• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    My church rents out a classroom during the week for a teacher with a single class of 7th graders. Also, a charter school rents the gym for basketball practice during the week. Does this meet the definition of a school? Can I carry in the church if I happen to drop by during the week? If this does meet the definition of a school, would I be prevented from carrying at church on Sunday when school is not in session?

There are no signs outside that announce the presence of a school and no 30.06 signs.

Edit: I found the answer in $46.03 (1)

I know the charter school would qualify as an educational institution, but I'm not sure about the lady with a class of 7th graders. I don't know if she runs a school or just home schools a bunch of kids in a rented room.
    Lynx Defense

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.
    (6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.

(3) "Premises" means a building or a portion of a building.
    an official school function is taking place;

I wouldnt carry in a church or a school. Even if the class she teaches isnt an official school function, it still in the portion of a church.
    This brings up the idea of seperation of church and state. Im going to refresh my studies on the subject because if I remember right it only involves taxes.
    To conclude, DONT DO IT!! They'll send the swat team after ya !

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.
    (6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.

(3) "Premises" means a building or a portion of a building.
    an official school function is taking place;

I wouldnt carry in a church or a school. Even if the class she teaches isnt an official school function, it still in the portion of a church.
    This brings up the idea of seperation of church and state. Im going to refresh my studies on the subject because if I remember right it only involves taxes.
    To conclude, DONT DO IT!! They'll send the swat team after ya !
    This only applies if the church posts a 30.06 sign.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    My church rents out a classroom during the week for a teacher with a single class of 7th graders. Also, a charter school rents the gym for basketball practice during the week. Does this meet the definition of a school? Can I carry in the church if I happen to drop by during the week? If this does meet the definition of a school, would I be prevented from carrying at church on Sunday when school is not in session?

There are no signs outside that announce the presence of a school and no 30.06 signs.

Edit: I found the answer in $46.03 (1)

I know the charter school would qualify as an educational institution, but I'm not sure about the lady with a class of 7th graders. I don't know if she runs a school or just home schools a bunch of kids in a rented room.
    The church is 46.03 when class or practice is being held. When there are not school sponsored activities it is just a church and you can carry unless they post 30.06.

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County

Subsection (i) says that you can carry at hospitals, amusement parks, churches and governmental meetings unless they post the 30.06 sign.

I know of at least 6 other CHL holders in my church, including staff. :)

TXGunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Little Elm
    1 additional caveat

So we have established that you can carry in a church UNLESS they post a 30.06 sign. How about this scenario?

Our church meets in a middle school (public school) on Sundays. We have 2 types of security: the "safety" team (radios only) and "security" team (off-duty LEOs and Level IV Security personnel).

So while we have established that you can carry in church, how about if the church is used as a school 5 days of the week? Can you carry in the church on Sundays?

Thanks!

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    So we have established that you can carry in a church UNLESS they post a 30.06 sign. How about this scenario?

Our church meets in a middle school (public school) on Sundays. We have 2 types of security: the "safety" team (radios only) and "security" team (off-duty LEOs and Level IV Security personnel).

So while we have established that you can carry in church, how about if the church is used as a school 5 days of the week? Can you carry in the church on Sundays?

Thanks!

The penal code does not make a school off limits "while school is in session" so I would think that carry in the buildings is always prohibited, regardless of the event, function or occupants.

I also believe your Level IV people are in violation if they are armed. LEOs are exempt from 46.03, PPOs are not.

BTW, Welcome to the forum.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Ok, a similar but different scenario. In only ask because this is a bit confusing and it appears related.

Relevant Building Facts
    - Private school from M-F
    - Part of the Church complex but separate building

(i.e. private parochial school next to the church)

Question
    I know I can carry into the church building itself. Can I carry into the "Sunday School" building next door to drop off/pick up my kids on Sundays?

streakpi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I would definitely not carry in a school which is being used as a church. Must be a bad neighborhood if you go to church and need two types of security...do you have metal detectors and pat-downs? Is offering only in cash? Hehe...just having fun with this string.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Ok, a similar but different scenario. In only ask because this is a bit confusing and it appears related.

Relevant Building Facts
    - Private school from M-F
    - Part of the Church complex but separate building

(i.e. private parochial school next to the church)

Question
    I know I can carry into the church building itself. Can I carry into the "Sunday School" building next door to drop off/pick up my kids on Sundays?

A school which holds classes M-F is still a school on Sunday for the purposes of 46.03.

Top Bottom