• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    Does anyone know people that will raise Raccoon? Heard something in the eaves of the house, opened it up and found 2 little 'coons. They are (I am guessing based on what I read) about 5-6 weeks old. I have a live trap trying to catch the mother, but have not seen any evidence that she is around. Wondering if she has been caught elsewhere....

I need to find something to do with these little guys. I don't want to kill them, but releasing them in the woods this young I think would be a death sentence. Figured I would give the mother 1 more day to show up, then I need to do something with them. Didn't know if anyone here had any recommendations. Animal Control will not take the young without the mother and do not have anyone in the area that handles Raccoons. Called the local vets and got the same info....

Yes, I found the entry point on the covered patio roof and will be fixing it so this doesn't happen again.
    Texas SOT

stx kid

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    laredo
    no pics no proof!

If I had space/time for them I'd help you out, but I'm not in a position to raise a set of kits.

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    no pics no proof!

If I had space/time for them I'd help you out, but I'm not in a position to raise a set of kits.

You need pics of me for proof that I exist? Sheesh.....

Here are the two little guys, they have made a mess. We tried a can of tuna fish, then some wet cat food, finally put a saucer of milk in there with bread pieces that they could use to suck the milk. They don't seem to have been weaned yet, but they will suck on the milky bread.

RaccoonsSmall.jpg

Dhayes

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Idaho Falls,Idaho
    Yeah, if you think they have made a mess so far, watch out for the 'milk aftermath'. It gives young animals the squirts something awful if you give them too much.

Dhayes

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Idaho Falls,Idaho
    It's nice that you mean well and are trying to help them, but I recommend you find a wildlife rehab place that knows how to deal with them.

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    I've tried calling several, no answer at most. Closest is a couple counties away. The tuna and wet food were recommended by animal control. Since they wouldn't eat it I tried milk. The one rehab person I could get on the phone said cow milk is bad, they need raccoon formula but it is special order. Doesn't help them any now. Still trying to figure out how to best help them. Waiting on call backs from other wildlife rehab people.

Thanks for the link, btw.

stx kid

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    laredo
    Yeah, if you think they have made a mess so far, watch out for the 'milk aftermath'. It gives young animals the squirts something awful if you give them too much.

this is true. Go to petco and pick up some puppy formula and you can bottle feed them to keep things neat.

Also, give them something to play with... those little stinkers need toys... if not you'll have some angry critters on your hands.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Weird. I was taking kids to school today and in a truck with a farm plate was a trap with a full grown raccoon in it.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    I'm a stone cold killer who has been eliminating living isms from God's green earth since 5th grade, but those critters are cute as a button. I'm not sure I could do it.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    OK, I have experience in this area having already had the pleasure of Raccoon ownership with my daughter.

They like sardines (in water) and cut up fresh fruit / veggies. They have no saliva glands so they need lots of water on hand at all times.

Your raccoons should be on solid food by now because they are scavengers but there is a special powdered milk for kittens that you can buy at any pet store. We even found it at Walmart. You can use it to get them kick started if they have problems with the solid food.

There is a rehabilitator in Sherman that I know who specializes in Raccoons, skunks (yeah, we've had those too) and possums.

You don't want to get caught with them because the fine in Texas is steep.

They carry a parasite that is very communicable to humans that can cause horrible pain, madness then death. I don't remember the name of it but a quick Google search will pull it up.

After we got ours to the rehabilitator I had to use a field blowtorch on the garage floor where the cage was and on spots in the yard where feces might have been thrown. The eggs from the parasite are passed through feces and can sit dormant in soil for years. Only can be made non dangerous through the application of heat.

Let me know if you want the lady in Sherman's number.

EDIT: Just saw that you got them taken care of.

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michaelm18
    Top Bottom