• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    Primary Arms M4 red dot clone review

First off, this will be an ongoing process, At most, I get to the range once a week and have the opportunity to batter a weapon around while in stalk hunting (any game) is about 30 times a year. So bear with me if it takes a while to get this thing some respect or write it off as needing replacement.

I've heard read good reviews of these, heard about how good the customer service is, how good they are for the price ($89.00 plus shipping), Texas owned business and quick ship time (it is quick), but never really heard anything with any substantial firing time behind it.

After I quit jumping around like a school-girl because my toy had just arrived, I took it out of the box. First thing that I noticed once in hand is the thing is built incredibly stout. I can't say anything for the guts of it yet but as far as the tube and mount, they have that figured out. As far as weight, it weighs 12 1/8 oz.

Mounted up to the rifle and looks are very tacticool.

Looking through the sight, there is a blue hue to the lens like most red dots. Optics are clear and smooth, there's no chipped edges or junk hanging around on the inside either like what you see with some other brands. And as well, they kept in mind that co-witnessing with the irons is a good idea.
    The reticule has 4 modes, 2 moa dot, cross-hair, circle 2moa dot and the haired circle. Brightness settings range from 1 to 7.
    With the brightness setting on 7 on a very bright Lubbock day, there is a bit of ghosting when looking at a white target, but aside from that, very pronounced and clean.

That's all I have for now, as I rake up a round count on this thing i'll keep it updated
    Hope this helps for the rest of you who don't want to break the bank on a plinker sight.
    Guns International

Last edited by a moderator:

Doc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    Carrollton, TX
    Man I seriously appreciate you taking the time to review this. This is the exact scope I'm looking to get and I tend to get really wishy washy when it comes to making a purchase. Your input will help immensely!

gerritm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    seabrook, tx
    I have a Primary Arms 5x magnifier that I use on my AR with my Aimpoint. I put the Aimpoint on one of Primary Arms cantilever mount to move it forward. It is a very good combo. The magnifier works very well and PA's mount are sturdy and dependable. Let us know how the scope works, I have met the guys from PA at the gun show and they are very helpful and great to work with.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    I've had one for about 200 rounds fired, and so far it seems to be solid and holds zero better than I do. ;) I haven't had any real problems, just a couple of nit-picky things. One is that the mounting nut had loosened just a litte when I checked it after the first 100 rounds. The instructions say to use a bit of blue Loctite if that happens, so you might as well do that when you first mount it. The other thing is that the clicks were sometimes a little bit indistinct with the elevation adjustment. Not a big deal, and once you're dialed in it shouldn't matter, but it's just one of those things you notice. The dot-circle reticle ended up being my favorite; for me, it was the easiest of them to see in the daylight.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    Well after the first range trip, the sight is still holding zero. The circle dot is by far the best out of the choices. At 50 yards I was holding a 1.5 inch group with crappy ammo. I fired whatever I could get my hands on, 55 gr fmj Remington UMC, 55gr. fmj pmc, and 62 gr. ss109 pmc. All in all I fired 120 rounds and it held zero. I did my best to find some 77 grain ammo but couldn't find any.

I did however learn that with a heavy buffer and a auto bcg, 55gr. factory loads are not to be trusted. When the rifle was shpik und shpan it ate through the first 30 rounds fine, then ate another 11 and started to get picky.
    When firing the 62 grain ss109 there was not one failure.

I still don't think that 120 rounds is enough to justify this as a great optic but i'm still pleased with it. Co-witnessing is a big plus. Just don't expect to drive tacks, this was meant to be a CQB optic and fits the bill fine.

I'll keep it updated when I can find some more ammo (hopefully some 77 grain) and get out to the range again.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    I did however learn that with a heavy buffer and a auto bcg, 55gr. factory loads are not to be trusted.

In anticipation of getting my new mid-length barrel, I changed over to a (Young Manufacturing) M16 BCG and H2 buffer, but I also added a Sprinco blue action spring kit (comes with a heavier extractor spring). I installed the heavier extractor spring in the M16 BCG when I installed the new action spring, but haven't had an opportunity to go to the range with it yet (and probably won't have an opportunity for at least the next three weeks). For $23, you certainly don't have anything to loose in trying it.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Well................I ordered one (same as dobarker's but it was the $99 one plus tax) Thursday afternoon....and got it Saturday in the mail! Got it mounted on my CX4 Storm and will be checking it out and zeroing it on Wed. afternoon. Service was great and it looks good. Now if it will just work good, I'll be a happy camper!
    Edit to add the website picture. I haven't taken any yet but it looks just like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    In anticipation of getting my new mid-length barrel, I changed over to a (Young Manufacturing) M16 BCG and H2 buffer, but I also added a Sprinco blue action spring kit (comes with a heavier extractor spring). I installed the heavier extractor spring in the M16 BCG when I installed the new action spring, but haven't had an opportunity to go to the range with it yet (and probably won't have an opportunity for at least the next three weeks). For $23, you certainly don't have anything to loose in trying it.

We trouble shot the problem and found out that it was the gas port off the barrel. It is a daniel defense 1/7 chrome line and the gas port was drilled to .055, it should be at least at mil-spec of .063. I took a drimel on low speed with a 1/16 drill bit and opened it out.

Charlie, did it cost $99 because of the mount?

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    I'm not exactly sure why it's $10 more. The only difference I can find in the description of each is mine has only one CR2 battery for a 300+ hr. life and the $89 sight uses 2 AA (I think) for a 1000+ hr. life. The canted mount was $10 more so I got the one that came with it. ??? I'm kinda' at a loss as to the differences, if any, other than the battery.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    That is a great review, and appetizing. I doubt that i'll be baking or or drenching it....however, i've just been given an idea. Perhaps, if I write to Marshall, the owner of Primary Arms, and ask him if the 1 year warranty is no questions asked....

Texas42, you sir have just given several corrupt ideas to this tainted mind on how to properly abuse the m4. I've seen torture tests on the m3's and now the micro dots but none yet on the M4.

Primary Arms has an e-mail on the way. I'll let all of you know how it goes.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    I'll be sighting mine in for the first time tomorrow on my Beretta CX4 Storm in .45 ACP. I'll be shooting 50 to 100 rds. to see how everything works out. I've got a fairly new Glock 23 that I will be shooting more than anything else still doing the break-in thing. I'll report on my successes (hopefully) with the CX4 and the Primary Arms red dot.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    Well folks, we have ourselves a good proper review in the making. I contacted the Primary Arms service department and got the nod on warranty, so, let the testing begin.
    I'll come up with some sort of plan tonight and hopefully have the testing started by the weekend.

So, if any of you have any ideas to torture test this thing, let me know. I'm trying to keep it within the realms of what the rifle itself could survive. So no running over the scope with a bulldozer or anything like that.

To be honest I thought seriously about mounting the sight on a kids airsoft rifle and seeing how it would survive what they do.

Here's the correspondence just to show how great of customer service they have.

I wrote this to them:
    "Hopefully it's Marshall that's reading this, if not, we'll see how it goes.

I recently purchased a Primary Arms M4 style red dot from you good folks and am curious to the terms of the warranty.

I am a member of texasguntalk.com and since I got the sight, i've been posting reviews about how it handles shooting on a 5.56 AR.

I haven't found any torture testing on the M4 from any site and was wondering if the warranty would extend to cover: Extended exposure to high heat (200F), Water submersion over extended periods (2-4 days), drop tests, Freezing temperature tests, and recoil tests (mounting to a 12ga. and firing magnum slugs).

Thank you for the great products, prices and service."

They returned the e-mail within 2 hours of my request. Fast service, and very friendly:
    "
    Hi Don,

I spoke with Marshall and he is fine with it. If you could send us a few photos as you do the tests though we'd love to have some on file. Also, we know for sure that amount of water exposure will affect the sight. We tell customers the sight is designed to handle exposure to rain and light water submersion (dropping in a puddle for example). Eventually with prolonged exposure water will get into the sight window. Now I haven't personally tested the sight on 12 gauge recoil but I'll be curious to see how it does. Anyway as I said for the sake of science we'll honor the warranty for sure. Hope it holds up well like the micro dot did!"

Thanks,
    Brett

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    First test. Sub-zero temperatures. I removed the sight from my AR and put it in the deep freeze. Temperature is about -12F.

View attachment 5151 View attachment 5152

First problem noticed: Brightness/On-Off dial is very stiff, but still works.
    After 8 hours in the freeze, it basically just got cold. The light still turns on and rolls through the settings. The lens caps get a little sticky because the springs get cold and don't operate as strongly. I'll leave the scope there for the night and remove it tomorrow.
    Then, it will be baked around 130-150F to see how it handles temperature extremes. I figure if it's a temperature that a human couldn't survive, a sight won't have much use anyways.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    Test #2: Bake test.
    I baked it at around 150-160F to simulate the heat from being left in a car on a hot day, or more than a survivable temperature for a human.
    How'd the sight do? Well, it did just fine. The lens caps got a bit soft and wouldn't seal right but the sight itself worked just fine.
    And yes, my oven is a little nasty. The grill and the stove top get all the care.
    View attachment 5157

Took the rifle out to the range today and the sight after being mounted and dismounted twice, baked and froze, has kept within 1/2 an inch of original point of impact with a 50 yard zero.

There's a round count of 220 rounds of 55gr. fmj's and 62gr. ss109's fired with the sight so far.
    As well, the rifle functioning problem has been solved. It was a problem in the size of the gas port.

More reviews to come as time permits.

Top Bottom