• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    buying more ammo, canned food and bottled water.
    most canned food only lasts a few years. you may want to also stock some long term food. food makes good trade material and you can always eat it if need be.
    the mormons (through their website) sell food basics REAL cheap. If you want to learn about food storage talk to the mormons, they are the experts.
    Venture Surplus ad

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    good point. I've been reading stuff on some of the survival blogs on the intertubes. crazy wacky farout stuff man.

along with Fluffy, the neighbor's kids look mighty plump. little garlic, some salt and pepper they should grill up real nice.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    good point. I've been reading stuff on some of the survival blogs on the intertubes. crazy wacky farout stuff man.

along with Fluffy, the neighbor's kids look mighty plump. little garlic, some salt and pepper they should grill up real nice.

Reportedly they taste like greasy pig, but I'd avoid it. Eating within your own species brings higher disease risk IMO.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    most canned food only lasts a few years. you may want to also stock some long term food. food makes good trade material and you can always eat it if need be.
    the mormons (through their website) sell food basics REAL cheap. If you want to learn about food storage talk to the mormons, they are the experts.

Or become a cannibal.

Has anyone read Ron Paul's End the Fed book?

Alamo Ann

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    DeSoto, Dallas County, TX
    Original post by WestTexas: Sometimes I wonder how many on this forum would even resist...because when/if that kind of thing starts, we all hang together, or we hang separately, simple as that.

The thing is, we might have to fire a shot or two, but I'd be surprised if we even had to do that...TC, you are right, just the threat of every gun owner exercising his/her rights given to us in the 2nd amendment would be enough to keep it from ever happening...or stop it cold if it did...what the "leaders" would do is to pick one or two areas, small cities, and do the confiscation with such shock and awe that it would cause a lot of people to think that there is no point in trying to resist.
    To that possibility, I must say- being a TEXAN is not a biological or geographical fortuitous event. In my opinion, a TRUE TEXAN holds a silent sacred honour to do whatEVER may be necessary to defend liberty no matter the odds. To those lacking such resolve, I suggest sipping on a cozy cup of herbal tea while watching THE ALAMO.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    To that possibility, I must say- being a TEXAN is not a biological or geographical fortuitous event. In my opinion, a TRUE TEXAN holds a silent sacred honour to do whatEVER may be necessary to defend liberty no matter the odds. To those lacking such resolve, I suggest sipping on a cozy cup of herbal tea while watching THE ALAMO.

I love visiting the Alamo. I get choked up when I step inside...

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    Reportedly they taste like greasy pig, but I'd avoid it. Eating within your own species brings higher disease risk IMO.

There is a joke sitting right there but I think I'll walk around it on account of not wanting to get my ass kicked.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Ok, so this has already happened... No way to stop it for now. We could possibly keep it from getting worse sometime next year but nothing we can do about the "QE2".

So how does the average working shmoe protect their tiny little wealth?

Put savings into gold and/or silver? Seems like both are ridiculously expensive at the moment. Has the time passed to make this move?

Buy real property? This seems like an attractive option. As inflation runs amok, your mortgage becomes worthless and you can pay it off quicker. Of course you still have to pay the government for the privilege of owning property. Do property taxes rise as inflation rises? What does one do when they can't even afford property taxes?

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Put savings into gold and/or silver? Seems like both are ridiculously expensive at the moment. Has the time passed to make this move?
    I remember earlier in the year a friend wanted to buy some silver but $17 was too high, so he didn't buy much. Monday he was screaming at me for not making him buy more. $27 or $28 seems high until it is $40 or $50, then we will wish we had bought at $27.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Ok, so this has already happened... No way to stop it for now. We could possibly keep it from getting worse sometime next year but nothing we can do about the "QE2".

So how does the average working shmoe protect their tiny little wealth?

Buy real property? This seems like an attractive option. As inflation runs amok, your mortgage becomes worthless and you can pay it off quicker. Of course you still have to pay the government for the privilege of owning property. Do property taxes rise as inflation rises? What does one do when they can't even afford property taxes?

Guns and ammo are actually pretty low right now. Food is also a good investment before hyperinflation and depression hit.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Guns and ammo are actually pretty low right now. Food is also a good investment before hyperinflation and depression hit.
    I'm good on guns and ammo. I already have a few months of food stocked up as part of natural disaster preparedness, but at some point that will all get eaten up. What will I do after that? If I can close on this house I currently have under contract I'll have enough land to raise a couple cows or perhaps some goats. I'm not too worried about the mortgage because if hyperinflation does hit I'll just be able to pay the damn thing off immediately. What happens when property taxes adjust for the inflation though? Where will I keep all my food, gun, and ammo surplus if the government takes my house because I can't pay taxes? Guess I'll have to just pack up the jeep with as much stuff as I can and hope I make it to a state with BLM land so I can live out of a tent before I run out of gas. This sounds alittle melodramatic, but I like to ponder worst case scenarios so I'm not caught unprepared.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I'm good on guns and ammo. I already have a few months of food stocked up as part of natural disaster preparedness, but at some point that will all get eaten up. What will I do after that? If I can close on this house I currently have under contract I'll have enough land to raise a couple cows or perhaps some goats. I'm not too worried about the mortgage because if hyperinflation does hit I'll just be able to pay the damn thing off immediately. What happens when property taxes adjust for the inflation though? Where will I keep all my food, gun, and ammo surplus if the government takes my house because I can't pay taxes? Guess I'll have to just pack up the jeep with as much stuff as I can and hope I make it to a state with BLM land so I can live out of a tent before I run out of gas. This sounds alittle melodramatic, but I like to ponder worst case scenarios so I'm not caught unprepared.
    I guess we are getting off on a bit of a survivalist detour but when ammo is cheap I dont think you can get enough. But even before that you better have a way to get clean water. I use the 3x3x3 standard. You can live (roughly) 3 minutes with no air, 3 days with no water, 3 months with no food. Water is of extreme imprtance. Do you have your water supply situated? That having been said ammo is always good trade bait. Food is too. I think the mormons got it right by setting a year of stored food as the standard. They sell food really cheap as well. Having all of your stuff stored in more than one location is advisable as well. Having your gold/silver in small, tradeable quantities is important. No matter what happens typically 6-8 weeks after a meltdown some type of commerce sprouts even if it is not based on a paper currency. Just look at all of the shitholes around the world that get bombed to the stone age. Life goes on....just try to have the tools you will need to get 'er cranked back up.

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    I guess we are getting off on a bit of a survivalist detour but when ammo is cheap I dont think you can get enough. But even before that you better have a way to get clean water. I use the 3x3x3 standard. You can live (roughly) 3 minutes with no air, 3 days with no water, 3 months with no food. Water is of extreme imprtance. Do you have your water supply situated? That having been said ammo is always good trade bait. Food is too. I think the mormons got it right by setting a year of stored food as the standard. They sell food really cheap as well. Having all of your stuff stored in more than one location is advisable as well. Having your gold/silver in small, tradeable quantities is important. No matter what happens typically 6-8 weeks after a meltdown some type of commerce sprouts even if it is not based on a paper currency. Just look at all of the shitholes around the world that get bombed to the stone age. Life goes on....just try to have the tools you will need to get 'er cranked back up.

+1

side note...someone made a comment a while back of just taking what they need from others should TSHTF...good luck with that plan. No matter how well armed you are, you are no match for someone who is well PREPARED...because PART of that being prepared is defending it from people who think like that.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

Guns and ammo are going to become very valuable after the crash.

You know why Germany got all militaristic when their currency became worth less than the paper it was printed on? Because they were facing open revolt. So I guess add body armor and training to my list. Cause I don't care about my house and the rest... I care about the opportunity to get my country back.

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    The beauty of The System is that it is self correcting. Whether people realize it or not every single last person is part of the system and carries out what is necassary. A crash might occur. but more likely there will be a bunch of small crashes that are localized. Hell - they go on all the time: it's call Africa, South America and so on. Places that scare the shit out of your average mocha triple nonfat soy double sugar latte drinking American yuppy. Thing is, the thing my eyes have been opened too: it can occur here. I just doubt it will play out like something in "The Patriots".

All that said: there is a shit load of work to be done. First thing is individual: get your ass out of debt. Having a stack of silver coins buried next to the roses is only going to help you if the shit really does hit the fan. Otherwise, while the shit sits in the oval office your Visa card is raping you for 18 to 35 percent. That shiny new piece of shit GM Silverado you just leased is going to be raping you and your family for as long as you keep renting it. Blowing a pile of cash on beans and rice along witht he gear to store it long term only makes sense if TSHTF in the next two or three years. Whereas paying the rapists off and getting their hand out of your pocket sooner will make it much easier to do what is necassary now. Owning weapons is good. Being able to use them like an insane skilled ninja assassin is even better. That costs money.
    Owning property away from large population centers is good. Not being in debt so you have to pay interest on stuff is even better so you can go out and enjoy your pretty cabin away from all the jackasses in the city even better yet.

QE2 is a bad idea. But it aint the end of the world, nor is it even the begining of it. It's the movement of a pawn made by a retard that thinks he is playing Candy Land when in fact the game is actually poker. People are finally starting to wake up. It was a nice dream: easy money for no work, just let the government take care of it, don't worry about what you say b/c what happens in vegas stays in vegas and so on. But now people are starting to realize that it wasn't a dream and the result of not paying attention is what we have now.

No problem. We're Americans - we go in to fucked up situations and fix them all the time. However, usually it's other people's fucked up situations we're fixing. No our own.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I agree that being out of debt should be VERY high on your list. That having been said I recommend a balanced approach. I dont tell folks they need to go to some rip off "emergency supply" store and order the one year supply of food. nor do I tell them to go drop everything in their savings account into gold and silver. I suggest a systematic approach to being prepared, be it for when the SHTF or for a natural disaster...buy a little every week or month or how ever often you can afford it.
    Its no different than making payments on an insurance policy.

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    As far as debt goes...there is an advantage to leaving longer term fixed interest debt in place. It is going to be paid off with dollars that are worth less and less, and take the extra dollars that you were trying to reduce that debt with and plut them in to non-dollar denomination investments or in to hard assets. If you have Credit Card or other variable rate debt, take out a fixed interest loan to pay it off.

Silver and gold bought in small denomination coins from other countries are a commodity worth having and holding. This is not your first line retirement money, but this is an investment that will ALWAYS be worth something, and one of the best resources to have should tshtf because at some point there will be some type of commerace system come back on line, and gold and silver are a "known" commodity.

As for a melt down being like the Patriot? At this point, the changes of it happening exactly like that are just about the same as things not going down that way. What ever the outcome, and no matter what goes down and how, it ain't gonna be pretty...and so we plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Top Bottom