• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    NRA generally does not lobby at the state level.

TSRA does the heavy lifting. Folks need to join TSRA and make it an issue, just like was done 20 years ago to get CHL.
    I did. I sent an email. I got a snarky reply about how they'd make it an issue if it were a concern for their members, but it's not. And then some ranting about how irresponsible open carry advocates harassed reps and made it completely unfeasable. It was kind of sad. I definitely won't be giving any more money to the TSRA for a while. But I might be dropping a line in the next letter to my reps about how the TSRA doesn't represent the views of its membership.

Cliffh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    North Texas
    In the big picture....OC isn't even on the radar.

Depends on the range of your radar. What would it take to get you onboard with the constitutional carry effort?

I did. I sent an email. I got a snarky reply about how they'd make it an issue if it were a concern for their members, but it's not. And then some ranting about how irresponsible open carry advocates harassed reps and made it completely unfeasable. It was kind of sad. I definitely won't be giving any more money to the TSRA for a while. But I might be dropping a line in the next letter to my reps about how the TSRA doesn't represent the views of its membership.

Sounds like a copy of the reply I received. Did yours also include a brief TX history lesson?

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Sounds like a copy of the reply I received. Did yours also include a brief TX history lesson?

Nope.

What do you mean by Constitutional Carry? Are you referring to open carry of a handgun without a license? I can tell you that open carry with a license was being drafted last session by Rep. Debbie Riddle and two things happened. Her office was harassed by those who wanted No license to the point that she withdrew her request for draft legislation. In addition, she discovered there to be no support for this kind of legislation at this time. She could certainly have filed anything she wants but she wisely shopped the House floor first.

TSRA will continue to work our agenda first. If other pro-gun issues appear to have support, we will help move them along.

Cliffh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Yes, they're not going to push for anything not on their agenda, but that's OK. Their offer of support for other organizations is a pleasant surprise; and it's much better than if they were planning to obstruct any other organizations.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Depends on the range of your radar. What would it take to get you onboard with the constitutional carry effort?
    It would take quite a bit. I don't see it as a priority for myself or anyone I know. IMHO it is a ridiculus way to carry and is done 99% for show and 1% for self defense. I would sooner support CC w/o a license. At least that makes some sense.
    I am not against it, I just dont see any benefit in spending energy there at this point in time. It has no support in the Capitol and isn't gonna happen anytime in the near future.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    The reason is to expand our liberties. Most people will not do it, but want the option should the situation call for it.

I for one would be less afraid to carry a full size handgun if I wouldn't get in trouble if my shirt rode up over it every now and then.

Tiny pistols like my LCP suck compared to a full sized service pistol.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I for one would be less afraid to carry a full size handgun if I wouldn't get in trouble if my shirt rode up over it every now and then.
    As has been stated time and time again on this forum, your shirt riding up and inadvertantly showing your gun isnt illegal now...

As stated, I am not against it. It just isnt a priority for me.

Cliffh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    North Texas
    It would take quite a bit. I don't see it as a priority for myself or anyone I know. IMHO it is a ridiculous way to carry and is done 99% for show and 1% for self defense. I would sooner support CC w/o a license. At least that makes some sense.
    I am not against it, I just don't see any benefit in spending energy there at this point in time. It has no support in the Capitol and isn't gonna happen anytime in the near future.

I respect your thoughts on the matter - even if I'd reverse your percentages. Here's hoping you'll change your stance in the future.

If you don't mind, who are these 99%'ers who just want to show off?

I've noticed that people tend to congregate with folks who think in basically the same ways. This can lead one to the conclusion that what they and their associates believe is what the majority of the population believe. I'm including myself in that statement. Having been around people who open carry, I believe that the majority (+51%) of the population agrees with OC.

BTW, there is some support in the Legislature for both OC and Constitutional Carry. And Constitutional Carry does include unlicensed concealed carry...

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Open carry puts you at a DISTINCT disadvantage in a situation when you may need to use deadly force. In doing so, you are playing poker and showing your cards.
    I dont really think it ought to be illegal and if someone wants to OC, doing it doesn't bother me. It is just tactically disadvantageous. The 99% I speak of are just from my personal experience. I drink coffee with a large group of local guys many times a week. Most are retirement age but a couple are in their 30s and 40s, probably a dozen or more show up everyday.
    Today I asked them about OC and the unanimous conclusion was basically..."why?" None of them are in LE but most asked why you would want a potential assailant to see your weapon. These are ALL hard core pro gun conservative farmers and ranchers. As I have talked to people over the past year or so, those who are knowledgeable about guns and tactics and self defense usually laugh at OC.
    You want to know who the 99% are? Just go to a SAXET Gun Show. There they are. Morons galore, who would love to strap on a hog leg and show the world how tough they are.
    I wish you luck with getting some momentum for OC...it just isnt a movement that is near and dear to me.

BTW....I am a big supporter of campus carry.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio

1. Cops dont wear costumes.
    2. Cops are charged with doing something entirely different than the general public is charged with. Police use "command presence" to influence peoples actions. The fact that they have the ability to arrest makes people act better (at least in theory) when they are present. So hopefully, their uniform is distinctive enough to scream "I'm a cop" to those that are in eyeshot.
    Unfortunately, what OC by most civilians does is scream "look at me" or "shoot me first". I deal with the same mentality even IN LE. New cops always want to throw a badge on their belt and a gun ontheir hip and go to Wal Mart on their day off. They now have the right to carry openly and want to use it. It is a "look at me" thing. Thankfully, the vast majority quickly learn that having their weapon (and badge) hidden will serve them FAR better than putting it on display.

If you are going to hang your arguement on OC making you safer (I am talking about the actual act of openly carrying a firearm) you will get shreaded by those who oppose you.
    Which I remind you, I am not amongst.

Update: KAK's comment was erased but since I spent 2 minutes of my life typing this I will leave it for him to ponder.

Cliffh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    North Texas
    LOL....you are welcome. I hope I didnt come across as argumentative as that was not my intention. I want the reader to see that I have a reasons why I formed my opinions on the matter.
    From a 2A standpoint it would be a good win for us...

I didn't read your reply as argumentative. You seemed to be giving your reasoning with no BS.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    The reason is to expand our liberties. Most people will not do it, but want the option should the situation call for it.

Tiny pistols like my LCP suck compared to a full sized service pistol.

Correction - it's to *RESTORE* our liberties. You're right - most people won't do it. Even if you travel through AZ, you won't see a lot of people doing it. Open carry (actually, "constitutional carry") solves a lot of issues regarding the accidental reveal, printing, and traveling issues that still persist.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Open carry (actually, "constitutional carry") solves a lot of issues regarding the accidental reveal, printing, and traveling issues that still persist.
    What issues are these? Accidental reveal and printing isnt illegal now, yet that gets brought up at least 3 times a week on here. What traveling issue is there?
    I suppose those of us that live outside huge cities dont get to see these perceived problems as much, everyone has guns on them or in their vehicle, we know they do. If they aren't engaged in criminal activity, nobody cares.

My suggestion for those that fight for this cause is not to use printing, traveling or other perceived issues. Once the antis prove that those actions arent illegal NOW...it takes away your reason for OC. Stick with the constitutional issues and I think you will get much further.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    Do yall think this will pass?? As a college student I sure as heck hope so. I always thought that the right to carry on campus would come long after Ive graduated. Maybe not!!!!

Top Bottom