• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Thats pretty cool! Do you know if Critical Defense bullets are bonded? I would think so but I'm obviously not sure. Lol

Maybe you can use a Critical Duty round as one of your shots? I'll mail you one if needed.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

I don't think critical defense are, critical duty is a maybe. I'll see what I've got in ammo cans.

If any of the LE officers on here are interested they should be able to request the most recent FBI ballistic testings, pretty much the most inclusive information available.

http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id=1840

Last edited:

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    On one end, I'm told these bullets are great for on person defense and that their impact can be deadly as their known for mushrooming out. On the other end, I'm told the 115 grain cartridges are deadlier.
    First, there's no such thing as a magic bullet - you need to do your part in 1. placing the bullet where you need to then 2. the bullet has to get deep enough to do damage and 3. repeat if necessary. In other words, Placement, Penetration and Persistence (my half-assed way of saying "shoot him again if you have to") - the 3Ps.

Second, the cartridge has to be reliable in your pistol - the world's best bullet is useless if it doesn't feed reliably. Whatever you plan on carrying, shoot enough of it through your pistol to be confident that it works every single time, because you'll be betting your life on it.

Third, lethality isn't the point; stopping someone right as fast as possible is what it's about. Isn't that the same thing? Well, no. To illustrate: you shoot someone with, say, a Glaser Safety Slug. He dies 3 days later in the hospital of peritonitis, but had stabbed you to death during the attack - not real good. As long as you stop the guy, whether he lives or not isn't relevant to what you need the bullet to do.

Expansion is nice - to a point. The expanded bullet makes a wider hole, crushing more tissue (which is good as it means faster blood-loss - and lack of blood-pressure is one factor that'll make a guy keel over) - but the fact that the bullet is wider causes more drag, slowing it down. This can be detrimental when it comes to hitting vitals deep within the body - you need sufficient penetration to get there, so it's a balancing act. Dr Martin Fackler (acknowledged wound ballistics authority) prefers a bullet that penetrates around 14" in ballistic gelatin - the FBI wants, I believe, 12"-18" (someone correct me here, I don't keep up with their stats any longer).

Your skill in getting the bullet where it needs to be and your determination to survive are really what counts; choose your ammo wisely, but don't let yourself be distracted by all the shiny things. Ignore things like "stopping power", "knockdown power", "energy transfer" and "kinetic energy dump" - they're all bullshit. Actual tissue damage is what matters.

Last edited:

NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    I'm not sure about their maximum, but the minimum is 12". You are absolutely right about dumb shit like knockdown power, it is a myth perpetuated by people who don't understand basic physics.

Last edited:

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Question: If we all agree that....

1. All handgun rounds are underpowered.
    2. Accuracy and reliability is more important than relying on technology.
    3. You need to practice with the gun & ammo that you carry.

.....then why not use FMJ?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014

Because I want every single advantage that I can get. One of those advantages is the best performing ammo I can find.

OnyxATX

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I think it really depends on what you want out of the round and how you shoot. If you are recoil sensitive and can't get back on target fast, shooting really hot rounds quickly may not be too easy at all... That's a big consideration.

If someone takes a round to the chest, they aren't going to have a good day. The round choice is a small part of the real equation, the big part is being able to draw and operate the firearm quickly and efficiently. My ex had a .22LR, because anything more she wasn't able to control well at all. I'll take a 9 or 45 any day over a 22, but I'd take a 22 over something I couldn't run well.

FMJ is going to penetrate more, and is more likely to punch through something. Hollow points will penetrate less, get rid of energy faster, and make a bigger mess doing so. I would take everything you read on the internet with a grain of salt and do two things.

1) Get decent with the firearm, train, and then run both to see the difference in how they shoot. If you can't control hot loads well, don't carry them until you can. Also, it makes sure the rounds you use won't cause issues in the gun.
    2) Shoot hams or something with FMJ and hollow points, cut it in half, and see what each one does to the meat.

I like Winchester PDX1 a lot, but also will run Hornady Critical Defense and Critical Duty.

NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013

A premium expanding bullet will result in greater and quicker blood loss than ball ammo. If your hits aren't immediately incapacitating the bad actor through shock to the central nervous system, then the more rapid blood loss from the premium bullet will render the BA unconscious more quickly. As previously stated by others, you want every advantage when confronted by a deadly situation.

Top Bottom