Question for the ammo guru's

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by 69rrvert, Dec 2, 2009.

1. 69rrvert

69rrvert New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Angleton, Texas
    I made my weekly stop at Bass Pro today looking for the ever illusive 380 ammo. The attendant told me to hold off buying any 380 ammo until January or February of next year (2010). He says the supply will be back up, readily available, and the price is going to drop considerably. He also said that everyone that has stock piled it to try and make big profits will end up stuck with ammo they can't get rid of. Has anyone else heard about this? I sure hope it's true. I currently have about 300 rounds for myself, so I think I will wait and see. That should last me for a few months. Thanks, Steven

2. dee

dee Well-Known

Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Intersting haven't heard anything but wouldn't suprise me.

3. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Yeah I've heard similar but BS is truth and penguins can fly!
    Who knows!

4. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Ive heard the same thing at cabelas recently. Ive been wondering how all this stock piling was going to end up. Truth is, Ive been stock piling way before any of this started.

5. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    I think supply is really starting to catch up with demand already. I usually see a couple different kinds of 9mm and 40 S&W. 45 auto most of the time. Still 380 auto very rarely, but just give it time. All kinds of revolver rounds. Academy's ammo stock is packed. 223 and 7.62x39.

I think you could expect the price to fall somewhat in the comming months, but not a lot. Truth is, I don't think people plan on selling their stash. I think that is more of a SHTF stash for me (ok, my stash is pretty small compared to most of you fellows, but I can hold off a few waves of zombies. I'll just hole up in my attic with my dillon 550 and crank them out after I shoot them : P )

I really don't think stores are stockpilling it. It doesn't make sense. This gun buying craze has obviously peaked. It is on the way down.

6. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Speculation for sure. Maybe 11 months ago we all thought ammo at WW would still be plentiful and 9mm would still be at $7~ a box, .45 at $15~ and .380 at $17~.

It still amazes me that .380 has taken the biggest hit, followed by .45 ACP. But I do see a improvement. Got a e-flyer from Natchez a day or so ago, offering up .45 Blazer Aluminum at $15 a box. I know the reloaders don't care for the aluminum cases, but they shoot just fine for one time.

7. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    After the way Natchez jumped their prices on reloading components, it'll be a cold day in hades before I click on their website again. They weren't the only ones - but folks like Grafs kept their pricing consistent - didn't always have it, but neither did Natchez, even at their inflated prices.

8. 69rrvert

69rrvert New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Angleton, Texas
    I mainly frequent the Academy in Lake Jackson and the only thing that they are out of is the 380 ammo. They usually have boxes and boxes of 9mm, 40, and 45 along with all the rifle rounds as well. I can walk in a buy 100ct boxes of Remington 9mm all day. Thanks, Steven

9. iratollah

iratollah Active Member

May 25, 2008
    .380 is the one calibre which I don't need to stockpile. Most .380s simply aren't range guns and it's the rare individual who is going to put 150 rounds through a .380 on a single range trip.

I bought enough ammo to be sure mine feeds reliably, saw that with the Crimson Trace the shots went where the were supposed to, so that secondary gun just doesn't need the regular workouts of my EDC.

10. gerritm

gerritm Active Member

Oct 5, 2009
    seabrook, tx
    Carter's Country in Pasadena had a pretty good supply of several brands of .380 including Winchester FMJ last Saturday.