• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Posting here as I know other TX counties will or have done the same.

I plan to water the lawn well the 3rd just in case.

Harris County Judge Ed Emmett signed an order this morning declaring a drought disaster and banning the sale or use of any fireworks anywhere in unincorporated Harris County. Commissioners Court unanimously ratified Emmett’s order moments later, extending its provisions and sending it on to Gov. Rick Perry. With Perry’s approval, the disaster order remains in effect until rescinded by Emmett.

Because all 34 municipalities in Harris County already have permanent bans on the sale or use of fireworks within their jurisdictions, the action by Harris County means fireworks are illegal to sell or use throughout the entire county. In addition, most neighboring counties and municipalities have banned or are considering banning fireworks. The only exception to the ban is for a public display “conducted by a person holding a valid pyrotechnic operator’s license or a valid pyrotechnics special effects operator’s license.”

“All of us on Commissioners Court recognize public safety as our top responsibility,” Emmett said Tuesday. “I think everyone, from Fire Marshal Mike Montgomery and local fire officials to representatives of the fireworks industry and the general public at large, understands the overwhelming need to take serious preventive action to avert disastrous wildfires from threatening our property, our homes and our families.”

Harris County is experiencing unprecedented drought conditions this year, with measurements on the Keetch-Byram Drought Index (KBDI) approaching 750. The KBDI, which ranges from 0 to 800, is a measure of soil moisture and an indicator of fire potential. Commissioners Court implemented a burn ban until July 19 for unincorporated Harris County earlier this year when the KBDI reached 500. Court members extended that ban for 90 days this morning, keeping the county under a full burn ban until mid-October.

Violators of the fireworks ban face a $1,000 fine and/or 180 days in jail. Violators of the burn ban face a fine of up to $500 for each violation.
    ARJ Defense ad

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    There's a possibility that there will be a 4-day sale of fireworks, if we get more rain. (That from a guy in the business.) Even that will probably limit rocket sales.

So instead, people will fire guns into the air (in certain neighborhoods where that might not be unusual anyway).

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    bird bombs and other specialty shotgun loads ftw.

:)

also, i wonder if model rockets count? i was thinking of having a rocket launch day on the 4th.

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    San Antonio is now banning the cities annual public displays. Taken from WOAI

SAN ANTONIO -- It looks like the moon and stars will be the only things lighting up the sky in San Antonio this 4th of July.

Because of the drought conditions in San Antonio, the San Antonio Fire Department is banning all public fireworks displays "effective immediately" and "until further notice."

That means July 4th fireworks displays at places like Fiesta Texas, Sea World, and Woodlawn Lake will have to be canceled.

Print Story

23 Comment(s)
    Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All
    The views expressed here do not necessarily represent those of News 4 WOAI (WOAI.com)
    20.jpg
    SAdweller - 7:52 PM
    0 Votes

Report User
    Fireworks of any kind should not have to be banned., What good are the firemen and firetrucks sitting at the station if they dont put out fires! and when someone calls for an ambulance they send out a firetruck! Firetrucks are for putting out fires!

20.jpg
    SAdweller - 7:44 PM
    0 Votes

Report User
    Fireworks of any kind should not have to be banned., What good are the firemen and firetrucks sitting at the station if they dont put out fires! and when someone calls for an ambulance they send out a firetruck! Firetrucks are for putting out fires!

19.jpg
    FreeHole - 5:40 PM
    1 Vote

Report User
    Badge....BAN...it's BAN...They banned the fireworks. Maybe instead of fireworks they will have a BAND playing for the people (the drums can be as noisy as the fireworks).

default.jpg
    badge120 - 5:11 PM
    0 Votes

Report User
    I agree with the band unless we get more rain the band should stay

default.jpg
    goldenboypro - 4:55 PM
    0 Votes

Report User
    UPDATE: Randolph and Lackland Air Force Bases also canceled their displays.

default.jpg
    goldenboypro - 4:24 PM
    0 Votes

Report User
    Ok, twister2 & StacieS......, which one of you would like to have these professionals putting on the display in front of your home? They can't control the flying embers and remember you can water down your roof, house, beforehand, we are under water restrictions. Maybe you could stay up the night before and hand water the grounds around your house. Get over it people. NO FIREWORKS!

default.jpg
    twister2 - 4:15 PM
    0 Votes

Report User
    First, the sale of fireworks HAS been banned in Bexar and some (but I don't think all) surrounding counties. Personally, I think the public displays should be allowed for reasons StacieShampoo stated. It looks like the military bases will still have shows.

default.jpg
    goldenboypro - 4:01 PM
    0 Votes

Report User
    FYI..... Use, Sale Of Fireworks Banned In Bexar County POSTED: Friday, June 10, 2011 UPDATED: 6:36 pm CDT June 10, 2011 SAN ANTONIO -- Extremely dry conditions and a continued lack of rain have led to a complete ban of the use and sale of fireworks throughout Bexar County. Watch Jenna Hiller's Report

spursicon50x50.jpg
    joflo65 - 3:58 PM
    1 Vote

Report User
    @satxewallace: like how you duped sugarplums. I love seeing people get duped, so it's a blessing for me...

pirate.jpg
    Grumpy - 3:52 PM
    2 Votes

Report User
    I think banning the fireworks displays that are professionally done just encourages people to do it on their own and actually will create more fire dangers.

HitCounter.ashx

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    So instead, people will fire guns into the air (in certain neighborhoods where that might not be unusual anyway).
    I'll be firing guns into the dam of my pond

lolwut? What a doofus...

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I fully understand the banning of "PUBLIC FIREWORKS."

But how can they impose their will on our individual liberties to enjoy private fireworks?

If I cause damage to persons or property, prosecute me.

If I cause no harm, WHY should I be deprived of just a little bit of liberty?

Why have we all succumbed to the tyrannical argument of the "common good."

Government must be limited, and the highest degree of individual liberty must be promoted with an expectation of personal responsibility for acts that may harm / injure others.

Hold the individual, not the community accountable for bad acts.

No Harm, No Foul.

Wake up & be well.

texradop

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    conroe

But how can they impose their will on our individual liberties to enjoy private fireworks?

Government must be limited, and the highest degree of individual liberty must be promoted with an expectation of personal responsibility for acts that may harm / injure others.

No Harm, No Foul.

Wake up & be well.

+1

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas

No Harm, No Foul.

Wake up & be well.

I don't really disagree with you, except as dry as it is, especially here in the Hill Country, a fire could be a catastrohic event with many people losing all they own and possibly there life. People in general usually don't use much common sense sometimes.
    Just an old guys opinion.

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    Fire safety hazard.

You don't start building a brick wall in front of the entrance and exits to an occupied building do you? No, the fire chief would be there pretty darn quick and pretty darn pissed off at you.

Top Bottom