• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rifletex91

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Houston
    So yesterday I go to the range to shoot some russian surplus 5.45x39 for the first time. At first all the rounds were going off, then after the 2nd mag I started getting what I thought were duds. But after expecting the rounds it looked as if the firing pin had barely struck them. All they had was a small little indentation on the primer. So I grabbed those rounds and put them back in the mag and started shooting them, they all went off the second time around. I'm guessing most likely it is due to the ammo, since I have only had that happen to me once while shooting silver bear, and I have a lot of silver threw my ak. But now with this ammo it has has happened to me about 20 times in one shooting session. Could they be light primer strikes? Maybe something going wrong with my ak, or is just maybe that my ak doesn't like this ammo? I will switch back to silver bear next time I go to the shooting range to see if it was the ammo, I am hoping it is. What do you guys think?
    ARJ Defense ad

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    It could be the ammo, if it is a different type than what you normally use. However it also could be you need to clean the gun a bit better. So, first thing I would do is take apart and clean your bolt, if you find it was fouled up you may have solved the issue. If the bolt is not dirty I would lean towards an ammo problem if this brand is the only brand you have issue with.

I

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    It's your bolt, specifically the firing pin not traveling fully forward. Disassemble, clean, reassemble, try again.

+1. Mine was full of cosmoline preventing free movement of the floating firing pin. A little brake cleaner and a q-tip cleaned it right up. Disassembly, of the bolt isn't hard. I found an online tutorial somewhere.

rifletex91

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Houston
    Just disassembled the bolt and cleaned it up. Taking it apart wasn't difficult at all, putting it back together was a bitch. I will go try it out as soon as I can. Ohh and how often do I have to disassemble and clean the bolt? And do I have to oil and lube it up, or just leave it dry?

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Ohh and how often do I have to disassemble and clean the bolt? And do I have to oil and lube it up, or just leave it dry?

Just this once should suffice. It was probably full of cosmoline or other protectant.

You just need to rub the parts with an oily rag, don't "oil it" or it'll probably gum up again.

Then again, you won't hurt anything by tearing it down and cleaning it with each cleaning - but you're likely to lose parts that way.

Top Bottom