• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PsychoTitan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    Odessa
    Hey folks, had a quick question about gun prices. I was wondering if the prices at most stores are negotiable if they appear to be pretty high. For example, ive seen the S&W sigma sw9ve go for $319 at Academy sporting goods, plus possible rebate on extra mags or $50 off, yet i've seen them for over 400, maybe 450 at a local store.

Should one be able to successfully negotiate the price of seller #2 in question down to the retail stores price?

Also, is it safe to say that whatever the amount/percentage of gun X is marked up by could also be said about guns Y and Z?

Im looking to gettin new gun soon and saw a berretta 92fs im interested in for around 750 but i thought it was a lil high. Im thinking about either 92 or 96, or a nice colt 1911. Is there a pre-set list out somewhere that shows how much handguns should go for online?
    Venture Surplus ad

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Chain stores usually can't negotiate price. Smaller merchants can and often will - particularly if you are a regular, you pay cash, or you make some package deal. Same thing at gun shows; check around for prices and don't be afraid to point out someone else's price to try to get a dealer down.

Some gun magazine years ago did an article on guns in pawn shops and came away finding that they were rarely cheaper than regular stores. I understand that there are some pawn shops that are also dealers and may be good places to shop. ALWAYS keep in mind when you deal with pawn shops that those guys are EXPERTS at buying low and selling high. (Playing poker with your buddies is different than playing poker with the pros in Vegas.)

There are some guys on here that seem offended that someone asks a particular price for a gun or won't negotiate. That's stupid and a waste of your time and effort. The seller can ask whatever they want and if he gets that much, more power to him. If the buyer doesn't like the price, then walk away and work on another deal.

mtaylor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Montgomery, Texas
    The problem is that large dealers get discounts with the distributors and us small guys do not. A good friend of mine has a retail outlet and buys hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of guns from the same distributor that I do. His guns marked up at 18% are the same as mine marked up at 12.5%

As Jack says, the chains cannot negotiate because corporate has not given anyone local the authority to negotiate, while the local owned dealers are often run by the owners themselves.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    There is pretty abysmal profit margin in new guns. The market is saturated, and buyers want below cost pricing. More people pay with credit cards, which takes 3 - 5% of the sale of the gun in transfer fees as well. So on that 12.5% you can expect 8 - 9%, and considering a $350 item, that's about $30. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why many stores don't move on prices these days.

Used guns are vastly different. Negotiate on any used gun.

Being the small guy in the gun community is hard. You can literally buy ammo at Walmart for less than what a small gun shop pays at the wholeseller. Look on the box of Federal and you'll notice the "WM" on the box since it is a Walmart exclusive. Academy's and Cabela's are two big players in Central Texas, they can pretty much get guns for dirt cheap exclusive deals through the manufacturer. Some of the prices on Mossberg shotguns at Academy's are well below or at wholesale cost.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    It never hurts to ask if that's the best price they can give you on an item. Don't be rude and try to berate them into selling it lower, however. If you don't like their best price, just walk away.

Maxpower

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    I never buy from the local stores, I can get whatever I'm looking for online cheaper + no sales tax (8.25%)

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    If you try to learn negotiating (haggling) from a book, you are serious trouble my friend. The first thing you need to learn is not to piss off the seller by telling him, the price is too high, the other one is in better shape, I can buy it cheaper from the internet, etc,etc,. My favorite is, the other guy has it cheaper, but it's not the caliber, gauge, vent rib or finish I want. Red apples are different than green apples. I dont promote trying to gouge someone on a price, but if you don't like the price, tell the man thank you and walk away. He is trying to make a profit and you are trying to get the best deal. Great situation is to hopefuuly agree on a price that is good for both of you. Imagine walking up to a man, get in his face and tell him that his wife/girlfiend is ugly. FIGHT IS ON CUZ! negotiation is a give, give deal. Learn it and you will be fine.
    Pick up a copy of Boston's Gun Bible (Amazon has the best price) for tips on gun haggling. It'll pay for itself!

Top Bottom