to ask is it proper and/or historically correct to lower the flag to 1/2 staff over The White House for death in the military, statesmen and the like?
    Target Sports

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    It used to be, but ever since New Jersey did it for Whitney Houston it seems to be done for just about anyone. The sad part is, in many places it's no longer done for those KIA'd in Afghanistan because some see it as a "reminder" of such losses instead of honoring those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Plus, I thought there were four military individuals among the casualties...

Cheers! M2

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I don't feel that it's inappropriate in the case of a national tragedy like this.

I was pretty freakin' angry about that crackhead Whitney Houston getting treatment like that, though.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    That's might generous for people to think, it was for the active duty personnel.

That being said, I don't really have a problem with it. Maybe some people will look at it as elevating the people vs elevating government officials... I have a problem thinking a government official deserves a flag at half mast over the people who consent to his governing.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I disagree with a national or state order that flags be lowered for the death of entertainers, athletes, celebrities, etc.

Plus, I thought there were four military individuals among the casualties...

I did not imply I had a problem with lowering the flag but simply asked what protocol was. At the time of OP I didn't know any details of the deceased including if veterans were among them.

I don't feel that it's inappropriate in the case of a national tragedy like this.

Speaking only of the actual events, I wouldn't call Aurora a national tragedy. Neither was Colombine or even Ft. Hood. But I get your point and agree with you.

That's might generous for people to think, it was for the active duty personnel.

No doubt Obama had different reasons than we care to think of right now. How 'bout we let his intentions slide on this one for a little bit out of respect for others?

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    There were Active duty personnel killed so i dont have a problem with it in this case.
    100% with you there.

Normally I'd probably think it was inappropriate, but I think it's OK here. No doubt Obama did not do it for the right reason though.

The Twitney Houston thing was a slap in the face.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    AmyG
    Top Bottom