Re: DarkRooks post

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Shorts, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    To prevent further hijack, I'm answering this post here in a new one.

1. I think guide rods are unnecessary. 1911s function beautifully without. Personally, waste of money.

2. Again, personally, waste of money. Due to the availability of quality steel parts, titanium FP is unnecessary. Consider the firing system, springs and the effects on each other of a Ti FP is introduced.

3. ...ambi safety... Since I shoot one-handed, I never used the one on my Beretta. It was something that was there. My Colt has standard thumb safety.

4. ...a comp for CC... (sigh)

Overall, if you want parts to brag on and it's a fashion statement, by all means, add the parts. I don't see any of the parts above as needed on a carry 1911 with the exception of an ambi safety for you fortunate 'two handers' :lolz: I've got no input on the tactical vs non tactical version of an ambi safety.

2. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    If the gun doesn't have a guide rod, what's gonna hold the spring? :headscratch:

3. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas

:lolz: Touche'.

Full length guide rod is unnecessary for function. If they aren't then someone better tell my last 4 1911s that they're not suppose to work without a full length GR!

4. Army 1911

Army 1911 Well-Known

Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Actually my compact CQB has a GI style guide rod sort of.
    There is an ongoing argument on Commander size and larger 1911s about the FLGR. One side says it is an answer in search of a problem. The other says it adds weight to the muzzle and helps in controlling flip as well as smoothing the action of the spring.

Ambi safeties are a personal preference item. Many lefties use the standard safety. Wide or narrow your choice.

Personally, I have guns in both categories mostly because I haven't changed the others to the GI style. The advantage to the GI is that no tools, gadgets, gizmos or paper clips are required to completely field strip the pistol.

And with a true GI 1911, no tool is required to detail strip the pistol either.

5. cuate

cuate Well-Known

Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    My 1911 came with a full length guide rod, in disassembly for cleaning I tired of using an allen wrench to loosen the rod, I put the gun back like Mr. Browning designed it and have been happy ever since. I am left handed and I installed ambi safety, ambi mag release and had a professional gunsmith fix my trigger pull to about 3 1/2 lbs.
    I like it that way, and I would not be afraid to take it into battle.......

6. DarkRook

DarkRook Member

Jun 22, 2008
    East Houston Area
    Thats for all the feed back people.:happy0001: