• satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    FunnyFarm,

YEP.- I checked.

You don't need a permit to make alcohol fuel for farm vehicle/generator use. = A 1-page form & NO fee for making any "necessary quantity" of alcohol or biodiesel fuel. - Farmers may BARTER their homemade fuel to others but may NOT sell it.
    (Drinking alcohol requires the "small distiller's permit" & payment of the @ 22.oo flat tax.)

yours, satx
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

FunnyFarm

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2013
    Oh my! Where would I find this information? I looked at the ttb.gov spirits FAQ and saw this;

"Spirits
    You may not produce spirits for beverage purposes without paying taxes and without prior approval of paperwork to operate a distilled spirits plant. [See 26 U.S.C. 5601 &5602 for some of the criminal penalties. You should also review our Home Distilling page.] There are numerous requirements that must be met that also make it impractical to produce spirits for personal or beverage use. Some of these requirements are filing an extensive application, filing a bond, providing adequate equipment to measure spirits, providing suitable tanks and pipelines, providing a separate building (other than a dwelling) and maintaining detailed records, and filing reports. All of these requirements are listed in 27 CFR Part 19.
    Spirits may be produced for non-beverage purposes for fuel use only without payment of tax, but you also must file an application, receive TTB's approval, and follow requirements, such as construction, use, records and reports.
    Last reviewed/updated 01/06/2015"

Looks like the governments usual nonsense, over-regulate and make things so difficult and expensive that one doesn't even bother.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    FunnyFarm,

Pardon me for NOT being clear. = I was talking about the place that I'm retiring overseas, later this year. - NOT in the USA.

yours, satx

FunnyFarm

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2013
    Duh, I get a "needs improvement" in reading comprehension, you even specified in your first sentence. I still have a bit before I can retire but I'm looking forward to it more each day, lol.
    In regards to Brandy (from what I have read) then you'll most likely want to stick with a pot still and maybe a thumper to retain the fruit flavor. A submarine still is just a really large pot still. The fractionating and reflux stills will strip all the flavor from the product. There is a ton of info on homedistiller dot org, add /forum/ to the end of the address to get their forum.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    FunnyFarm,

That & the ease of building a submarine is WHY I'm thinking of building a 100 gallon rig with a 25 gallon thump barrel & condenser/worm.
    Every part will be wood/copper/stainless steel.

Reflux stills turn everything into a "neutral spirit" that's similar to vodka. = I had a buddy in college "DAZE" who made lots of "vodka-like" booze out of all sorts of things, including just plain raw sugar/potatoes/molasses/corn syrup/ribbon-cane syrup/fruit/corn/"sweet feed", yeast & spring water.
    "Fax" ran his spirits off at about 120 proof..

The rig will be fired with a propane burner, which is CHEAP there. - Oddly mogas is expensive (about 6.oo a gallon) but LPG & diesel are both CHEAP & NOT taxed for "farm use".
    ("Farm diesel" is about 60-70 cents a gallon, so I'll be driving a diesel PU there. - "Road diesel" is about 2.oo a gallon.)

Note: Instead of "reinventing the wheel", I'm hoping that someone has the plans for building a 100 gallon or so submarine, including how much copper/stainless steel sheeting to buy for a sub that size.
    (Our family for well over a Century was "in the business" & I am lucky enough to have several old family recipes for corn, rye, peach, pear & grape 'shine.)

My late Uncle Jack had a pair of 800 gallon "black submarines" when I was a child in the 1950s, so that he could essentially run 7 days a week.
    (A submarine still usually starts with UN-fermented mash & stays in the same vessel until distillation/bottling, so you need 2-3-4 of them to run all the time.)

Note: The long "gone to glory" now (Mr. Parr died when I was 9YO.), "Pore John" Parr at one point during Prohibition had over a dozen 1,000 gallon submarine stills working at one location in my home county in NE Texas & my GF said that he could sell all the white corn that he could cook. He was WELL-REGARDED by most everybody in our county as he gave LOTS of $$$$$$$$$ to the poor folks & to every church/charity in the area.
    (As you doubtless guessed, "Pore John" was an inside joke like calling the fattest fellow in town "Tiny", as JT Parr "did right well" at his business.)

Last edited:

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    If you wanna legally make your own shine you gotta get in bed with our friends at the ATF. I hear the regulations are very similar to that of gun dealers. I looked into this once and was quickly discouraged by people who have actually done it.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    London,

IF a person "gets into bed with dogs" like the "revenuers", expect to "get up with fleas".

texbiker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2012
    SE san antonio
    satx,
    check into homedistiller.com forum for info on stills. most of those boys are from austrailia and new zealand so no legal
    problems making shine.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    When I was in S Arabia back in the late 70's Aramco had a nice set of printed sheets that showed you how to do it at home with some safety. Kinda dangerous on your kitchen stove. I suppose you get beheaded for that over there nowadays.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    When I was in S Arabia back in the late 70's Aramco had a nice set of printed sheets that showed you how to do it at home with some safety. Kinda dangerous on your kitchen stove. I suppose you get beheaded for that over there nowadays.
    Did you know a guy named MO? (initials of first and middle name)

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

On a slightly different subject, do any of you actually have converted a vehicle to run on pure alcohol OR know how to modify a "gasoline car" engine to run on pure alcohol??
    (YES, I looked on the "worldwideweird" & am looking for someone who has converted a car/truck.)

I'm planning on buying an "old school" Toyota Land Cruiser "in country", to use for "off & on road uses" for the farm.
    (Paying 6.00 a gallon plus for mogas leaves me cold.)

It's NOT all that hard to make near 100% alcohol from a variety of "plant & animal" substances for fuel use.
    (Trust me, you wouldn't want to drink the fuel-alcohol that is made from animal waste or rotten fruit, etc..)

Addenda: I know a chicken farmer in Camp County, where I was born, who makes fuel out of "chicken litter". - I can't tell you how many people up there who try to buy his alcohol by the gallon TO DRINK.
    (That idea makes me GAG just thinking about it, though after being distilled I guess that it's "clean".)

yours, satx

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    OR know how to modify a "gasoline car" engine to run on pure alcohol??
    Never done it, but I did read this: http://www.amazon.com/Browns-Alcohol-Motor-Fuel-Cookbook/dp/0879473002

The main thing is you have to increase the fuel supply. If your Land Cruiser is carbureted you'll need to increase jet size by 40%. If it's FI you'll need to increase injector size and probably have to run in closed loop. Alcohol also has a tendency to eat rubber and it pulls water out of the air so it will rust anything it touches. Just a couple things to keep in mind.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    TheDan,

THANKS. =======> Inasmuch as I can make high-proof alcohol REALLY CHEAP from farm "waste" products "down there", I suspect that converting it will be worth the trouble.
    (Paying over 6.oo for a gallon of gas "leaves me cold".)

Gasoline is one of the FEW things that are expensive "down there". = A couple can live a "middle-class American-style life" for about 15-1700.oo USD a month there.

The Land Cruiser that I'm "thinking on" belongs to an old army buddy, who quit driving it at 80,000 miles, parked it in a barn & bought a "fancy" PU.
    It's a 6-cylinder w/5-speed manual & (I think) carbureted, rather than EFI.
    (The old-school Land Cruisers are "tougher than a dollar steak" & seem to just "keep on keeping on" for years & years. = I know of a 1967 model here in town that has well over 300,000 miles on it.)

yours, satx

Last edited:
    Top Bottom