• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Heading up to the DFW area later this month to visit my son for his birthday. He finished college last year and took a job up there. He's been wanting a .45, so I broke into my piggybank and managed to get an STI Spartan. Would love to take it out for a spin while we're there, so where's a decent place to shoot?
    Target Sports

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    Elm Fork Shooting Sports

Used to be nice, looks like they got a little bit expensive. I used to shoot there when I was younger and living in the area.

yep - this - elm fork

if the weather is inclement and you need an indoor range - there is a range on Mockingbird - east of I-35 (before you get to Harry Hines)....it can be really crowded on the weekends but I think thats true of any other indoor range

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Thanks for the great memory. If I may indulge in a bit of nostalgia...

I notice that their list of rental sub-guns is now limited to an Uzi. When I was last there over 10 years ago, they also had a Thompson, an M16, and a fixed-stock MP5. I was living in a Dallas hotel for most of 2001 doing training classes for my employer. The students were all from out of town and bored on the weekends so I'd set up outings to go rent something and shoot. I'll never forget the very young lady in our organization who tagged along one day. She had been born in and never left Chicago. In her entire life, she had never touched a firearm.

I suggested the MP5 because I felt it was "easy to shoot" and she took my recommendation. She was scared but intrigued and the pre-shoot briefing by the range employee was barely enough to calm her nerves.

I watched her as she fired her first rounds from any firearm. She was tentative with the first couple of mags, then let 'er rip. With every press of the trigger, her smile grew wider and wider. I swear, that ear-to-ear grin was plastered on her face for two solid weeks after. She actually sent me a thank-you note after she completed her training and returned to Chicago.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I just wanted to thank y'all for the input! I went up to see my son this weekend and, because of the weather, we went to DFW Gun Range. They couldn't have been nicer. The place was packed, but we were barely in the door before someone was helping us. A lot of other businesses could learn from the way the staff behaved at DFW Gun!

The STI behaved flawlessly. My son couldn't get over how tightly it shot. He was thrilled. I had a 1911 that I added a Wilson Combat drop-in beavertail (and hammer and sear) to earlier in the week, and to my amazement it worked out really good. All in all, an excellent trip!

Top Bottom