• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    We, in Deer Park 20mi. east of Houston, had similar conditions. We were without power for ~24 hours. Could have easily dealt with it for a longer period if it meant folks that needed power way more than we did were getting it. At this point water pressure seems normal at the house with still zero at the shop. I don't know if water to the shop has been cut off or it's simply a matter of 40 year old piping being so plugged up with mineral deposits that it froze up. This is a 4" main that runs in the over-head with no insulation. A couple of months ago a section was replaced in the shop adjacent to mine. I doubt you could'a shoved a hat pin with a 12# sledge hammer through it. Just to look at it you would assume it was 100% plugged.

But today.... the forecast is for full sunshine all day. That will push the metal shop buildings to +60 degrees regardless of outside temps. Solar energy is good - long as ya' don't have to rely on it!
    DK Firearms

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    We went 64 hours without grid-supplied power. Thankfully we have a generator that powered our natural gas-fired furnace or we would have died in the 12 to 18 degree range lows we had for over 24 hours, below 30 for 2 days, and we were in the area least affected. We are one block from Galveston Bay and all that water helps mitigate temperature changes. I can't imagine what thousands of other folks have been through, or how many have died from the incompetence of ercot.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I've been expecting the death tallies for awhile, now. (Assuming the News media truly reports the numbers). The death toll will be much higher than the 36 that by-line mentions, once all the homeless are added in. (Stacked like cord wood in a Nazi crematorium).

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    What are we expected to do about the homeless?

Don’t mean to sound callous, but aside from currently available shelters I don’t think there is a lot to be done. Not going to bring them to my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA

Don’t mean to sound callous, but aside from currently available shelters I don’t think there is a lot to be done. Not going to bring them to my house.

As I understand it.... there's some government folk in San Diego got room(s) and could put a few up till the weather shifts!

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

Could always buy some hotels to put em in....

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    So, a curiosity question for y’all.

Can this cascade of disasters also extend to the sewers and waste treatment?

With water shut off and requests to limit use in several of the large cities, the mix of gray water vs. black water will undoubtedly change.

If the norm is, say, 20% black and 80% gray and that gets flipped does that create a situation which is outside planned parameters causing another system to fail?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

With water shut off and requests to limit use in several of the large cities, the mix of gray water vs. black water will undoubtedly change.

If the norm is, say, 20% black and 80% gray and that gets flipped does that create a situation which is outside planned parameters causing another system to fail?

Sub freezing temperatures sure can affect sewage and drainage systems. Can cause all sort of problems. Equipment and parts breakage. Blockages from ice. Numerous problems. Higher drainage from melting ice and snow.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

Now know why you go by "big dipper"...

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Good news! We got our water back on. Right before we left to go to town for a few things, the water started trickling out to some degree. Enough to fill the toilet and flush it, albeit slowly in refilling. When we left, I noticed about six trucks and guys at the well working. When we got back home, the water pressure had increased, so I went ahead and turned the water heater back on.

Four days without a shower, I am getting a bit ripe!

Thank you Lord!

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Good news! We got our water back on. Right before we left to go to town for a few things, the water started trickling out to some degree. Enough to fill the toilet and flush it, albeit slowly in refilling. When we left, I noticed about six trucks and guys at the well working. When we got back home, the water pressure had increased, so I went ahead and turned the water heater back on.

Four days without a shower, I am getting a bit ripe!

Thank you Lord!
    And a pile of laundry to boot.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    Luckily, I'm on Co-Op electric, along with the water company that we're on.
    We never lost power or had any water issue's with this weather ordeal.
    My central heat/ac has been broke for years - ain't worth wasting money on it. So, the 4 space heater's that usually keep the house warm just wouldn't cut it. Luckily, I had 3 full propane tanks and my Big Buddy heater. It kept the house nice and toasty all week long.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Unlike many others here, our power is still out since Monday at 9:04am. I have 2 elderly parents in their 80's who live with us.
    We have one small space heater pointed at them in their room, and 2 electric blankets running off my generator that has been a lifesaver.
    To say I'm pissed would be an exponential understatement.

Top Bottom