Guns International

Rant: Can't find a decent scope in Houston.............

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Spent a good amount of time yesterday on the computer and inside a number of different gun shops and can't find a rifle scope that fits our needs.

One driving factor is the finish. We want a high gloss finish, (like all the hunting rifles used to sport) from a decent manufacturer. In other words, as far from a 'tactical' scope as possible, LOL.

Pretty much settled on a Leupold VX-3, 3.5-10x40 with the Duplex reticle. They offer that in a gloss finish, and I can get mounts and rings easily for it in gloss.

However no one stocks gloss scopes anymore, WTF.

Bass Pro is the only store that I found that has a single gloss finish Leupold rifle scope, just one and it is at the low, low end of their line. Not what we looking for.

Not looking to spend a fortune, $500-900 range, but can't even find something from other reputable makers close to what we are looking for in stock. Would consider other makers with features close if the finish was right.

Easy to find and order online, but I like to look through and inspect any piece of glass I buy. Just a quark on my part with that one.

Really want to go in a store, hand them the cash and walk out with one.

If anyone in the Houston area finds something like this, I would appreciate a heads up on it.

Thanks.

BTW: Bass ProShops, Carters Country, Gander Mountain, MG Arms, Marburgers, Academy (Webster & Pasadena) have all been devoid of what we want.
    Capitol Armory ad

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Thanks, Thompson Falls Montana is a bit far to drive to check one out. But I will keep him in mind if we change our mind about ordering it from the internet.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    And here I thought you were "Pretty much settled on a Leupold VX-3, 3.5-10x40 with the Duplex reticle." My bad.

Yeah, we are in that range of features, price, quality, etc. But my penchant for wanting to touch and look through it before purchase is one of things I am not yet ready to give up on yet.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    But my penchant for wanting to touch and look through it before purchase is one of things I am not yet ready to give up on yet.
    Understood, but I didn't read that far first time around. Seriously though, once you decide, Scott is trustworthy and can likely save you some $ over and above the sales tax you would save.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I order online myself a lot. Herself, who will be actually paying for this for her new Weatherby (that has outstanding wood and a deep, deep blue finish on the metal) is part of the driving force. She has never, and will never tie a firearm related purchase to a credit card, always cash. Not that she is paranoid, but she works as a highly paid computer consultant that has insight into areas that used to not concern me. I am too far down that road to care at this point. She is not. That is why she wants to go somewhere, pay cash, and walk out without a paper trail. Might hit Woodlands gun show next week. (All that in addition to me and she wanting to look through it first.)

This is what she wants to put it on, so you can see why 'tactical' is not the look we are going for.

(She wants to shoot it before putting a decent recoil pad and a break on it to see how it feels. I can't wait for that day when she lights off that first .300 Win Mag round from it :) )

DSC00602_zps2pjv47ty.gif

DSC00598_zpsohnfo0wl.gif

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I am too far down that road to care at this point. She is not.
    Whatever. Since I am too far down that road also, if it was me, I would have her give me the cash and I would buy it on line to save the $, then gift it to her for warranty purposes. I hate wasting good money. It's not like it is a FFL item.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Well that's mighty American of you looking after your sister-in-arms that way. :p

Well truth be told, he saw pictures of the rifle before she bought it, but since she is meaner than he is, I had to relent to her. (Hey, and no need for the 'Bros before............'(.well you know the rest) card to be played on this.) He knows that he has first right of refusal if it goes on the market again.

As far as matte on a gloss, that is what have on my rifle, and like it. However, this is for herself.............................

Hope the Woodlands show has one for her to check out.

Damn OIF2, those your rifles? If so, you have good taste in hardware.

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    I hope the Woodlands show gets rained out and she decides she doesn't want the dern thing. :p

I've been watching the classifides and I'll vouch that OIF2 has GREAT taste in hardware....picked up a GORGEOUS wheelgun from him!! :)

Top Bottom