Hurley's Gold

Ranges that are brass-scavenging friendly?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Winterborn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Arlington
    Hi all,

Recent transplant from Marylandistan, and have yet to visit a range.

Anyone recommend any (or warn me about) that are reloader-friendly? At my old range I was often sweeping up brass from shooters in other lanes that didn't want it. Was my major source for .45, .40, and 9mm.

Just curious if I can do the same here.

Thanks,

Rich
    Target Sports

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Though I'm not in your area, the ranges here are ok with you picking up your own brass and are rather adamant about you NOT picking up others. YMMV

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Eagle Gun Range in Lewisville lets you pick up your own brass, but everything else is either the shooters' or the range's.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Sometimes other shooters notice I'm collecting my brass and ask if I'd like theirs as well. They'll pick up a couple handfuls and throw 'em in my bag, which is obviously much appreciated.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    It is my observation that most ranges consider your brass YOURS if you want it. What others leave behind is THEIR brass.

This right here.
    If you ask a shooter if they are discarding their brass and they are cool with you recovering it then go for it.
    Just showing up and just scamming up brass is a very good way to get your feelings hurt.

TX-Badger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2016
    Dallas, TX
    Total Shooting Sports in North Richland Hills will let you keep your brass, just let the RO know you are collecting your brass ahead of time. I've had no issues when doing this. Also, Quail Creek Shooting Range in Justin will let you keep your brass.

Last edited:

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Most all ranges will let you pick up your own brass. Most folks at the range don't keep their brass and never mind if you pick up theirs, just make sure you ask first. Like someone mentioned, they'll often even help you pick up the brass. I think the only thing that would be frowned upon is to walk out with the 5gal bucket of brass that the range uses for collection lol

What calibers are you looking for? I probably have a ton of it and will be glad to give it to you if you come to our bi-annual range day in central Texas. It's on April 1st.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Elm Fork lets you collect brass. Let the RO know and it is a good idea to mark the base with a sharpie too. I use red for .45 and green for 9mm. Often times others offer me their brass too.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Every range has different rules about policing your brass.

Some have grates under the shooting stalls where your brass cannot be recovered. Did that one time and never again.

Others will let you pick up all the brass you can in your lane, but not forward of the firing line.

Some others don't want you to shoot steel-cased ammo, but that is trending downward.

Brass recapture is a big money maker for ranges.

I always ask if I can use a brass catcher for my guns.

None have said no.

Be well.

Blanco

Conspiracy Theorist and Custom foil hat builder
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2017
    North Richland Hills, Tx.
    Most ranges I have been to aren't too bad about you retrieving your own brass. The one gripe I have was with Quail Creek. I went early on a Friday with my Brother In law. The Ro that followed us out was upset because he didn't get to finish his coffee?
    The range had been cleaned from the previous day. and there was really no brass on the ground. when I was cleaning up we were the only ones that had been there. The RO screamed something about only picking up my own brass. I mentioned that we were the only ones there and the range had been cleaned so I figured all the brass on the ground was mine. He gave me that GTH look and turned his head. I told him to have a beautiful day and left.
    I think I will find other places to shoot.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    There are indoor ranges I've been to that do NOT allow you to police up your brass. Once it hits the floor it isn't yours any more. It's theirs.
    Oh yeah, you can NOT use aluminum or steel cased ammo either.
    I just piss'em off by using a revolver. LoL!

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    The only range near me that doesn't like you keeping your brass is Thunder. They don't tell you that you can't, but they design their floors so the cases fall through the cracks and you can't retrieve them. I don't go there anymore for that reason among many.

I've never had an RO tell me I can't pick up my own brass. I wonder how that would go...

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    I shoot at Lone star, just north of Lockhart, and I've read comments on how the owners get on you about picking up your brass. Well, I have been shooting there since they opened and have NEVER had anyone tell me I couldn't. Very good place to shoot.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    After buying a wet SS pin tumbler then cleaning & sorting all my brass I have, I figure I'm good on brass for a couple lifetimes. Now the only shell casing I'll save are the 40mm plastic cases from my M203.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I agree the ranges in the Dallas / Fort Worth area do not have a problem with a person picking up their spent brass. I shoot at Elm Fork often enough that I have become friends with most of the Range Staff. When I arrive, they are quick to ask me if I am collecting my brass that day. If I am, they will sweep all of my spent brass into a pile behind me at the rear of my lane. A lot of the time it is my brass and brass left by others as well.

I have never shot at a place that forbid me from collecting my own brass. I would never visit them again, if they tried to implement that rule with me. Whether you reload or buy factory ammo, it is YOUR property.
    I realize that ranges collect brass and recycle it for an additional profit. I have no problem with them doing it at the end of the day after all of the shooters go home. It becomes abandoned property.

If I am still there and I am not allowed to retrieve my personal property, then we are going to have a problem. It is not a wise business model to piss off a person with a firearm, when all you have is a broom.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    If I am still there and I am not allowed to retrieve my personal property, then we are going to have a problem. It is not a wise business model to piss off a person with a firearm, when all you have is a broom.

LOL, every employee at the ranges in the city as carrying openly, as far as I have seen.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    "It is not a wise business model to piss off a person with a firearm, when all you have is a broom".

I understand your sentiment, but don't think that you would actually shoot some Range Officer over a few empty cases!

Be well.

Top Bottom