Questions about CHL.

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by TXTacticalSource, Oct 16, 2008.

1. TXTacticalSource

TXTacticalSource Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Houston, TX
    My friend wants to get hes CHL but he is afraid he will get denied because about 4 Years ago he got caught driving without a license... This was the first ticket he ever got. This happen in a Sunday and there was no judge So he spent a few hrs in a holding cell till the judge could see him... I think he said 6hrs... The judge told him that he didnt have to pay a fine that the time served was plenty. And off he went. He got hes drivers license and haven't got a ticket since... I told him that he should be ok since it was Hess first offense is consider a class C Misdemeanor... He went of and pay for a background check and came back ok no history at all... but he still not convenience... So here I am asking Am I Right or Wrong?
    I am not a lawyer so I dont know much about the traffic laws...

Thank You for the help!

2. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
  3. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    That makes it a Class C misdemeanor

He is fine

4. TXTacticalSource

TXTacticalSource Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Thank You guys! Now to get him to sign up for the class.

5. brainiac

brainiac Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    Did he get in trouble in Texas, in the same county he now lives in? The sherrif of the county he now lives in has the primary responsibility to do any background check, and the sherrif can be as thorough or not as he sees fit. I was told that most of them just run you through NICS or some such national data base and if you come up clean there, you pass. Of course, any convictions in the same county might turn up easily. I was sweating a little when I applied for my Texas CHL because I had a number of youthful indiscretions, but they were a long time ago and in another state and I passed the background check without any problem.

6. txinvestigator

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Umm, where did you receive that information? DPS sends one of their employees into each county. They do not depend on the Sheriff, nor is the SO of any county even required to conduct such a check.

7. TXTacticalSource

TXTacticalSource Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Houston, TX
    No it was not in the same county it was far from Houston. Some where in Madisonville or something like that...

8. brainiac

brainiac Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    My CHL class instructor.

9. txinvestigator

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Holy smokes. :confused: He is misinformed. DPS does it as required in the Texas Government Code

10. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas

Did you see where he hid the pipe after smoking it? :crazy-1: :tongueout: