• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Quit friggin' coming to my door to sell me stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I want something I'll call you.

So I'm working at home today and I'm on a conference call. I hear my doorbell ring and walk to the front door. I see a guy w/ a clipboard from some company I haven't hear of. We ignore him and go about our business. He starts knocking. Its pissing me off, but I think maybe I have a broken sprinkler head or something he's pointing out.

I finally go open the door, and he starts in on his sales spiel. I stop him and point out the NO SOLICITING sign. He says, "I saw that but..." That's when I stop him and tell him he's free to leave my porch.

He saw it but????? But he doesn't give a crap and doesn't respect my wishes on my own property. That's the bottom line. I don't want people ringing my doorbell while I'm working at home.

What do I gotta do to make it real plain that I don't want to receive salespeople at my door? Maybe I need to upgrade my sign to one like one of these?

No-Soliciting-Exceptions-Sign-K-7258.gif
    il_fullxfull.470717380_j2s4.jpg
    Guns International

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    You MIGHT want to add to the bottom of the No Soliciting this: Don't knock unless you are a KNOCK-OUT!

I am a single Army Captian, its Sat afternoon, just finished mowing the lawn on a HOT afternoon. I am sitting in the cool AC just popped a cold one. Who the hell is that knocking at my door? I go and she is a senior at UT Austin and she has some part time job selling I forgot what. I am the last ranch on this road, its about 3:30 and I am her last call for the day. Eyes lock, I offer her a beer, I didn't buy what she was selling, by I took what she was giving...

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I am a single Army Captian, its Sat afternoon, just finished mowing the lawn on a HOT afternoon. I am sitting in the cool AC just popped a cold one. Who the hell is that knocking at my door? I go and she is a senior at UT Austin and she has some part time job selling I forgot what. I am the last ranch on this road, its about 3:30 and I am her last call for the day. Eyes lock, I offer her a beer, I didn't buy what she was selling, by I took what she was giving...

haahaahaa, we must of read the same issue of Penthouse

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Luckily I live out in the middle of nowhere and don't get door to door salesman (or college age women for those of you with magazine subscriptions).

But I would suggest something similar to what I do to those wonderful telemarketers who are for some reason allowed to call me even though I'm on that don't call me list.

For your solicitor, be polite and tell them, hang on just a second. I'm on the phone and I'll be right back. Leave them standing on the porch for as long as you feel like. If they haven't left after 15 or 20 minutes, go open the door again and apologize. Sorry, I forgot you were here. I got caught up in the phone conversation. Let me go get off the phone real quick. Hang on just a second.... And leave them standing on the porch again.

Your neighbors should thank you for this since you're keeping the salesman off their porch. I do the same with telemarketers except I say there's someone at the door and lay the phone down. I don't hold it against the poor individual who is just trying to earn a paycheck and likely getting paid very little to put up with rude individuals who don't like to be bothered. It's a win-win-win. They're still on the clock doing what they do, they're not really bothering me too much, and they're not bothering someone else while they're waiting on my return.

Dhayes

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Idaho Falls,Idaho
    I remember one time I was working as a telemarketer for the L.A.Times Newspaper. One of the numbers I dialed from the list they gave me was a payphone. I ended up selling a subscription to the person that answered.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Luckily I live out in the middle of nowhere and don't get door to door salesman (or college age women for those of you with magazine subscriptions).

But I would suggest something similar to what I do to those wonderful telemarketers who are for some reason allowed to call me even though I'm on that don't call me list.

For your solicitor, be polite and tell them, hang on just a second. I'm on the phone and I'll be right back. Leave them standing on the porch for as long as you feel like. If they haven't left after 15 or 20 minutes, go open the door again and apologize. Sorry, I forgot you were here. I got caught up in the phone conversation. Let me go get off the phone real quick. Hang on just a second.... And leave them standing on the porch again.

Your neighbors should thank you for this since you're keeping the salesman off their porch. I do the same with telemarketers except I say there's someone at the door and lay the phone down. I don't hold it against the poor individual who is just trying to earn a paycheck and likely getting paid very little to put up with rude individuals who don't like to be bothered. It's a win-win-win. They're still on the clock doing what they do, they're not really bothering me too much, and they're not bothering someone else while they're waiting on my return.

The phone thing is how my dad has handled telemarketers for years. I'm going to have to give it a try for the door to door guy. I like the idea.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Just exclaim in a frantic and angry voice "YOu work for THEM, don't you!" Let your imagination take it from there.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    This one time, I was hitch hiking down this road in the middle if nowhere. Suddenly, this bus full of bikini models pulls up beside me.....

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    When it come to telemarketers i answer in spanish, so they get someone that speaks spanish and i change to Korean, then German, then back to spanish. I dont speak much of any of those languages anymore but it is fun until they get tired and hang up.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    To the OP -

My HOA prohibits posting signs like that. I don't mind. If I stopped all solicitations, I'd never get any horny college girls who have a thing for fat, bald, ugly old men.

Of course, that hasn't happened yet. The only thing I ever wind up buying is Girl Scout cookies which adds to the "fat and ugly" problem. ;)

About phone solicitors -

My father used to answer the phone "Bryce Hospital. Dr. Chisholm speaking."

That was when we lived in Mobile, AL and Bryce was the state mental institution. My dad could would use a really scary, booming, mad-scientist-type voice and a really arch delivery. The way he said it, the pacing and all, could convince anyone who didn't know better that the speaker probably was interrupted in the middle butchering his latest victim.

Friends would laugh and start talking. Everyone else would just hang up.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I dunno, in a few years you'll be rockin in the old folks home begging for them.
    You should just be glad you're getting visitors Hippie. :eek:

Top Bottom