Hurley's Gold

Railroad Scam... how many just 'knew' it would go like this?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I’ve seen this said by a lot of people lately. I definitely don’t want to defend the Class 1’s but I should clarify that statement. During Biden’s presidential emergency board, they the PEB said something along those lines. I have had so many emails the last couple of weeks and I can’t find the exact comment. It was the PEB that said this after they met with the big railroads. Naturally majority of railroaders have made shirts, hats, stickers, etc with this quote and have run wild with it. I agree with the statement as it truly feels that way but I also want to be honest about where that came from.

Correct me if I am wrong but there are only two Class 1 railroads right? UP and BNSF

Wow just looked it up I am way off CSX KCS and CN are all Class 1s.. but I think UP and BNSF are substantially larger than all of them.
    Lynx Defense

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I’ve seen this said by a lot of people lately. I definitely don’t want to defend the Class 1’s but I should clarify that statement.
    From PEB 250, p32

The Carriers maintain that capital investment and risk are the reasons for their profits, not any contributions by labor….The Carriers assert that since employees have been fairly and adequately paid for their efforts and do not share in the downside risks if the operations are less profitable, then they have no claim to share in the upside either

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    From PEB 250, p32

The Carriers maintain that capital investment and risk are the reasons for their profits, not any contributions by labor….The Carriers assert that since employees have been fairly and adequately paid for their efforts and do not share in the downside risks if the operations are less profitable, then they have no claim to share in the upside either

Employees are the back bone of any business venture that is not a sole proprietor / operator one man show. The PEB's statement is a slap in the face to employees everywhere, and maybe they SHOULD strike, despite the crippling effects on the economy it would have. Maybe just maybe its time for the whole house of cards to fall anyway - then we can get back to rebuilding.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    From PEB 250, p32

Thank you for finding that

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    From PEB 250, p32

I had to go back to 8/17 through all email and junk. I was incorrect and I understood it wrong. For some reason I thought the PEB stated it as their own opinion. D62309C6-29A1-40C9-BF4E-8272A8E89420.jpeg

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    This is true, but almost every private company I've worked for had some method of sharing profits with employees. Either bonuses or stock options, or both.

To be fair, some or all the RRs may offer that; I’m not privy to their comp plans.

Things like the PEB are there to ‘influence’ the general public more than anything else.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Companies that don’t treat their employees as cogs in a wheel.
    Most employees are just a cog in a wheel. Often times they can't see past their wheel, and the machine is made of many wheels.

Of course they are people and can choose to leave anytime they like. Determining a compensation package to attract and keep good employees, the cost of replacing employees, and the profitability of sustaining the business as a whole is a complicated situation to negotiate.

Government assistance in that negotiation is a farce and causes unnatural outcomes. The thread is appropriately titled.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    All employees are a 'cog-in-the-wheel'.
    As to RR strike, silliness.
    Econ 101 for you.
    Are you RR workers more productive? Just trying to keep up with inflation? Want to 'retire' earlier?
    Join the crowd. Or 'blackmail' the citizens. If you don't work more or gain productivity, why do you think you 'deserve' more pay? Are you getting cheated?
    Yup, teachers/dock/construction/road workers all want more pay, threaten strikes. Between that and Gov spending ( welfare), inflation goes wild and causes 'stagflation'. You want more $, so costs go up ( middleman expense) BUT production remains the same or less!!! You can still afford football/baseball/basketball game attendance!
    Labor is/has been major expense of ANY industry. Why do you think industries have moved to Mexico/India/China? Be glad you aren't pumping a hand cart and using pick and shovel to fix the tracks. Any heavy industry, workers have a limited 'time' on job. Eventually, the back, knees/arms wear out. Figure it into your life.
    Oh, mileage of track and cargo miles in the US has been drastically reduced in the last 30 yrs.
    Not meaning any offense, just the real facts. Do you really want 150% inflation for your kids and G Kids?
    Read about Israelite/Greek/Roman/Russian/Chinese history!!!

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    This week’s update.

“The odds of a strike rose Monday after the two largest rail-worker unions announced votes on the pending labor agreement. The decision was split: The engineers union backed the deal 54% to 46%, while conductors and brakemen rejected it 50.9% to 49.1%. A few hundred votes made the difference in the latter, 28,000-member group, but close doesn’t count. “It’s now back to the bargaining table,” the head of the conductors union said Monday.”

Probably paywall: https://www.wsj.com/articles/joe-bi...kers-presidential-emergency-board-11669070947

@Orbie, not sure where you are on this; hope your position was adopted by your shop.

Last edited:

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    This week’s update.

“The odds of a strike rose Monday after the two largest rail-worker unions announced votes on the pending labor agreement. The decision was split: The engineers union backed the deal 54% to 46%, while conductors and brakemen rejected it 50.9% to 49.1%. A few hundred votes made the difference in the latter, 28,000-member group, but close doesn’t count. “It’s now back to the bargaining table,” the head of the conductors union said Monday.”

Probably paywall: https://www.wsj.com/articles/joe-bi...kers-presidential-emergency-board-11669070947

@Orbie, not sure where you are on this; hope your position was adopted by your shop.
    I voted no on the agreement. Many of the changes are still unclear and are said to be determined at local levels. I was not going to accept something that I don’t even know the complete terms. I also feel that the “raise” is a slap in the face as it doesn’t coincide with inflation. The $1,000 annual bonus is a wash since our insurance increase will cost more than that annually. I’d rather try for something better than just accept what someone tried to force.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    come on man wait to strike till after my ford lightning is delivered lol.

scheduled to arrive 12/4-12/10
    I don’t want a strike. I just want to be fairly compensated. I work with some who want to strike no matter what. I don’t think they understand the repercussions that will have on the economy, family and friends.

Top Bottom