• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Haslet
    My wife is wanting to get her CHL and seems to prefer pistols over revolvers so I wondered what ya'll like best. Do many of you carry strong side like a lot of us fellas, or put something in your purse or a combination of both.....help me help her.

What's your favorite set up?
    Hurley's Gold

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    My GF carries in her purse much to my protest (ive seen her look for her keys for 20 min in there) but at least she is carrying....gotta start somewhere.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    My wife doesn't post on here, but she took her class with a G19 as it was the only auto loader she could rack without grunting and groaning. If your wife can shoot the G19 well, it's a great choice for the CHL class and holster carry. Purse carry I guess can be done with a G19, but I think it's on the other limits due to size and weight. When my wife carries it's a SW 637 J frame because of size and weight. Tired her on a Kahr PM9, and she didn't like the way it shot. (recoil)

I think you just need to have her try as many as possible, as you can seldom successfully pick a gun for someone, especially a women.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    My wife has a selection of pistols depending on what she feels she needs at the time. Her go to gun is a Glock 19 and it's by far the one she shoots and runs the best and what she keeps on her side of the bed next to her AR15. she also has a Ruger LCP that she packs most of the time. There is a hammerless S&W and a Ruger SP 101. I have duplicates so we can carry the same gun and share mags. She has IWB holsters for the smaller guns and carries small of the back. Her purses are American West brand which are durable and all seem to come with a pocket in the middle of the purse that is easily adapted to a pistol. It's the only thing in that pocket so she does not have to dig for it.

A highly underrated aspect of purse carry is the extreme tactical advantage having a solid shooting grip on the weapon and it still being 100% concealed. She can fire it at close range without drawing. Should she feel unsafe she just puts her hand in the purse. As for the unlikely event someone steals the purse they will be running away and she will run the other way and not chase them down.

Good luck. Glad your wife is interested! Seriously consider Carrying the same weapons she does! Two Glock 19s and 6 mags beat a 19, three mags and a 1911 and three mags!

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Look around on YouTube, there are some really, really good videos on female CHL methods. After watching a couple videos from one gal in particular it really just outlined all the options women really have. I suppose as men we tend to stick to methods that are most suitable to us and try to extrapolate that to women, but women do have many advantages.

The #1 issue with women and carrying is convincing them to carry a full size gun. They are so concerned with weight, recoil, how cute it is, etc. Their mindset is really the weakpoint. You'll have to play it by ear, because some women are very focus motivated and will carry what's ideal, rather than what fits the above criteria.

Glock 19s are the most versatile gun on the market in my opinion. It's what I carry, and I've sold tons of them to women as their self-defense pistol.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    If a woman is going to purse carry she should use one made for carry with a specific location for the handgun. She will also likely have to change her method of handling her purse. No more leaving it in a shopping cart, setting in on counters or floors, etc. I also worry about purse snatchings.

Education and training on that method of carry are important.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    My wife qualified with her Browning Hi-Power and she can shoot it quite well. I bought her a galco purse specifically made for concealed carry and they really hold up well. No they aren't cheap but you definately get what you pay for in that case.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Haslet
    Thanks GUYs for the responses. So, are their no ladies that post on this forum?

I'm sure she'll use the G19 for her class, and we may end up getting another lcp for her purse. Of course the last time she was at the range, a guy let her shoot a kimber crimsom in the 3" and she loved it. I told her that would cost over 2 grand, cause I would have to get one too!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Haslet
    I'm not sure what the problem is with carrying in your purse.....if she's walking to her car (most vulnerable situation I would think) and she has her fingers in her bag, with access to the weapon wouldn't that be even better then IWB? Just sayin' but I haven't thought all this out as well as some of you have for sure.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I'm not sure what the problem is with carrying in your purse.....if she's walking to her car (most vulnerable situation I would think) and she has her fingers in her bag, with access to the weapon wouldn't that be even better then IWB? Just sayin' but I haven't thought all this out as well as some of you have for sure.

Purse carry requires that the woman (generally) change he method and mindset of carrying a purse. Take a look around next time you are out at how most women handle their purses. You will see them loosely draped over a shoulder, making them an easy target for a purse thief. If that happens she has just armed a thief. You will see them sitting in grocery baskets while the woman walks around looking at produce. You will see them under seats on the floor of restaurants, etc.

That is just a few examples.

jr urbina

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    CenTex

If a woman is going to carry off body, then she should train to access her weapon under pressure, in a variety of likely scenarios and positions. What works on the range, or in theory, might not work in a reactive situation.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Haslet
    Thanks again for the insight everyone. ackankmom, thanks for chiming in! This spurred a discussion with my wife and two daughters and both tried on my iwb rigs. They both preferred the g19 over the taurus 1911 in terms of conceal ability on their smaller frames and weight.

Thanks again for answering such 'newbie' questions.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1qwerty
    Top Bottom