• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    http://www.fromthetrenchesworldrepo...recipe-for-pure-grain-alcohol-c2-h5-oh/150199

In a clean 55 gallon drum heat 50 gallons of water to 80 degrees F
    Add: 25 Lbs course ground corn meal
    5 Lbs sugar; 1/2 Lb bakers yeast

Ferment 3 to 4 days at 70 to 90 degrees F
    Drain off liquid and distill same at 170+ degrees … turns to water at 212 degrees:
    This can be done on a much smaller scale in an old Pressure Cooker or Canner if you can tap out of the lid;~)
    Target Sports

FunnyFarm

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2013
    There is so much information missing here. If your interested in learning about distilling then please research much deeper than this incomplete article. This will result in a bad experience.
    Just a few suggestions or points to educate yourself. A lot of the mash is being wasted with such a short fermentation time and a yeast that yield such a low alcohol content. Water boils at 212, Methanol and Ethanol evaporate at much lower temps and neither is 170. It is extremely important to know the difference between the two since as little as 10ml of pure Methanol will blind you. This is if it's for consumption, if it's for fuel or medicinal then no worries but more distillation will be needed
    If your wanting to learn such things there is plenty of resources out there but this article is not one.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    There is so much information missing here. If your interested in learning about distilling then please research much deeper than this incomplete article. This will result in a bad experience.
    Just a few suggestions or points to educate yourself. A lot of the mash is being wasted with such a short fermentation time and a yeast that yield such a low alcohol content. Water boils at 212, Methanol and Ethanol evaporate at much lower temps and neither is 170. It is extremely important to know the difference between the two since as little as 10ml of pure Methanol will blind you. This is if it's for consumption, if it's for fuel or medicinal then no worries but more distillation will be needed
    If your wanting to learn such things there is plenty of resources out there but this article is not one.

Thank You for having our back, FF. I'd figure alcohol fermented in plastic would taste....like plastic.

FunnyFarm

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2013
    It depends. Having brewed my own beer for many years I would only suggest food grade plastics. I guess could be a bit different if your boiling the alcohol off the beer. I doubt plastic oils would vaporize at such a low temp. There are some good yahoo groups on distilling and you can pick up some good tips off people in other countries where distilling your own alcohol is legal.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    It's legal in Texas. Just don't make a butt load of it. We've made mustang grape by the gallons. You could almost set it on fire. Just couldn't make over like 5 gallons. I'm rusty on the TABC code.

Edit: never mind. You meant in some other country. Duh. My bad.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I'm reading it can't be over 4%. That includes distilled.

Read: TABC definition of illicit beverage.

Edit to add. My interpretation is the state says water your liquor down.

Last edited:

Ride4TheBrand

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    The Lone Star State
    You cannot produce spirits for beverage purposes without paying taxes and without prior approval of paperwork to operate a distilled spirits plant. [See 26 U.S.C. 5601 & 5602 for some of the criminal penalties. You should also review our Home Distilling page.] There are numerous requirements that must be met that make it impractical to produce spirits for personal or beverage use. Some of these requirements are paying excise tax, filing an extensive application, filing a bond, providing adequate equipment to measure spirits, providing suitable tanks and pipelines, providing a separate building (other than a dwelling) and maintaining detailed records, and filing reports. All of these requirements are listed in 27 CFR Part 19.

Spirits may be produced for non-beverage purposes for fuel use only without payment of tax, but you also must file an application, receive TTB's approval, and follow requirements, such as construction, use, records and reports.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ride4TheBrand

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    The Lone Star State
    To be clear, making your own beer and wine is perfectly legal. And I'm not against someone making medicinal recipes for snake bite, etc. But one does so at their own risk.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

FunnyFarm

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2013
    I was producing craft quality ales at around 30 cents per pint. This is not including the equipment but I made much of that myself. Looks like there are a couple of homebrew supply stores in the Killeen area. Texas Brewing has several introductory videos that'll give you an idea of what's involved.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Making my way the only way I know how, and that's just a little bit more than the law will allow...

james-best.jpg

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    ToAll,

Fwiw, I'm retiring to a country later in 2016 where one can buy a "small distiller's permit" for about 22.ooUSD per year that allows a "person engaged in agricultural activity" to make up to 500 liters of PURE alcohol for farm uses.
    (That's about 1,000 liters of 100proof booze or 264.1 GALLONS.)

I suspect that I can find several local neighbors there who will happily trade meat/fresh fish/vegetables/farm supplies or "other stuff" for 100 proof fruit brandy

The law there says that a "small distiller" may NOT be in the "regular business" of selling distilled spirits BUT a farmer may barter his/her "farm-distilled goods" for anything that benefits the distiller or his/her family.
    (I have a friend who is retired there & is in the commercial orchard business who has offered me all the over-ripe fruit that I choose to take & at the same price as he sells that fruit for hog feed = Almost free.)

Therefore, I said all that to ask this: Do any of you have a GOOD set of plans for a about 100 gallon capacity still that I can build myself, with ordinary hand/power tools once I'm down there.??
    (I'm thinking about something like the old submarine stills that I saw as a child over 50 years ago.)

thanks, satx

Last edited:
    Top Bottom