• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bbryant132

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2016
    Ft. Hood
    What do you guys think of a beginner picking up a progressive press for reloading? I have about 3000 .308 brass casings and tons of 556 and .40 that are ready to be reloaded... im looking into reloading about 1k rounds per week.
    Capitol Armory ad

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    That's how I started 5 years ago when I purchases a Dillon 650. I knew nothing about reloading at the time nor had anyone to teach me. I self-studied and relied on people on reloading forums to help me over the humps. I also called Dillon Support as needed. It can be done. Its just that progressive presses are more complicated and you have a lot going with every pull of the handle. If you are the type whose good and learning by reading and studying plus breakdown mechanical problems then it will be easy and not all that difficult. Just about every problem you come up against has already been a issue and you find the answer online.

I stated with .308 first which is easy to reload. I broke the steps down and used my press like a single stage press until I felt comfortable going full progressive. You'll need to take your time keep an eye of the shell plate where all the action is. Having a case feeder makes that easier since your not constantly feeding brass to the press. Measure your completed loads to make sure you don't have extreme over or under loads. Check and double check everything you do. I currently load 5.56, 6.8, .308, 30.06, .40 and .45 on my 650. I also load 270AR on a Hornady Classic. I much prefer the 650 over the Classic based on the quality (of the press) and time factor (time saved).

A Dillon 550B is a great progressive press that works with or without a case feeder. It's self indexing (ie: you push the shell plate to advance the case to the next index point on the plate) which will allow you to go as slow as needed and you control when the plate advances as opposed to a 650 that automatically advances with each pull of the handle. I probably should've started with a 550. But I wanted to buy once and cry only one time over the cost.

Last edited:

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    to me learn what you want to use. So you dont build habits that dont work well going from single stage to progressive. Just be overly careful till you get it down. Lots of guys are going to jump in and say NO NO NO you have to do it the old way to learn your stuff so be ready for that :). I would look for someone in your area that can show you the ropes. Or pay for a beginners class even before you pick up your stuff to make sure you really want to do it.

If you are not into repetitive stuff or you need a distraction doing repetitive stuff reloading my not be fore you.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I've been using a single stage for almost 17 yrs. Hasn't slowed me down one bit. I probably don't shoot as much as many on here, mainly 'cause I'm lucky enough to have a friend with 100 acres out in Mt. Home with a nice range (500 yds.) built up. I don't feel like I have to necessarily shoot a lot when we go because we can go whenever we want and the weather lets us. I like the single stage just fine and it really lets me be right on the money with powder weight, case re-sizing, COAL, etc. If I was having to shoot in the city, I'd probably add a progressive of some sort.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    I would look the the Dillon RL550B. At a good lick you can put out 400 per hour, but can still check every step in the process. If the 650 could be compared to an AR15; the 550B would be a Winchester 94.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    meh get Lee 1000 Pro's in each cal you reload for the cost of the Dillon and you dont have to mess with changing setups. Ya the Dillon fans are going to say Lee's suck but thats because they paid for a Dillon and dont want to face the reality that A lee will get the job done.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    meh get Lee 1000 Pro's in each cal you reload for the cost of the Dillon and you dont have to mess with changing setups. Ya the Dillon fans are going to say Lee's suck but thats because they paid for a Dillon and dont want to face the reality that A lee will get the job done.

If you are mechanically inclined, I agree.
    They do require tweaking. I've got 3 of them. I like them.

I've never pulled a handle on a blue press.
    Can't comment on them.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I have to add.
    Lee Pro 1000 is not what I would buy for .308 or .223/5.56.
    It's a great straightwall, carbide die, no caselube setup.

My experiences with bottleneck casses and progressive presses in general, hasn't been great.
    I much prefer to clean lubed brass after resizing and prior to priming and charging.

Besides, the Lee Pro 1000 doesn't have the leverage I'm looking for in anything bigger than .223.

LFHenderson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    I run a single stage Rock chucker for my rifle rounds and a Pro 2000 for my pistol rounds. If I were shooting a volume of 5.56 or 308 I wouldn't hesitate to load them on the Pro2000. My advice would be to go with the progressive but only work one cartridge at a time until you get the process down.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I just have a single stage Lee. I'm kinda weirded out with multi stage presses. I like feeling the primers go in by hand on my loads. I weigh the charges every 2-3 rounds. It might be slow, but it works perfectly for me.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    Let me be the first to call bullshit. I use Lee, RCBS, and Dillon products among others. A few of Lee's products I like better than anyone else's. To compare the quality of a Lee progressive to a Dillon is like comparing a Yugo to a Cadillac. Yeah, they'll both get you there (maybe) but no one really enjoys the Yugo and if they say they do they're liars...

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I can't really compare presses, because I started with an XL650, but to me it inspires confidence. I can feel every step of the process - tight primer pockets, bad brass (split necks especially), and with a good light powder charge are all pretty easy to be certain of on each pull/push of the handle. The #1 thing to remember when loading is to avoid distractions. Don't get complacent and assume the press loaded correctly, you must pay attention to each and every step before you set that bullet on the case mouth and pull the handle.

Many people will tell you to pick up a single stage and learn the process, then step up to a progressive. That is sound advice, but it isn't 100% necessary. Just remember you have 3 to 5 things going on with each stroke of the ram on a progressive, whereas with a single stage you only have one. You are the best judge.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    You can start with a progressive just fine. Creating safe habits is a key to success though.
    I started with a battered Dillon 550 I got at an auction for $125 and two hornady manuals.
    If you've never reloaded before, read then read some more published instruction.
    A progressive press can be operated just the same as a line of single stage presses.
    Insert one case, go through each station to completion then insert another.
    Once you get the idea of what to watch at each station, increase the population on your shell plate.

the main gotcha point in reloading for anything is prep work, don't cheap out for good inspection habits.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    As I said previously, I started out with a 650. But I recently purchased a Hornady Classic to load my 270AR cartridge. After just 100 rounds on the Classic, I'm already thinking about how to reload the cartridge on my 650. The leverage and smoothness of the 650 is so much better than the Classic.

Last edited:

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    No where did I say that lee and dillon are the same quality. But I think you proved my point the cadilac and yugo will both get you to the same place and with the yugo you still have a wad of cash in your pocket.

Let me be the first to call bullshit. I use Lee, RCBS, and Dillon products among others. A few of Lee's products I like better than anyone else's. To compare the quality of a Lee progressive to a Dillon is like comparing a Yugo to a Cadillac. Yeah, they'll both get you there (maybe) but no one really enjoys the Yugo and if they say they do they're liars...

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    If you want to start with a progressive then go for it. It can be done.

I own one and love it but will always have a need for a single stage press. I believe many reloaders agree so you could start with a single and go progressive shortly after. Even start with an economical Lee single just to get your feet wet. You may find it is handy to have around.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I would look the the Dillon RL550B. At a good lick you can put out 400 per hour, but can still check every step in the process. If the 650 could be compared to an AR15; the 550B would be a Winchester 94.

this is good advice
    The Dillon RL 550 is a progressive loader but it is manually indexed. This is important I think for a new person. I own a 650 and a 550 both
    I think the 550 is the perfect loading machine for a beginner or an experianced loader. It can be used as a single stage as well since it is manually indexed.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    If you are mechanically inclined, I agree.
    They do require tweaking. I've got 3 of them. I like them.

I've never pulled a handle on a blue press.
    Can't comment on them.

you need to come over one evening and load 100 rounds on one of my Dillons bud

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Presses are like motorcycles, buy the biggest, best press you can afford, start slowly, learn as much as you can, and you'll be happier in the end than if you'd bought a tiny bike to start with.

Go load on other people's machines, that is the best way to determine what you want. Ask, most people are happy to help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom