Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...he makes it sound like a really good place to spend a little time....
    It is. The museum is small but nice. It deserves an hour if you just want to see stuff without doing much scholarship. You could spend days there if you're doing serious research.

The library is marvelous. Not only do they have lots of fairly rare books with tons of information you can't find on the internet, the cartridge reference collection is extensive. If you want to be able to identify a cartridge by sight, start here. You can see a real, physical example right in front of your eyes, an experience that's somehow more useful than just looking at photographs and drawings. The cartridge collection is in proper museum drawers and runs the entire length of one wall up to waist high. That a lot of individual cartridges.

I could easily lose a month just sitting in there, reading.

The gun shop is pretty good, often having things in stock that you don't find elsewhere. There's often a sign-up in the lobby for some gun they or someone else is giving away or raffling.

There are special events (competitions or hunts or camps or banquets, etc.) every week. In fact, there are usually several each week.

The actual shooting facilities are great if a tad rustic in places. There's lots of long range work to be done for rifle shooters and it's one of the few ranges where it's possible to set up long walks on trails with a variety of targets off the trail. The silhouette facilities are good. I could go on for quite a while.

Overall, it's an amazing place. Dedicated shooters will think they've died and gone to heaven if the heat doesn't kill them.

The only problem with The Whittington Center is that it's located far from the normal perks of civilization. It's outside Raton, NM, and there's not a damn thing to do in that town even if the locals try to put on a brave face about what a wasteland it is. If a resident of Raton wants to hear some good live music, for example, they're looking at a very long drive. I could give a dozen other examples of activities that just aren't available but don't take my word for it. Check out the census data; the place has been bleeding population for over 30 years; even the residents are fleeing.

Basically, if you want to spend a little time in civilization but you live in Raton, count on driving a couple of hours to get to Taos...and I'm not sure that's a very big upgrade.

OTOH, if you just want outdoor activities away from the world, it's probably the bee's knees.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    I see Twitter is hitting with Mom Demand Action members staging a sit down protest with Richardson City Council to prevent NRA from leasing any buildings. I know most of us have beef with Wayne but this type of action by Mom Demand Action preventing a legitimate organization from setting up shop here is disturbing at best. I even ask one of them why protest a group whose purpose is to offer better education and training to kids but get mere silence from them.

Because like most Leftists - Moms Demand Action are for indoctrination not education!

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    It is. The museum is small but nice. It deserves an hour if you just want to see stuff without doing much scholarship. You could spend days there if you're doing serious research.

The library is marvelous. Not only do they have lots of fairly rare books with tons of information you can't find on the internet, the cartridge reference collection is extensive. If you want to be able to identify a cartridge by sight, start here. You can see a real, physical example right in front of your eyes, an experience that's somehow more useful than just looking at photographs and drawings. The cartridge collection is in proper museum drawers and runs the entire length of one wall up to waist high. That a lot of individual cartridges.

The gun shop is pretty good, often having things in stock that you don't find elsewhere. There's often a sign-up in the lobby for some gun they or someone else is giving away or raffling.

There are special events (competitions or hunts or camps or banquets, etc.) every week. In fact, there are usually several each week.

The actual shooting facilities are great if a tad rustic in places. There's lots of long range work to be done for rifle shooters and it's one of the few ranges where it's possible to set up long walks on trails with a variety of targets off the trail. The silhouette facilities are good. I could go on for quite a while.

Overall, it's an amazing place. Dedicated shooters will think they've died and gone to heaven if the heat doesn't kill them.

The only problem with The Whittington Center is that it's located far from the normal perks of civilization. It's outside Raton, NM, and there's not a damn thing to do in that town even if the locals try to put on a brave face about what a wasteland it is. If a resident of Raton wants to hear some good live music, for example, they're looking at a very long drive. I could give a dozen other examples of activities that just aren't available but don't take my word for it. Check out the census data; the place has been bleeding population for over 30 years; even the residents are fleeing.

Basically, if you want to spend a little time in civilization but you live in Raton, count on driving a couple of hours to get to Taos...and I'm not sure that's a very big upgrade.

OTOH, if you just want outdoor activities away from the world, it's probably the bee's knees.
    I've always thought Raton sucked, but you're kind of selling it.

Last edited:

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    I camped at Raton Pass in 74, nothing anywhere then. Well, kid did sit down on some cactus, pulled spines out of his diapers for the evening fun! VW bus pulling a coleman pop-up did make it all the way. Little worried about the downhill though.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine

<>

Taos is extremely weird; even way more weird than Austin.

<>

Top Bottom