• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    So, i took a personal day from work. Stopped at Academy and got 100rds Monarch 7.62x39, and 100rds Winchester 9mm.

So, i get to the range and setup my SKS at the 50yrd line. I load up 3 rounds since i havent cleaned or inspected the SKS and didnt want a slamfire to occur. i chamber the round and squeeze the trigger, gun goes bang, but the next round doesnt feed right and catches between the bolt and reciever. :mad:, clear the problem and fire off the last round. Load 5 more, #3 doesnt feed properly again. :mad:. Load a full mag, #8 fires and #9 gets ejected with it while #10 gets chambered :mad:. all in all i sent 40rds down range and had 5 FTFs. i might say this is an ammo problem as i checked one of the rounds that didnt feed and it seemed that it was seated too far down in the case. :mad::mad: i dont know.

2012-02-01162726.jpg

i then moved to the pistol range. shot 83 rounds through the P95, kept some for the house. I like the winchester. its the value box at academy for like $22.

2012-02-01165803.jpg

as i was leaving, some dude rented a 50BMG for $115 for 10rds. so i stuck around to watch. felt like i was getting punched in the face from the muzzle flash.

2012-02-01170549.jpg

50bmg The Bullet Hole - YouTube
    Hurley's Gold

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    What kind of SKS is it (Chinese, Yugo, Russian, etc)? Is it stock or has it been "bubba'd?" Does it use the original magazine or one of those AK-looking ones with the duckbill? Pics would help.

I have "a few" SKS rifles and haven't had an issue with any of them. My best recommendation would be the SKS Boards (which doesn't seem to be working at the moment).

Cheers! M2

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Sounds like you've got insufficient pressure to cycle the rifle. I doubt it's the ammo, I've yet to find that to be an issue with my SKS rifles.

Since it's a Yugo check the gas regulator and make sure it's not stuck in the grenade launching position. The easy way to remember if it's in the right position is that when the button is in place it will prevent the grenade launcher sights from being raised. Make sure that the button "clicks" into place when it's moved over, if not the button will drift towards the center and constrict the gas tube, resulting in the weak cycling similar to what you described.

Also check the gas valve that fits right where the button for the grenade/rifle option is. If it looks worn, get a replacement from SKSMAN SKS Rifle parts.

One last concern is that you say it's "minus the grenade launcher stuff," was it removed (e.g., it's a a M59/66) or by chance is it a PAP M59 which didn't have the grenade launcher apparatus on it in the first place? If it's the former, whoever took it off could've messed it up.

Hope that helps!

Cheers! M2

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    yea, its supposed to have the grande stuff, but its been taken off.

The valve or regulator for the launcher is hard to take off. The spigot is a lot easier to remove, and it's not uncommon to see them taken off so that these rifles can be sold in CA.

That spigot alone turns it into a felony in that state. Even without the rifle.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    i dont know alot about these things and im new to guns, i may have to ask if madmax can have a look see.

Good plan. I'm not as good with the SKS as I am with the AK, and he still knows more stuff than I do about the AK...

I don't know how hard it would be to take the gas block off a SKS, but I'd imagine it's harder than field stripping the rifle. The gas "regulator" is going to be a shut off valve so that the rifle won't self destruct with something (like a rifle grenade) blocking the muzzle.

Fun and random fact: The spigot the Yugos decided to use is sized at 22mm, which is fully compatible with the 7/8" spigot attachment that the US used in WWII.

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    Taking the valve out isn't too hard.

I forget which position it needs to be in but you push the button and rotate and the button and spring comes out and then you can push the valve out of the back of the gas block. The hole in the gas block is easily accessible through the hole where the button used to be and you could probably give it a good squirt of solvent to break up some carbon if there is any in there. Also since it's apart this far, might as well clean both pistons and tubes, but don't oil them. I used to do that but it made the front piston extremely dirty and the rear piston threw oil into my face.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    All technical know-how aside, this jumped right out at me as a potential issue.

what he said! I've only had issues with firearms I didn't clean and inspect prior to shooting; "break-in" periods are rare for me.

cleaning would be the first thing I do before change/removing/altering anything about the firearm.

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    Sounds like you've got insufficient pressure to cycle the rifle. I doubt it's the ammo, I've yet to find that to be an issue with my SKS rifles.

Since it's a Yugo check the gas regulator and make sure it's not stuck in the grenade launching position. The easy way to remember if it's in the right position is that when the button is in place it will prevent the grenade launcher sights from being raised. Make sure that the button "clicks" into place when it's moved over, if not the button will drift towards the center and constrict the gas tube, resulting in the weak cycling similar to what you described.

Also check the gas valve that fits right where the button for the grenade/rifle option is. If it looks worn, get a replacement from SKSMAN SKS Rifle parts.

One last concern is that you say it's "minus the grenade launcher stuff," was it removed (e.g., it's a a M59/66) or by chance is it a PAP M59 which didn't have the grenade launcher apparatus on it in the first place? If it's the former, whoever took it off could've messed it up.

Hope that helps!

Cheers! M2

i finally got around to cleaning it today, the gas tube was full, and i mean full of gunk. im hoping that was the issue. ill find out if i get a chance to hit up the range tomorow.

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    also, i should note; i watched a youtube vid of disassembly and i noticed that even though the rifle was upside down on the video, the magazine "ejected" (what i mean is it popped up with force) when the latch released. mine just pops up a bit. could my magazine be bad?

Top Bottom