• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    I am on a Kia Forte Forum. I bought it because it was cheap had some good equipment and had a good power train warranty. My Daughter uses it most of the time. There are countless posts about how can they improve the drag times and improve performance. I think to myself you have to be kidding me it was never designed for that.
    Target Sports

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    That's the fun of building tuner cars.
    Taking something that was never built for performance, and making it something that absolutely kicks ass.
    The kiddies with no money want to look fast, but end up with shinny, lowered, obnoxiously loud imports, help keep the Big Block, Pig Iron, V-Shit guys in line. They never really know who is going to hand them their ass.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Oh we had so much fun back in the heyday of street racing. All the tuner car people would come out thinking they had something and try to lock in a race with things they apparently had no clue about. The ricers were smart enough to stay away, they knew their stickerchargers and grapefruit cans weren't enough. They'd just shout from the curbs "well yeah you're faster in a straight line but I'll get you in the twisties!" While not getting anyone in the twisties because they cut the coil springs and their cars would swap ends when the body bounced off the snubbers. But oh the tuner cars, those guys supplied so many laughs and a fair bit of money. The excuses though when they'd lose. You had to get them to agree to a 3rd party holding the cash to avoid a fight, because they were notorious for not wanting to settle up. Agree to everything before the race, then claim some malfunction or that you cheated after. Back in those days (20 years ago now) some were probably feeling quick with a car in the 11's, while many of us were in the high 10's or better with our daily drivers. A good friend of mine went 10.82 in a 2000 Camaro with nothing but ET streets, a converter, and a 150 shot. I can't even imagine what the scene would look like today where you can easily make real power and bone stock Hellcats are running 10.80's on a radial.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I think you will find that most new cars and trucks are 4 cylinder. Sure there is a honking turbo and intercooler making 300+ hp. It is just sad that it is happening. I read new car tests and they are powerful and have decent performance. Then I nearly fall out of my chair when they have a 4 banger.
    Rewind back to the late 70’s cars when they thought that turbos were the answer and like today they reduced the number of cylinders. Take a look around at how many of those cars are still on the road. The only one that I can think of is the Buick grand nationals. There is a reason they are not around. They sucked. EFI allowed cars to get the cylinders back and meet mileage and emission standards.
    I don’t think we will ever recover from this. The days of 300k mile engines is over.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    The GN is a collector car now, which might be partly why we don’t see them. That and the GMC Typhoon and Syclone. Speaking of which, there’s a Youtube video of someone buiding a budget Syclone using a clapped out S10 with the AWD system and 4.3L from an Astro van and a cheap Chinese turbo. Total spend, $6k.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    The GN is a collector car now, which might be partly why we don’t see them. That and the GMC Typhoon and Syclone. Speaking of which, there’s a Youtube video of someone buiding a budget Syclone using a clapped out S10 with the AWD system and 4.3L from an Astro van and a cheap Chinese turbo. Total spend, $6k.

tony angelo i saw it a couple of months ago pretty cool!

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    If it has a blue oval, horns, or a bow tie - the best upgrade is to drive it to your local Toyota dealer on the last day of the month, find the hungriest salesman there, and trade it in on a Tacoma or Tundra :what:
    I was gonna suggest a set of those stick-on extractors for the fenders, but ya, this works too

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    I think you will find that most new cars and trucks are 4 cylinder. Sure there is a honking turbo and intercooler making 300+ hp. It is just sad that it is happening. I read new car tests and they are powerful and have decent performance. Then I nearly fall out of my chair when they have a 4 banger.
    Rewind back to the late 70’s cars when they thought that turbos were the answer and like today they reduced the number of cylinders. Take a look around at how many of those cars are still on the road. The only one that I can think of is the Buick grand nationals. There is a reason they are not around. They sucked. EFI allowed cars to get the cylinders back and meet mileage and emission standards.
    I don’t think we will ever recover from this. The days of 300k mile engines is over.
    When shopping for Honda CRVs a couple of years back, engine options were a 1.5 turbo that produced under 200hp or a 2.0 hybrid with over 200hp. Granted it's not a heavy truck but I've rarely seen turbos go the distance. Yes, the hybrid has a battery to worry about but I'm covered 8 years/120k miles and she tends to get a vehicle in less time. I did have a small Mazda commuter car years back with a 1.5 non-turbo that was in excellent shape when I sold it at just under 200k miles. I just have a hard time thinking of a turbo constantly spinning up in a heavy pickup.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    The most practical upgrade that I can think of is selling your car at less than 100k miles if it came with a CVT transmission. Everyone seems shocked when they have to come up with $7k for a replacement. Never buy a higher mile used one unless you enjoy spending ludicrous cash to fix or replace one.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    The most practical upgrade that I can think of is selling your car at less than 100k miles if it came with a CVT transmission. Everyone seems shocked when they have to come up with $7k for a replacement. Never buy a higher mile used one unless you enjoy spending ludicrous cash to fix or replace one.
    I've read that a few Subaru owners had the CVT replaced as the approached the 100,000 mile warranty. Others are over175,000 without failure.

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    Read the thread title (not the thread) and thought these very to be a very practical upgrade to almost any vehicle. Headrest hooks can be had for as little as 50 cents a piece on Amazon. My girls use them in the back seat of the 4runner and I have 4 hanging in the cargo area behind the second row seats to hold all kinds of sh!t from hats to grocery bags to slung short barreled rifles depending on the shenanigans at hand.
    863cfeb12edc88ce32a904d45540c204.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    Running mid travel suspension and 35's on the prerunner makes it a little harder for the vertically or muscularly challenged to climb into so I have cheap grab handles on the headrests. My oldest likes hers horizontal but my youngest has hers hanging vertically and grabs it like a dangling rope.
    ba4875c386d50139d1e6d91fd3922c18.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    remove any dead weight, floor mats, sound deadening, insulation, and the carpet from the trunk to make the car lighter, if you dont care about luxury the sound system and heater add a lot of weight too.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    remove any dead weight, floor mats, sound deadening, insulation, and the carpet from the trunk to make the car lighter, if you dont care about luxury the sound system and heater add a lot of weight too.
    What?
    No heater?
    You crazy.

Top Bottom