• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Yes you do so why not check the more likely scenario that a felon is shooting a firearm at your complex? Its not like silencers are exactly easy to get but a regular firearm by contrast is much easier. Why not check them? Because its too intrusive? Why single me out as an nfa owner?

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Suppressors? We don't ask to see a tax stamp for those....

I'm talking about machine guns....select fire firearms...

Guess I should have been more clear....lol....

Last edited:

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    I get it....now...lol...
    cheers.gif

how often to you get to tell a bullshit story without lying? Everything I said was true. Just left out a few details. Lol

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Some friends on the east side have numerous FA class three items. One day, I asked one of them this exact question. We were in an Academy store so he had no class 3 items with him but out came his very thick wallet and he had copies of all docs on his machine guns! No kidding, he carries them with him every day! That's one man's solution!

Flash

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    I bet there are more stolen guns/rifles on any given day at the range vs illegal NFA items, just a guess. So should a range owner check serial numbers on every gun?

If somebody were shooting an illegal nfa item and was somehow recognized as illegal, what would happen to the range owner? Prob nothing. That's like wearing stolen clothes/jewelry to Macy's.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I've educated a few range owners in my day regarding this subject. I might show stamps if they're being polite and I think they are receptive to understanding why NFA owners don't deserve to be singled out. Be careful, there are actually some small minded dip shits (one of whom is on this site) who have said they'd call the cops and report illegal NFA ownership on anyone who politely refused to show stamps and decided to leave. If I ever got pulled out of my truck at gun point for something like this, I'd spend every spare waking moment I have making that range owners life complete hell.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    I have no liability for illegal activity on my property?

Why would you need liability coverage for illegal activity on your property. Unless it can be proven that you knew illegal things were going on that is. Its like saying that because someone wore a stole jacket into a retail store the store is liable for something. What are you going to be liable for?

SBS's, suppressors and other class 3 items are legal to own and use in TX. Unless you have probable cause to believe the guns are illegal you dont have a right to question someone. The 4th amendment and the concept of probable cause arent hard to understand.

In general its your property and much like any other business you have a right to run it as you see fit; just dont be surprised if there are consequences to your choices.

I'm also with Scott on the whole filing false reports thing. Id file slander, liable and anything I could come up with to make anyone who decided to call the cops for a no stamp claim a living hell for as long as legally possible.

Last edited:

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I don't understand. You go onto someone else's property to shoot and you would tell the owners to KMA if they want to know (proof) if it is a legal NFA item?

No, from the range owners point of view, I don't get it....not trying to be an ass, we are very NFA friendly and own some NFA items, but if you are unknown to us...we're going to ask...the last thing we want/need is unregistered NFA items on our property.....jmho....

Because they have no burden or responsibility for checking.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I've educated a few range owners in my day regarding this subject. I might show stamps if they're being polite and I think they are receptive to understanding why NFA owners don't deserve to be singled out. Be careful, there are actually some small minded dip shits (one of whom is on this site) who have said they'd call the cops and report illegal NFA ownership on anyone who politely refused to show stamps and decided to leave. If I ever got pulled out of my truck at gun point for something like this, I'd spend every spare waking moment I have making that range owners life complete hell.
    Although I don't have any stamps yet, I agree with the above completely.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Should they also check your drivers license to make sure you're allowed to drive? Or the birth certificates of any children you bring to make sure you're their parent? Or the TCLEOSE ID of anyone with a badge to make sure they're not impersonating a cop?

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Why would you need liability coverage for illegal activity on your property. Unless it can be proven that you knew illegal things were going on that is. Its like saying that because someone wore a stole jacket into a retail store the store is liable for something. What are you going to be liable for?

SBS's, suppressors and other class 3 items are legal to own and use in TX. Unless you have probable cause to believe the guns are illegal you dont have a right to question someone. The 4th amendment and the concept of probable cause arent hard to understand.

In general its your property and much like any other business you have a right to run it as you see fit; just dont be surprised if there are consequences to your choices.

I'm also with Scott on the whole filing false reports thing. Id file slander, liable and anything I could come up with to make anyone who decided to call the cops for a no stamp claim a living hell for as long as legally possible.
    Technically nfa items arent legal in texas but your stamp from the federal government is your defense to prosecution. Thats why one kf vtachs leo buddys could technically haul you off to jail if he could convince them to make a bogus jackass arrest for nothing. If a range ever did that to me much like Scott I'd make their life a living hell.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Interesting and enlightening discussion.......

I do appreciate the honesty of opinions.....

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've fired FA and silenced firearms but have never owned one. I just don't want to deal with the added regulations.

It may be laziness on my part but there are thousands of ways that I can enjoy the shooting sports without dealing with the extra cost and NFA paperwork. If you want to do that....more power to ya! That FA sound is music to my ears!

Flash

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    V-Tach; All,

Actually, you have LITTLE or NO criminal/civil liability for unlawful conduct on your property by another person(s) UNLESS you KNOW (and yes I'm talking about "know" in the legal sense - If you don't understand what I'm saying here, you should ask your attorney for advice/clarification.) , at that time & place, that the alleged conduct is UNLAWFUL.

As an example, IF a person drives a stolen car onto your property, you (as a business owner, manager, employee, householder or landowner) have NO liability whatever for his/her unlawful acts, unless you KNOW that it is stolen and/or participated as an accessory to that crime.

That said, a property owner (or his/her agent) can PROHIBIT anybody from entering/remaining within their property, while possessing weapons and/or for any otherwise lawful cause.
    (Do NOT come onto our family farm, without our consent, as our land is "posted", unless you are a sworn peace officer AND on official duty. =====> Like so many TX landowners/householders, we have, for the last several years, had "a plague of suspicious persons" entering our property for "dubious reasons", committing thefts, "night-time prowling", dumping refuse, cutting fences, leaving gates open, etc.)

That said, a POLITE request for information, from a property/business owner (or his/her agent), to a potential customer (or other "invitee") will generally get a "polite & positive response" from 99.44% of gun-owners and other reasonable people.

respectfully, tex

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Off Topic Warning

(Do NOT come onto our family farm, without our consent, as our land is "posted", unless you are a sworn peace officer AND on official duty. =====> Like so many TX landowners/householders, we have, for the last several years, had "a plague of suspicious persons" entering our property for "dubious reasons", committing thefts, "night-time prowling", dumping refuse, cutting fences, leaving gates open, etc.)

That's a bit of an overstatement. Yes, everyone would like to keep the no-good-niks out. However, posting property does not limit access to "a sworn peace officer...on official duty." I assume if your house is on fire, you'd like the fire department to proceed past the front gate, right? That particular exception, in fact, is explicitly stated in 30.05. I believe there are other exceptions for some federal officials who are not sworn peace officers (can't find the cite I need at the moment, sorry) as well, obviously, as when entry is made pursuant to a valid easement, something many rural landowners are completely oblivious about. People buy property with a dozen different easements and then are shocked when workers violate the sanctity of their domain by coming onto their land. It would be funny if it weren't so sad.

I am reminded of how Madonna got all in a huff at people walking across her property in England. She had to be educated that the right for people on foot to cross private property was not only a long tradition but highly protected under English law.

I've often seen similarly incorrect attitudes on the part of rural landowners in Texas. As I occasionally have to point out around here, "My land, my rules" is not an absolute.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    benenglish,

For starters, our family holds the land (and has since May of 1818), under a grant from the King of Spain. - There wasn't a place called (at least in the modern sense) Texas then; it was simply a northern frontier area of New Spain, when our tribe fled to Nacogdoches from AL, GA & TN about 2 steps ahead of the Army. - In point of fact, the area where our land lies finally joined the RoT sometime in the early 1840s, as it was not considered part of AR, LA or TX then.
    (About 700 of our families still hold their granted land in 8 TX counties & in 2 states in Mexico.)

Second, our farm is so remote from "town" (about an hour from the nearest VFD & more likely 2 hours before they could gather their people & come to our aid) that every structure, piece of farm equipment and most of the trees/brush would be burned to ashes before the nearest fire department could get inside the gates.
    (Thus, we have 2 trucks rigged for firefighting & emergency equipment pre-sited around the acreage, as well as neighbors who would try to help.)

Also, our gates are always locked & our entire perimeter is "high-fenced", so you cannot casually "walk through" our land.
    yours, satx

Last edited:
    Top Bottom