• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    I usually keep a 9mm pistol in a gun safe in my truck. I don't have my CHL yet (haven't had time to take the class & can't carry d/t my job....but I plan to get it ASAP). When I travel overnight, I usually pack a pistol in my luggage to keep in the hotel (plus I like having a spare handy). The type of gun I pack varies a lot, but I'm looking to settle for one as my permanent "travel gun". This is where the question comes in.....should I get one in 9mm so that I can use the same ammo in both pistols, or should I pack one in a different caliber (.22lr, .38/.357, .45ACP) so that, in the event of emergency, I have more flexibility in finding ammo?.....
    Thanks in advance....
    Lynx Defense

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I'd get both in the same caliber, as long as it's a common caliber (which 9mm is), then you won't have any problems finding ammo. If it were .32 ACP or something like that it might be an issue, but you shouldn't have any problems finding 9mm anywhere in the country.

That said, my primary carry is a .45 while my BUG is usually a 9mm or a .380; but I don't let ammo availability concern me because I always keep plenty on hand. Either way, I don't think it is an issue...

However, just my opinion but I don't consider .22 to be a viable defense round. I know it can be lethal, but I wouldn't carry anything less than a .380 (and even then that might be pushing it). Just my two cents..

Cheers! M2

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    A small ammo can sits in my trunk, Typically it has a few boxes of .22, and a box of 12ga, 20ga, 9mm, 38, and .45. As well as a cleaning kit, gerber tool and other sundry items. If I put a gun outside of these calibers in the car, I usually add a box for that gun. It takes up a bit of space but has come in handy when I have been out with others and want to try their gun or someone arrives short of ammo for the day.

On a side note, does anyone else keep a mixed bag box of ammo in their stash?. I have main boxes where you find single caliber only but also have one box that has at least one box/bag of every cal of ammo I have guns for, and some that I do not own a gun for.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Flexability during times of crisis is better than standardization.
    But if you got a "truck gun" why not pack Plenty of ammo for it
    so you won't run out? Having common cals is also a good idea. 50
    Rounds of 5.56, 25 slugs and buck for the 12 gauge and 100 rounds of 9mm should serve you well

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    If you get one of the Glocks in .40 I believe you can get dropin barrels from Lone Wolf Dist to convert it to 357 Si or 9mm if you're worried about variety and don't want to buy or carry a bunch of guns.

Just another option.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    How much ammo do you think you'll need? Pistols are for immediate defense, not for getting into a fight. If it does hit the fan, avoidance is going to be your best bet. Use guns very sparingly...

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Agreed. I tote the spare mags "just in case", more for peace of mind than any realistic expectation of need. If I thought I'd need a spare mag, ah'd carry several....or change the travel itenerary!<G>

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Therein lies the rub...there are times when a large-caliber, waist-band carried weapon can be impractical....so the little .380 in the pocket at least gives some option...

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Common caliber would probably be my choice (and you can carry only one gun to worry about). Even with a car/truck safe I'd worry about leaving in there when I wasn't in it. Just my two bits.

Just curious, what exactly do you mean by "you can carry only one gun?!?"

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Luna2020
    Top Bottom