• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Any good ideas on how to remove spray paint without hurting the clear/ original paint of the car ?.

The red spay paint was used 30 years ago so its been on the car a while or is it time to bust out the sand blaster. I am not sure the condition of the paint under the red but was told the 16 year old that did it just did not want a gold car.
    Target Sports

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    30 years ago an unknown type of red rattle can spray paint was sprayed onto a gold 1987 car. That's a tall order. I would start with dawn dishwashing liquid. Make up a really thick soap and scrub the whole car to remove any wax. Then find a panel that isn't obvious and use a solvent like naphtha (lighter fluid) on a soft cloth or rag and rub the area. If the rag turns red you are getting the job done. Then check the finish under the red. Is it clear? Smooth paint or sanded paint? If it's sanded you need to repaint and polish and buff.

This is a lot of work and it might be easier to just media blast the surface back to bare metal and prime and paint. I would not use sand because it can etch.

If the body is a little rusty or this car just needs some help you can always sand it down and hit it with the rattle can.

Please Post pics of the car so we can better help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    If you have the time and determination, you could always wet sand through the red and lightly into the clear, then come back with a good polish and wax job.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Yep the whole car its a 1972 GMC Sprint SP I have only seen pictures of it so far going to pick it up on Sat and was hoping for a miracle chemical. Its supposed to be rust free but we all know how well that works out sometimes lol. Ill post pics of it when I get it. Its by no means a beauty queen right now.

Thanks for the tips. I may start with an adjustable pressure washer with a mild soap. I figure a repaint is due but I am holding out hope.My arms are already sore thinking about all that rubbin

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom