• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    any one know of some race tracks/schools for bikes? ive been riding for 8 years now and want something new. any help would be great!
    Lynx Defense

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    Are you talking bicycle bikes or motor bikes? I like the RideSmart school for motor bikes. I have done several track days with RideSmart and would highly recommend them. If you are talking bicycle, ummm......not sure.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Since it's in automotive, I'd guess that it's for motorcycles.

How the heck do people push bikes that hard? I could never get comfortable pushing a bike in corners... Funny thing is, I can hydroplane in a car at 80 and not care.

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    Since it's in automotive, I'd guess that it's for motorcycles.

How the heck do people push bikes that hard? I could never get comfortable pushing a bike in corners... Funny thing is, I can hydroplane in a car at 80 and not care.

When I was in school I worked 1 bike day at TWS, after having to roll EV's 4 times before lunch I never could bring my self to work a bike day again.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    When I was in school I worked 1 bike day at TWS, after having to roll EV's 4 times before lunch I never could bring my self to work a bike day again.

Yeah, I just can't do it knowing that I'm one pebble away from crashing. In a car, I get a second chance, even if I was pushing too hard.

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    If you do a trackday, I think TWS is the most forgiving place to start. Large track with good runoff of you do miss a corner. Motorsport Ranch in Cresson is a fun track but more demanding. Eagles Canyon is probably the most demanding and least forgiving. There run off areas have rocks and boulders. Not a good place to be. They also have MSR in Houston. I have not had the chance to ride that track yet. Also Harris Hill in Austin. Heard that track surface was horrible because the cars had torn it up, but I think I read it was resurfaced last year. Them, they are building the new F1 racing track in Austin and I believe there is gonna be a Kevin Schwantz (sp?) school run there.

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    I've been riding on the track for a while now. I highly recommend going to California Superbike School and doing level 1 & 2 over a weekend. It will cost you some money, but will be worth every penny. I've gone to Mid-Ohio and Barber with them. Both are great tracks, although Barber is just a great place to go to.

I'm not a fan of Ride Smart. The intermediate group tends to be a crash fest. Entertaining to watch, but not ride. The beginers group is ok, but their rules are lame (passing on the outside is an incredibly stupid requirement for beginning riders). I also think the schooling they provide for level 1 & 2 is a waste of time.
    What is a good local investment is time with Ty Howard. He used to teach the level 3 class, but I'm not sure if he still does. And even if he did, unless you can meet RS's lame requirements you can't go there. Go check's Ty's schedule and sign up for a class or get private coaching. This is as good or better than CSS.

As for ECR - I'm a member. There arent any bolders in the run off. The worst thing there is running off after it has rained. You'll need a crane to pull your bike out of the mud. ECR is a demanding track with a lot of technical features, elevation changes and other interesting stuff hold your interest. MSR is also a really nice track, especially when they run the full track.

twogunns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Dallas
    If you have never ridden a track day go the ridesmart at cresson route.tweek is correct though,some of the intermediate guys just drag race the straights and jam up the corners.It is fairly cheap and most convenient.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Other than motorcycle track days, MSR also offers a next-level driving school geared toward teen drivers that have finished the standard courses elsewhere. I'd love to see my daughter throwing the Crown Vic around - it's got the full sport suspension and actually handles okay for something its size.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Other than motorcycle track days, MSR also offers a next-level driving school geared toward teen drivers that have finished the standard courses elsewhere. I'd love to see my daughter throwing the Crown Vic around - it's got the full sport suspension and actually handles okay for something its size.

No affiliation at all ... but I used to instruct for these folks ...

Skills Teen Driving School - Skills Teen | Total Driving Experience

If you have a new teen driver and looking for a comprehensive driving course that teaches real world car control skills, this is the top of the heap.

Sorry for the hijack ...

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    I like the idea of ride smart because I can rent the race leathers rather than buy them only to possibly use them just once. They seem to have mixed reviews though. msr is pretty cool. They train the troopers on that track for free which is pretty cool of them. Hopefully within the next few months I can get out to one. I just have a feeling that once I get on the track, normal road life is going to suck.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I like the idea of ride smart because I can rent the race leathers rather than buy them only to possibly use them just once. They seem to have mixed reviews though. msr is pretty cool. They train the troopers on that track for free which is pretty cool of them. Hopefully within the next few months I can get out to one. I just have a feeling that once I get on the track, normal road life is going to suck.

If one rides on the street they should own protective gear as well!

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    Moira at Elite is the only school that uses the Harris Hill track I mentioned. Like I said before, it was torn up but I heard they were repaving. Not sure if they have done that yet, but I heard she has longer sessions and smaller groups.

Top Bottom