• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SKS_Fanboy93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    McKinney
    Right the gun must be holstered I guess unless it’s in the glove box carried under motorist protection act. I don’t think that requires a holster. If it’s open carry it must be holstered. Can be holstered to center carrier. Not a bad idea. LTC course is really worth it.
    Yes, I'll probably take the course as well as an intermediate handgun course even if I don't bother to apply for a CHL.
    Venture Surplus ad

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    But is it legal? Long gun yes. Handgun?
    Been stopped by dps several times handgun on the seat no problem gave him my chl he says don't reach for yours I won't reach for mine.
    Stopped by border patrol with 2 on me both in plain sight not one thing said

PracticalCarry

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Cedar Park, Tx
    I believe an open carried handgun in Texas must be holstered even in a car.
    This is true - the new legislation does remove the language specifying a shoulder or belt holster though which is nice. Generally, making the weapon non-visible to "casual observation" was the rule in the past - now with the open carry thing, I'd still recommend that but do not think it's still in the code.

PracticalCarry

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Cedar Park, Tx
    Been stopped by dps several times handgun on the seat no problem gave him my chl he says don't reach for yours I won't reach for mine.
    Stopped by border patrol with 2 on me both in plain sight not one thing said
    LOL, I have literally had them say that twice to me - but "leave yours where it is and I'll leave mine where it is..". But in all cases, the LE were cool because I was cool and compliant - makes all the difference.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Perhaps you guys were let off by nice cops but if you carry a handgun open in a vehicle and it is visible it by law needs to be holstered. Covered is not open carry. The change in the law removed the requirement for belt or shoulder carry. That opens the way for those magnetic holsters.

PracticalCarry

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Cedar Park, Tx
    My understanding is that a handgun in a vehicle cannot be in plain sight. That said, it is not required to be holstered, just out of sight, concealed in a holster, glove box, under a cover, etc.
    You're right of course Charlie - in the question they mentioned "open carry" and visible in the car so for just the car, yep, out of sight. But if open carrying under the new law or under 411 Sec H Open carry, it would just need to be in a holster. Lots of nuance in the law now - will be interesting to see how it goes. Much like my SpeedO, I like to keep my gun out of sight pretty much all the time! (sorry for that visual).

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    You're right of course Charlie - in the question they mentioned "open carry" and visible in the car so for just the car, yep, out of sight. But if open carrying under the new law or under 411 Sec H Open carry, it would just need to be in a holster. Lots of nuance in the law now - will be interesting to see how it goes. Much like my SpeedO, I like to keep my gun out of sight pretty much all the time! (sorry for that visual).
    Thanks! I was hoping I was not wrong. If carried in a glove box it would not have to be holstered, etc.
    My father had a holster that strapped onto the steering wheel "shaft, column" on his 1956 Ford pick-up (exposed back then) that allowed the pistol to be pointed at the upper floorboard and made easy access to withdraw quickly.

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    >
    Yes, I always advise new folks to not start-out with too large of a gun. It is essential that you realize that "sometimes carry" is extremely dangerous. Therefore, carry all the time you legally can. Remember that a smaller gun, which is more comfortable to carry & won't be left home, is better than a too-large gun which won't be there when needed. Don't get too carried away by all the technical talk. ANY GUN is always a lot better than no gun !

I was caught unarmed by a violent ex-con ONCE; that cured me of the "I'll carry when I think I need to" mindset forever.

Invest in good belts ! Belts will "make or break" your experience. In recent years, I use GALCO belts almost exclusively. You'll end-up with a "holster box" just like the rest of us. IWB's are easier to conceal. Not knowing your type of weapon, can't advise further.

Good Luck & may GOD Bless !

leVieux

Top Bottom