• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Did a Nebraska "farm raised" Pheasant hunt once.

That was not hunting!

Birds just got tossed out of a bag, and not one got away.

Those who survived the initial volley of shot simply waddled about until a dog grabbed them.

I'll never consider that "sport."

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    I know some places use Bird "launchers" they hit a button as you walk up that tosses the bird into the air. Doesnt sound too fun to me. Might aswell go to a canned hunt(well I guess it is one).

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I know some places use Bird "launchers" they hit a button as you walk up that tosses the bird into the air. Doesnt sound too fun to me. Might aswell go to a canned hunt(well I guess it is one).

I wonder if you can get a shoulder stock for such device? Is it one bird at a time, or full auto? How would you load it? Dumb the birds in a hopper of so sort?

Anyway....

I want one!

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Bird Launcher:

dummylaunchers_retrievertrainer_DTnaturalflush_large.jpg

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Quail are fun to shoot and great to eat. Doesn't really matter whether they are farm raised or not.

As for pheasant, it's not a native species. Most places, they have been raised and turned loose.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Hold Up.

Are we talking about restocked quail. Or just picked up birds from a feed store, throw out the truck, and shot at?

The secret with chickens....is you can catch them. Different tactic with quail.

LMAO, there growing so many.....that they can have extra to load in that launcher. How awesome is that? I want a launcher for the kids!

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    Regarding the original question, I have hunted quail on a 'preserve', and had mixed feelings about it. They were pen raised birds, and were released in the field prior to the hunt. Most of the event was what I would consider realistic, but some of the birds wouldn't flush and it devolved into a harvest more than a hunt. Having said that, as quail populations in Texas continue to decrease at an alarming rate, good luck hunting finding any quail in the wild to hunt.

While it is a true statement that pheasants are an introduced species in the US, they were first introduced here over a century ago and noncaptive populations do exist. They are actually the State Bird in South Dakota. The implication that all pheasant hunting in the US involves pen-raised birds is inaccurate.

Quail are fun to shoot and great to eat. Doesn't really matter whether they are farm raised or not.

As for pheasant, it's not a native species. Most places, they have been raised and turned loose.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Let me preference by saying I've not hunted quail of any type in Texas, but have in other states, both wild and pen raised/stocked farms. IME, the quality of the hunt depends on the place. The good ones have a lot of natural habitat and release birds several times a week to allow them to settle in. They revert to their wild state pretty quickly. The good places also supply fully trained dogs which is a must for a good hunt. Places that simply plant birds with their head tucked under their wing to keep them put are not very realistic and the only saving factor on such places is they are good for training dogs and are usually less expensive.

rdillard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    Beaumont Texas
    Regarding the original question, I have hunted quail on a 'preserve', and had mixed feelings about it. They were pen raised birds, and were released in the field prior to the hunt. Most of the event was what I would consider realistic, but some of the birds wouldn't flush and it devolved into a harvest more than a hunt. Having said that, as quail populations in Texas continue to decrease at an alarming rate, good luck hunting finding any quail in the wild to hunt.

While it is a true statement that pheasants are an introduced species in the US, they were first introduced here over a century ago and noncaptive populations do exist. They are actually the State Bird in South Dakota. The implication that all pheasant hunting in the US involves pen-raised birds is inaccurate.

thanks for all the input. I have looked at their website and it seems that they are going to be releasing the birds into the wild on a regular basis and they have been raised in a pen that is long enough for the birds to fly in while they are being "fattened up". They do provide a dog and it seems to be something I might be willing to try. As many have expressed there has been a huge reduction in birds and leases in Texas and I really hate that...some of my favorite childhood memories are hunting with my father and my mothers dad with good dogs and the excitement of flushing a big covey of quail!!!! I'd like to pass that tradition on to my 4 sons but I am not sure I will be able to.

Thanks again

RD

rdillard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    Beaumont Texas
    I find it easier to just take them out of their pen and wring their neck

hahaha...actually these guys actually have pen raised Coturnix that actually don't really fly and grow larger than the bobwhites to do just that ..you can just stop by and pick up a pen of birds and have fresh quail for dinner!!!

RD

rdillard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    Beaumont Texas
    Hold Up.

Are we talking about restocked quail. Or just picked up birds from a feed store, throw out the truck, and shot at?

The secret with chickens....is you can catch them. Different tactic with quail.

LMAO, there growing so many.....that they can have extra to load in that launcher. How awesome is that? I want a launcher for the kids!

No they are raising them from hatchlings moving them into a flight pen then they are being released to the field for hunting. They have a website Burks Quail Run I am thinking about heading out there and taking my oldest son for a hunt.

thanks

RD

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Down in south TX(pearsall) my buddy and I used to see plenty of them about 20 years ago. The consensus was that fire ants got to em' and the population has dwindled down to nothing over the years. Still plenty of hogs and deer but no more quail. Rare to see even a single covey of them now a days. Canned hunts have never been my Forte' but I'm sure you'll walk away with something to eat.

Top Bottom