Range in DFW where FMJ Rifle Ammo is Allowed?

Discussion in 'Texas Gun Ranges' started by Kerbouchard, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Kerbouchard

Kerbouchard Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Dallas
    I know there are a few threads that have ranges in this particular area, but with as many people on here that came from ar15.com, I figure some of you have to know where to go shoot.

I have almost bought an AR-15 about 20 times in the last two weeks, but every time I change my mind because I have no idea if I would ever find a place to even shoot it.

Any recommendations from you AR-15 guys?

I'm in Lewisville. I figure there has to be something around, or do you guys just buy the hollow-point?

2. Shiner Bock

Shiner Bock Member

Apr 30, 2008
    DFW
    I don't know of any public ranges close by that don't ban FMJ on their rifle range.

3. Winchester Range on the east side of Fort Worth. They allow FMJ at the indoor 25 yard rifle range.

4. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I puy soft points from Dallas Reloaders. Shoot em everywhere.

5. oxbld

oxbld New Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Mesquite
    Gibson Outpost Shooting Range

1712 Lawson Rd
    Mesquite, TX 75181
    Phone: (972) 222-8127

They allow FMJ rifle ammo. I shoot my Garand, Mauser, and Mosins there all the time.

6. FlyinFast

FlyinFast Member

Jun 17, 2008
    Richardson

The range it's self is not bad. I am very disappointed they charge more for the 200 yard range. Be advised 1.Dont bring your guns in the office/store (you might shoot them) 2. the owner's son runs a ton of business away. Very poor customer service on his part.

7. Infamous

Infamous Member

Jul 28, 2008
    North Dallas
    i dont quite understand the sick fascination that dallas ranges have with fmjs. its not like they are some sort of super bullet and it doesnt take friggin hercules to build a backstop to stop them. :confused:

8. Tribrothers

Tribrothers New Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Years ago the manager of the Garland range told me that their insurance required the ban on FMJ rifle ammo. I can shoot my Thomspon and M2 carbine on the pistonl range with ball ammo(semi only), but can't shoot ball on the rifle range with the bigger berm. Go figure.

Tribrothers

9. dglockster

dglockster New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    The Elm Fork Range on Luna Road in Dallas now allows FMJ - or so I was told.

Approximately two weeks ago, I took a AK there to test fire. When the clerk asked what type of rifle, I told him an AK in 7.62X39 but that I had hollowpoint ammo, not FMJ. He said FMJ was now permitted so long as it was not military surplus, probably meaning steel core. I replied good because I had several hundred rounds of Wolf FMJ and he said bring it on out.

However, just to be sure, it wouldn't hurt to call before going.

If someone does call, let us know what you learn.

10. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    That us what I was told also. No steel core, but FMJ is fine.

DFW Gun; although, an indoor range, allows FMJ.