• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    In TX..........you are solid by just making sure the buyer is a TX resident, of age, and not a known criminal to you.

You don't need a background check......no BOS....no need to photograph ID.....it is a cash transaction of property.

can I also add here not a known mental defective?

By this is meant known mentally ill or unsuitable mental faculties to the point where court orders have committed this person.

Not just simple mental health problems, that’s not a disqualifier.

this falls under prohibited person too, yes, all?
    Guns International

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Of age here means they must be 21 or older for a handgun sale. How you confirm that is your business but if they are of any questionable age you will need to see a DL or some paperwork showing age. If you sell a gun to someone not legally able to own it, it could come back to bite your bottom.

This site will argue all day about a bill of sale. I can only tell you what I do at risk of a flamethrowing incident, I use a bill of sale. Darn, that was a hot flamethrower. I don't care what others say of the value. I don't buy or sell without one. That's me, you do whatever you like. You don't legally need a bill of sale in Texas. Nuff said.

Under 21 is not prohibited from buying a handgun, just not able to buy one from a FFL, am I right?

Federal Youth Handgun Safety Act only applies to those under 18. My 20 year old possesses my Glock 19 and uses it for home defense and car carry and from what I have carefully researched, that’s legal. He is not a prohibited person in Texas for handguns, being 20. Yes?

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo

By this is meant known mentally ill or unsuitable mental faculties to the point where court orders have committed this person.

LOL..... My wife says i fall in the simple mental health problem catagory

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Of age here means they must be 21 or older for a handgun sale. How you confirm that is your business but if they are of any questionable age you will need to see a DL or some paperwork showing age. If you sell a gun to someone not legally able to own it, it could come back to bite your bottom.

This site will argue all day about a bill of sale. I can only tell you what I do at risk of a flamethrowing incident, I use a bill of sale. Darn, that was a hot flamethrower. I don't care what others say of the value. I don't buy or sell without one. That's me, you do whatever you like. You don't legally need a bill of sale in Texas. Nuff said.

Re-read Texas law. A person that's 18 can buy a handgun in a private sale or be gifted one, and it's legal.

What if that person was 17 and they showed you a fake ID? And you did a BOS? Explain how that BOS is going to protect you.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Under 21 is not prohibited from buying a handgun, just not able to buy one from a FFL, am I right?

Federal Youth Handgun Safety Act only applies to those under 18. My 20 year old possesses my Glock 19 and uses it for home defense and car carry and from what I have carefully researched, that’s legal. He is not a prohibited person in Texas for handguns, being 20. Yes?

Absolutely correct, Diva.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019

A person could be mentally defective, and be prohibited from legally purchasing a firearm, and appear quite normal. Even crazy people can have moments of clarity!

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Re-read Texas law. A person that's 18 can buy a handgun in a private sale or be gifted one, and it's legal.

What if that person was 17 and they showed you a fake ID? And you did a BOS? Explain how that BOS is going to protect you.
    Re-read the other posts. I have acknowledged my error about age once before. Stop beating a dead horse.

There are a bunch of anti BOS people on this site that are more vociferous than the anti-Trumpers. I call it freedom of choice. You want to do a BOS that's your business. What I don't understand is why so many people are upset about it. It's not your business. Get a life. Ford vs Chevy. Who cares.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Re-read the other posts. I have acknowledged my error about age once before. Stop beating a dead horse.

There are a bunch of anti BOS people on this site that are more vociferous than the anti-Trumpers. I call it freedom of choice. You want to do a BOS that's your business. What I don't understand is why so many people are upset about it. It's not your business. Get a life. Ford vs Chevy. Who cares.

Whatever. You are the one that enjoys playing "what if" scenarios in many of your posts.

IF frogs had wings, they probably wouldn't bump their asses when they jumped!

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    It boils down to who needs anti 2nd amendment people when gun owners want to impose unneeded infringements on themselves.

Riksors

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2019
    Georgetown
    No BOS but I take a single picture of both our Texas ID’s/DL’s/and or LTC all together. Regardless, if I was the buyer or seller.

If there is no form of local(Texas) and legal verification then our sale is a “No Go”.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    It boils down to who needs anti 2nd amendment people when gun owners want to impose unneeded infringements on themselves.
    How I conduct a buy or sell is none of your business unless we are conducting a transaction. Now if you have something that you want to sell me we can discuss the transaction and come up with a reasonable conclusion, or not. The decision though will be made by the two of us as gentlemen without the inflammatory yelling and screaming on this site. Calling me anti 2A is about as far from the truth as possible.
    For the life of me, I don't see why so many people are so loud about how a private transaction is done. Two people, a buyer and a seller, can decide among themselves how to conduct a legal sale and the requirements that they want to meet, either has free will to walk away from the sale. Free will my friend. Not ranting about BOS.
    I know, your next comment is that you will never have a transaction with me. Your choice.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    How I conduct a buy or sell is none of your business unless we are conducting a transaction. Now if you have something that you want to sell me we can discuss the transaction and come up with a reasonable conclusion, or not. The decision though will be made by the two of us as gentlemen without the inflammatory yelling and screaming on this site. Calling me anti 2A is about as far from the truth as possible.
    For the life of me, I don't see why so many people are so loud about how a private transaction is done. Two people, a buyer and a seller, can decide among themselves how to conduct a legal sale and the requirements that they want to meet, either has free will to walk away from the sale. Free will my friend. Not ranting about BOS.
    I know, your next comment is that you will never have a transaction with me. Your choice.
    Would you go through an FFL and pay any associated dealer fees for the transaction? That would actually protect you more than a signature on what amounts to toilet paper.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Why should something not required be acceptable? If it becomes "widely acceptable" by choice, why not make it a law requiring a Bill of Sale? You won't mind right? And of course there has to be a way to make sure you are complying. A notary or police station ok? And of course they have to make sure everything is legal of course. So why not require a back round check too? You're already ok with that for a new one, right? And of course they will need to track all the info of the sale to be able to verify things later. Only way to do that is a registration system.
    I mean, it only makes sense. Right? You do want to make sure you are protected, right?
    A Bill of Sale is not required by law. But there are those that would like to see it so. Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Would you go through an FFL and pay any associated dealer fees for the transaction? That would actually protect you more than a signature on what amounts to toilet paper.
    No I would not go through an FFL unless the seller insisted and it was something I absolutely 100% wanted and it was the only way I could buy it. I take that back. I might do it if the seller lowered the price enough to make it a really good deal. It would really have to save me a lot of money as I don't like wasting my time. I can't think of a gun that would meet those qualifications. If the seller insisted on a BOS though and I knew about it up front I would make the deal. If the seller refused a BOS there would be no deal. I have bought many guns privately and personally have never had a seller refuse doing a BOS. I have never had one that would take my check, all wanted cash. I have never figured out why this is so complicated or infuriating for some people. It is a private deal between two people that can set the rules they want to follow and neither of them has to do a sale or a buy as long as it is a legal sale.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Why should something not required be acceptable? If it becomes "widely acceptable" by choice, why not make it a law requiring a Bill of Sale? You won't mind right? And of course there has to be a way to make sure you are complying. A notary or police station ok? And of course they have to make sure everything is legal of course. So why not require a back round check too? You're already ok with that for a new one, right? And of course they will need to track all the info of the sale to be able to verify things later. Only way to do that is a registration system.
    I mean, it only makes sense. Right? You do want to make sure you are protected, right?
    A Bill of Sale is not required by law. But there are those that would like to see it so. Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    This has nothing to do with requirements by law or protection or registration. This has only to do with two people deciding how they want to conduct a private transaction that is already legal. The guy wants to meet at Lowe's and I want to meet at Home Depot. If we can't agree we don't have a sale or a buy. He insists cash, I want to give him a check. We make our own deal and it is our deal. You want to sell or buy something go for any way you want. I don't care how you do it, I don't care if you use a bill of sale, notary or FFL. It is not my business how you conduct your business. I don't care and I don't know why you would care how I buy or sell something. Do you have something I might want to buy, we as gentlemen will discuss and try to come up with an agreement. Simple as that. If we agree we can proceed. If not we walk away. The only time you need be concerned with how I buy or sell something is if we are dealing among each other.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I never said it was my business but I can have an opinion about the stupid things done and posted about on an open forum about self imposed regulations.

and My post did not call you anti A2 It said who needs them when we have owners that add complexity to a sale.

who is yelling and screaming. I simply type a reply

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I never said it was my business but I can have an opinion about the stupid things done and posted about on an open forum about self imposed regulations.

and My post did not call you anti A2 It said who needs them when we have owners that add complexity to a sale.

who is yelling and screaming. I simply type a reply
    Good answer. Perhaps someday you will have something to sell that I want to buy and we can as gentlemen make a deal.

Top Bottom