• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Make sure your phone/tablet has the processing power to keep up.

I know some had some issues with certain devices keeping up with the Phantoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DK Firearms

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Hot neighbor??

I have a small ranch that I'd love to video map from the air.
    Also, my son is a musician and we have toyed with the idea of shooing some music videos

Also, I am about 6 miles from an Airport, so I'm not even sure I could fly it in my neighborhood with the restrictions
    I have plenty of open space to fly plus we have an RC air park here that is out by the lake and a very nice facilty
    you just have to have the insurance to fly there

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    What is the rule on flying near an airport ?
    Is it 5 miles ?
    Is that measured from the center of the airport or the edge?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The airport rules

When flying within 5 miles of an airport you are supposed to notify ATC. Not ask permission, but notify.

There is no rule against flying within 5 miles unless there is some other NFZ rule in effect at the time.

My personal opinion: if you are about 5 miles away nobody from the airport will know or care, especially if you are staying below 400' AGL.

Being in a high an area that you fee might bring some risk of unwanted attention it may be wise to go ahead and do the registration thing.

You actually register yourself as an owner and put the number they give you somewhere on the sUAS.

Honestly though, unless your neighbors think you're spying I wouldn't worry about it just flying at low altitude over private land. And from what I've heard from others, airports get pretty tired of people calling to say they are going to be flying a piece of plastic 150' off the ground 4 miles from the airport.

Some follow the rule to the letter though in hopes it will create enough complaints to get the rule removed.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Just a heads up, DJI at one point put NFZs in the Go app used when flying the Phantom. Supposed to be able to bypass it using a credit card as identification (no actual charge made to it) but I stopped updating when I found out because I have an old runway near my house that shows as an airport on some registers.

Anyways, the App can prevent takeoff if you are in an area it believes is a NFZ and near many airports. Not for any legal reason, I think DJI wanted to look like they were being proactive.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Great info YG

I just found out today Im getting an unexpected bonus through work for $800 and it has nothing to do with our Christmas bonus
    So I am definitely getting a drone !

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Got this for my birthday as a relatively cheap learner. Easy to fly and the camera is OK. Figured at $100 if I smash it into the ground I won't feel too bad. The DJ3 have dropped in price quite a bit. If they keep going after xmas I might grab one.

a435ef84c33b12618dd184d72289e636.png

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I'm going to buy my DJI Phantom 3 S soon
    how important is it to have the blade protectors that they sell extra?
    I;m not going to be in any hurry to fly it. Gonna read up and get familiar with everything first. Plus it looks like that polar freeze is coming and that will halt things awhile.

I wished one of you experianced pilots lived nearby to help me the first time or two

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Why not get a cheaper quad to learn on in your house?
    Once you get the feel of it, move outdoors, and then on to the more expensive one.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'm going to buy my DJI Phantom 3 S soon
    how important is it to have the blade protectors that they sell extra?
    I;m not going to be in any hurry to fly it. Gonna read up and get familiar with everything first. Plus it looks like that polar freeze is coming and that will halt things awhile.

I wished one of you experianced pilots lived nearby to help me the first time or two

The prop guards aren't very important as long as you stay away from walls and trees. And with trees they may not help anyways.

They might help protect the blades if you tip it after landing, but that is a non issue if you just hold the left stick down for a few seconds once on the ground instead of doing a CSC.

In a large open area like I'm under the impression you will be flying in, I don't think the prop guards will offer any advantage.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Why not get a cheaper quad to learn on in your house?
    Once you get the feel of it, move outdoors, and then on to the more expensive one.

I have previous experience flying RC planes
    I don't want to spend the extra for a trainer
    We hashed this out earlier , but I have my reasons

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rod99
    Top Bottom