• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    My girlfriend rents out her house. Its obviously in her name. Does the renter have the right to tell her not to carry on that property if she has a CHL?
    Hurley's Gold

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    My gut instinct is to say yes, the renter has care, custody and control of the house, and while paying the rent should be able to say who carries a gun in her house.
    If the banker that held the mortgage on your house showed up armed and you asked him to leave the gun outside, would he have to? Technically the bank owns your house until you pay for it.
    My question would be, if she is carrying concealed, how would the renter know to tell her to leave it outside?
    TXI? Any input?

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    Sounds logical. We just took our CHL 2 weeks ago. This is just a situation I was pondering. It is not any event that has occurred. She and I were talking about it and I was curious what you guys thought about it.
    As far as how would he know, idk. A hug? lol.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Sounds logical. We just took our CHL 2 weeks ago. This is just a situation I was pondering. It is not any event that has occurred. She and I were talking about it and I was curious what you guys thought about it.
    As far as how would he know, idk. A hug? lol.

LOL...If I am comfortable enough to hug someone, then they are comfortable to let me remain armed.

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    Thank you texascop2 for your input. I have just been thinking of different scenarios and if it would be acceptable. I know how to shoot, I passed the CHL class, but I am far from a pro and I was just trying to learn more. I would rather ask and look dumb and know before a situation happens I had contemplated and just blew off.
    :)

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Thank you texascop2 for your input. I have just been thinking of different scenarios and if it would be acceptable. I know how to shoot, I passed the CHL class, but I am far from a pro and I was just trying to learn more. I would rather ask and look dumb and know before a situation happens I had contemplated and just blew off.
    :)
    Nothing dumb about the question....and as I indicated, I am not 100% positive about my answer. But if your renter decides that he doesn't want the landlord armed, the landlord could always consider finding another tenant at the end of the lease. 2 can play that game.

Very few on here should consider themselves experts, I certainly do not. But I can read and look up law and so can most folks. There is lots of people willing to give info on here, but as the late President Ronald Reagan said..."Trust, but verify"

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Just to give you some ideas, when I carry a big gun (like a glock 19) I always try and keep my arm below others when I hug them. I don't think my brothers would care, but I think my Sister-in-Law might have a moment. . . . or those creepy people at church.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Texascop2, you can carry in rented property, right? You can OC in your hotel room, as I understand it.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Texascop2, you can carry in rented property, right? You can OC in your hotel room, as I understand it.

I suppose you mean property YOU have rented from another?

You do not need a CHL to carry in your hotel room. Under penal code 46.02 your hotel room is property under your control.

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    I suppose you mean property YOU have rented from another?

You do not need a CHL to carry in your hotel room. Under penal code 46.02 your hotel room is property under your control.

And copied and pasted this....
    Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
    (1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or

You guys are smart. Guess that sums it up right there. :patriot:

Ruprex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Austin
    They do not have the right to tell you that you can't carry. They very well may tell you that you can't but lawfully, you can carry. They have conveyed the property to you. As long as what you're doing on the property isn't illegal, they can't stop you unless it's written into the lease. It's your property for the stated period of time. That's how property conveyance works, lease or purchase. I am a Licensed Texas Broker.

Hope that helps.

-Chris

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RafaelQ
    Top Bottom