• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Does anyone run one on their truck? Im thinking of a Smarty Jr to pep the ol' girl up. I would want to install some gauges first so I could get a good feel for baseline though. Everything is freakin' expensive!

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Ahh forgot about them. I haven't used JEGs or Summit since I sold my Chevy but I did use them quite a bit. I'll check them out. I'm definitely taken back by how much gauges are though.

I would like to have eyes on pyro, boost, fuel pressure and tranny temp. But finding a spot for them, retaining my A-pillar handle and not cluttering the dash is a real challenge.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Depending on the make/model, it's usually better to get a custom tune rather than one of the "one size fits all" tuners available through Jegs or similar outlets. I know a really good GM tuner myself, but other makes have them as well.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    It'd be for my '06 Cummins I'd like to keep pretty mild. I don't even want to get into the tranny unless I'm towing a toy hauler (which isn't for another couple years). Stock tranny is probably good to 40hp?

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    There are a lot of Cummins tuners out there. I don't have any specific knowledge to pitch in on that one! All of my experiences have been with gassers.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Yeah, there's a good handful - enough to make your head spin. The Smarty Jr is the one that through my research has been coming up as a safe tuner for stocker. I never ran any programmers before.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Shorts, I have a Super-Chips programmer in my 7.3. Good for up to 70 hp increase. Works very well. If you would like, I will call my injection pump guy and ask his thoughts on a chip for your truck. This guy is good and been in the business for a long time.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    For a Cummins, I'd look at what Banks has. Just remember that power, economy, reliability and emissions on any given vehicle are all interconnected and what you have to choose is the best compromise for you. Federal laws aren't going to allow you to compromise on the emissions part, so it's going to come down to the other three.

Just beware and stay away from "tunes" that require a colder thermostat.

kerryp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    Are you a member of the Turbo Diesel Register ? If you haven't been there that is probably the best info for Dodge Diesel Owners.

Its been a while since I had my 2001, but back at that time the popular ones were Edge and Bully Dog....

Acesn8's

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Llano county
    I have a Banks Big Hoss level 3 on my 7.3 it has been on there for 8 years and it runs great! Also have the gauges pyro and boost a must have,
    along with a Big Head Wastegate be sure to go to a larger exhaust (less restrictive) to keeps those temps down.

Top Bottom