• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 69rrvert

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Angleton, Texas
    I made my weekly stop at Bass Pro today looking for the ever illusive 380 ammo. The attendant told me to hold off buying any 380 ammo until January or February of next year (2010). He says the supply will be back up, readily available, and the price is going to drop considerably. He also said that everyone that has stock piled it to try and make big profits will end up stuck with ammo they can't get rid of. Has anyone else heard about this? I sure hope it's true. I currently have about 300 rounds for myself, so I think I will wait and see. That should last me for a few months. Thanks, Steven

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Ive heard the same thing at cabelas recently. Ive been wondering how all this stock piling was going to end up. Truth is, Ive been stock piling way before any of this started.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I think supply is really starting to catch up with demand already. I usually see a couple different kinds of 9mm and 40 S&W. 45 auto most of the time. Still 380 auto very rarely, but just give it time. All kinds of revolver rounds. Academy's ammo stock is packed. 223 and 7.62x39.

I think you could expect the price to fall somewhat in the comming months, but not a lot. Truth is, I don't think people plan on selling their stash. I think that is more of a SHTF stash for me (ok, my stash is pretty small compared to most of you fellows, but I can hold off a few waves of zombies. I'll just hole up in my attic with my dillon 550 and crank them out after I shoot them : P )

I really don't think stores are stockpilling it. It doesn't make sense. This gun buying craze has obviously peaked. It is on the way down.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Speculation for sure. Maybe 11 months ago we all thought ammo at WW would still be plentiful and 9mm would still be at $7~ a box, .45 at $15~ and .380 at $17~.

It still amazes me that .380 has taken the biggest hit, followed by .45 ACP. But I do see a improvement. Got a e-flyer from Natchez a day or so ago, offering up .45 Blazer Aluminum at $15 a box. I know the reloaders don't care for the aluminum cases, but they shoot just fine for one time.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    After the way Natchez jumped their prices on reloading components, it'll be a cold day in hades before I click on their website again. They weren't the only ones - but folks like Grafs kept their pricing consistent - didn't always have it, but neither did Natchez, even at their inflated prices.

69rrvert

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Angleton, Texas
    I mainly frequent the Academy in Lake Jackson and the only thing that they are out of is the 380 ammo. They usually have boxes and boxes of 9mm, 40, and 45 along with all the rifle rounds as well. I can walk in a buy 100ct boxes of Remington 9mm all day. Thanks, Steven

iratollah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2008
    .380 is the one calibre which I don't need to stockpile. Most .380s simply aren't range guns and it's the rare individual who is going to put 150 rounds through a .380 on a single range trip.

I bought enough ammo to be sure mine feeds reliably, saw that with the Crimson Trace the shots went where the were supposed to, so that secondary gun just doesn't need the regular workouts of my EDC.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    .380 is the one calibre which I don't need to stockpile. Most .380s simply aren't range guns and it's the rare individual who is going to put 150 rounds through a .380 on a single range trip.

I bought enough ammo to be sure mine feeds reliably, saw that with the Crimson Trace the shots went where the were supposed to, so that secondary gun just doesn't need the regular workouts of my EDC.

Same here. I've got a 50 round box of Golden Sabers that will be all I’ll ever need for my little Walther. I can't believe so many people are hording .380 ammo. I guess a gazillion people went out and bought cheap pocket guns last January.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I dunno that I'd say "cheap" - Sig's P238 is so popular that it's VERY unusual to see 'em in stock - an' they're usually $450+ (depending on model). I think what you DID see was the realization by a lotta folks that things could get worse in a hurry - and they found the .380's to be excellent pocket pistols. If 1,000 folks buy a gun an' run 100 rounds of ammo - that's 100k rounds on a caliber that's historically been shunned by most of us. For myself, I bought 2 of the P238's for myself, an' a P232 for the wife - even though I already owned 2 Colt Mustangs. That meant I needed 300 rounds of range ammo just to function-test 'em. Luckily, I already had some - an' since then have set up to reload for that caliber. Others without the reload capability (and existing "stock") had to buy it - which is where the "run" started, I think. Soon as folks ran into availability issues, the panic started - and they bought whatever they could find. Ammo dealers saw it, an' they started grabbin' it wherever they could - even at retail outlets - and the thing became a self-fulfillin' prophecy. Once the manufacturers get geared up for the increased demand, it'll straighten back out, but it's a function of time - they aren't going to retool a line for a low-margin round like the 380 just because they're in low supply.

AmirFazadh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Texas
    I got a Bersa for EDC, got tired of toting my SW9. I'm down to my last 900 rds. of .380. Now I use the 9 for range, never thought .380 would be hard to find!

Slotback

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    I went over to ammunitiontogo.com in Brenham this week and they had lots of stuff in stock. You might want to check them out next week.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Bulldog - check your messages....HarleyMechanix wants it, but is havin' a hard time figuring out how PM's work. Aaron - left-click on TexasBulldogs name on any of his posts, you'll see a drop-down menu pop up. Click on "send a private message", and you'll be gtg. Give him either your email add or phone number - not everyone checks their PM's.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    werid, i never got any?

He posted it under "Visitor Messages" -
    12-23-2009 02:37 PM - permalink
    HarleyMechanix

Still dont know if i can fit a trip to S.A. in over xmas. Old ladys family is here. Yea for me!(sarcastic) I could meet you on the 26th. Would the forum be good? Need to pick up some 38 from academy anyway.

If ya want, PM me yer contact info and I'll forward it over to him via email. I don't pass out email info w/o specific "okays", otherwise I'd just send his to ya. He's "good folks" - have known him several years. He's uglier'n a box of rocks an' dummer'n mud, but a good guy...

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    If all the dealers were stockpiling .380, what with the current availability and prices of that ammo, you'd think that at least some of 'em would sell some of that ammo. You don't make money by holding your stock!

Top Bottom