Hurley's Gold

Price Check: Sig P225 (Gun of the Month)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GULFPILOT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Ausin, Texas
    Just wanted the board's advice before making this purchase. I have an opportunity to purchase a Sig P225 (Not a P6) Gun of the Month Model. This was a limited run Sig made for each model. This model comes complete with factory Novaks. Gun comes complete with all the paperwork, hangtag and two magazines. I would rate the gun at about 96%-98% with under 500 round through it. Do ya'll think $450 flat is a good price? With the recent flood of P6's on the market for around $300 im not sure. Thanks
    DK Firearms

Shiner Bock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    DFW
    FWIW the 2008 Blue Book of Gun Values lists the P225 as:

$595 - 100%
    $525 - 98%
    $450 - 95%
    $425 - 90%

I'd say it was a good deal at $450 OTD. Even a P6 will run you about $325 OTD at cheapest with shipping and transfer fees. I think an extra $125 for the gun you describe would be well worth it.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    For an actual P225, and in the condition you described, $450 is definitely a fair deal. I still see some people trying to sell P225's for over $500 occasionally. I never really see them under $400 though.

Just so everyone is aware, for all intents and purposes the P225 is nearly identical to the P6. Yes there are some minor differences in the hammer design, supposedly the type of finish, and the feedramps of earlier P6 models. HOWEVER, they are still some 98-99% THE SAME GUN. I've heard a few people whine about this on various forums about how the P225 is a "completely different gun". That's like taking 2 identical black kettles and arguing that one is a slightly lighter shade of black. Anyways, just thought I would preemptively throw that out there in case one of those guys comes along. If you like the P225, great! Even though P6's are effectively almost the same and cost significantly less, from a standpoint of quality I would gladly pay that price for one of those guns. They are excellent quality like any other Sig. The P6's are a bargain, but if you feel you would prefer a P225 don't feel like you are getting short changed as they are still worth the money.

ChicagoTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2008
    Allen, TX
    I basically agree with you HK_Fiend, I would just like to highlight what I consider to be the most important difference between the 225 and the P6 - which is the stiffer mainspring (this is easily remedied with a quick order from Wolff springs however).
    Also the hammer is bothersomely ugly to me, I have yet to find someone selling replacement 225 hammers - if they did I might be inclined to buy a P6 (that is, if I could find one around here for a decent price).

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Ah, forgot about the mainspring.

Yeah, that cutaway hammer is annoying. ;) Supposedly they did that so that if an officer ever had an ND, it would be apparent if the gun had been dropped on to the hammer as that cutaway section would bend inwards from the force of the impact. Still, they are lame and I found that if excessive (IE - winter) clothing or loose clothing was worn, I could actually run into issues of it sometimes catching on the open section of the hammer.

You can get a regular non-cutaway hammer here:

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-hammer_p220-225-226-228-229-245-nickel.html

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-hammer_p220-225-226-228-229-245_phosphate.html

The plain black phosphate one is $45. I don't believe there is any real difference between the P220 hammers and the P6 or some various other Sigs, at least as far as the internal mounting portion goes. Personally if (more like when, since I'm a Sig addict) I ever had a P6 again I would just chop that piece off and buy an extra mag with the money. ;)

Top Bottom