ARJ Defense ad

Question for our police officers - how many traffiic stops per arrest?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Some of my friends in CA showed me an article where a "DUI and ID checkpoint" out there netted one arrest (article doesn't say for what, it might have been a warrant or it could have been DUI) out of 504 cars. The night before in the same area, they had no arrests out of over 500 cars...

So I'm wondering what the numbers look like for routine traffic stops. How many arrests would you guys expect out of 1000 traffic stops?

From previous conversations, I'd expect a lot better than .1%...
    Guns International

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Ok, I kinda sorta found an answer (good enough one, anyway) in a book that's apparently about racial profiling. Seems that around 4% of traffic stops end in an arrest.

Does that sound right? About 4 stops out of 100?

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Some of my friends in CA showed me an article where a "DUI and ID checkpoint" out there netted one arrest (article doesn't say for what, it might have been a warrant or it could have been DUI) out of 504 cars. The night before in the same area, they had no arrests out of over 500 cars...

So I'm wondering what the numbers look like for routine traffic stops. How many arrests would you guys expect out of 1000 traffic stops?

From previous conversations, I'd expect a lot better than .1%...

It would stand to reason the numbers in TX are higher than those numbers for suspicionless stops in CA

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    the republic of kalifornia has almost no crime becouse they have such strict gun control, .1% is actually very high there. They don't have all the gangs and random violence or drugs like us.

espy59lc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    Shit, if they did that here on a night in SA for DUI Checkpoint, they wouldn't have room to put all the drunk drivers! Probably a lot of warrant arrests too.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Shit, if they did that here on a night in SA for DUI Checkpoint, they wouldn't have room to put all the drunk drivers! Probably a lot of warrant arrests too.
    SA drunk driving numbers are insane. Some of the highest in the nation. I avoid driving in SA on Friday and Saturday night if possible.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    SA drunk driving numbers are insane. Some of the highest in the nation. I avoid driving in SA on Friday and Saturday night if possible.
    Agreed, just the insane amount of wrong way drunk drivers is unsettling. SAPD do report several arrests a weekend for it, but there is also generally an crash or two related to the same problem as well.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Actually, if you look at the ratets for alcohol related fatalities state by state, you can't tell which ones run DUI checkpoints and which ones don't.

Our Chief of Police here in San Antonio wants Texas to pass a DUI checkpoint law. I think he'd be happier working for TSA...

Very hard to get an accurate number without lots of research but the 4%-5% range sounds about right.

That's pretty much what I was looking for. Just a general idea.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Agreed, just the insane amount of wrong way drunk drivers is unsettling. SAPD do report several arrests a weekend for it, but there is also generally an crash or two related to the same problem as well.

+1

Like friggen clockwork. When I was on trauma call on Friday or Saturday. Something bad always came in between 0130-0230. . . .the bars close at 0200.

Daylight savings time in the fall was a bad, bad day.

Interestingly enough and playing devil's advocate, there is a lot of evidence to support the use of DUI checkpoints. There is the obvious constitutional hurdles (which many states seem to jump with no difficulty. . . weird).

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Dude, tell me thats just sarcasm...

Pretty obvious that it was.

Interestingly enough and playing devil's advocate, there is a lot of evidence to support the use of DUI checkpoints. There is the obvious constitutional hurdles (which many states seem to jump with no difficulty. . . weird).

I've looked and can't find the evidence. Drunk driving fatality rates among the 38 states that allow them aren't really any different from the rest.

The Constitutional hurdle was decided by the Supreme Court. If you read their decision in the matter, they say flat-out that while the checkpoints violate your 4th Amendment rights, the Supremes are going to allow it for a few reasons, among them that states have "an interest" (WTF?) in preventing drunk driving and that DUI checkpoints have been proven to "work", even though they don't.

The checkpoint in the article my friend sent me did 19 sobriety tests, with one arrest and the article doesn't even say that arrest was for DUI. Let's assume it was. Less than 1% arrest rate, 18 wasted sobriety checks, how many police effectively off the streets for half their shift? The night before, the same department ran a checkpoint that had zero arrests out of over 500 cars. That puts their two day arrest/stop rate at under 0.1%.

They work? Don't think so.

Top Bottom