• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Thing is, where was the indications he was an immediate risk to the community? He was not firing a gun, obviously, as he did not have one.

I expect the officers to let other units assist in making a stop. Then if shooting starts, at least they are not flying down the road trying to shoot.

Literally a second before they started firing, they called out that he had a 417 out of the window, which means he was holding a gun out of the window. If he made any movement to make them think he was going to shoot at them (which their reaction shortly after reporting the 417 lead me to believe, along with the fact that they later reported that the suspect was "pointing the gun backwards at us"), then they are justified in using lethal force.

Furthermore, the suspects own brother reported to police that his brother was hallucinating on drugs and was armed with a knife and gun.

The gun ended up being a CO2 air pistol. They thought it was a real gun and they had every right to think that based on what they were told. The idiot pointed it at them, and therefore they saw him as a significant threat and acted accordingly.

You can armchair quarterback all you want, but you were not there, you don't know what they were thinking, what all they saw, and you don't know all the facts. Those cameras showed very little of what was actually happening.

I don't have all the facts and neither do you.

Good day to you.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Noticed his Glock jammed on him at one point. No wait, the Glock fanboys say no Glock has ever jammed since the dawn of time.

Shooting was not necessary. Wait for backup units to assist in stopping the perp. Could have easily shot an innocent bystander.

Obviously the video is fake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmancornell

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Austin
    Guess how I can tell you have never shot through windshield glass
    Right, because only government employees can take self-defense pistol classes.

And now you will now explain that cops are so well trained they can adjust their aim according when shooting through shattered, un-even and angled laminated glass. :)

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    That's not exactly an uncommon thing to do. If the suspect poses an immediate risk to you or the community, you shoot. Do you expect the officer to stick his head out the window and shoot, or to just stick the gun out the window and fire blindly in the general direction of the suspect?

No I think it is pretty reckless. There are plenty of ways to stop a fleeing vehicle without shooting at it. The driver had a partner in the car with him so why was he firing through the windshield in the first place.

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Guess how I can tell you have never shot through windshield glass

I have, but only from the outside to the inside to measure bullet deflection. Other students got do do the inside to outside shooting. However, here is a nifty video that shows something similar to what we experienced. In this case, the shot deflects some 4" in as little distance as from the driver's seat to the front bumper of the car where the target is situated - call it 4" per 8 feet to be generous. So bumper to tailgate, call it 8" and add 8" per car length. See 3:40 in video.

We found bullet deflection was not always uniformly vertical particularly as the angle of incidence changed (such as passenger shooting out driver's side of window).

Now if you manage to shoot through a hole, obviously there should be little or no change from the POA as the bullet does not impact (as much) glass. Every first bullet through the glass, deviated, however.

Pederson made a lot of shots that did not simply pass through other holes.

dmancornell

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Austin
    Not true.
    Sorry I should enable sarcasm tags.

Besides the obvious issues with accuracy both with one handed shooting while driving and windshield in the way, there is also the problem of background awareness while doing all of this. But hey, cops can never be a threat to civilian safety no matter what they do, so it's all good. Civilians don't want to go home safely at night.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Literally a second before they started firing, they called out that he had a 417 out of the window, which means he was holding a gun out of the window. If he made any movement to make them think he was going to shoot at them (which their reaction shortly after reporting the 417 lead me to believe, along with the fact that they later reported that the suspect was "pointing the gun backwards at us"), then they are justified in using lethal force.

Furthermore, the suspects own brother reported to police that his brother was hallucinating on drugs and was armed with a knife and gun.

The gun ended up being a CO2 air pistol. They thought it was a real gun and they had every right to think that based on what they were told. The idiot pointed it at them, and therefore they saw him as a significant threat and acted accordingly.

You can armchair quarterback all you want, but you were not there, you don't know what they were thinking, what all they saw, and you don't know all the facts. Those cameras showed very little of what was actually happening.

I don't have all the facts and neither do you.

Good day to you.

Sorry, firing off that many rounds while flying through neighborhoods is not smart. Regardless.

Back off. Wait for more help.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sorry, firing off that many rounds while flying through neighborhoods is not smart. Regardless.

Back off. Wait for more help.
    What do you suppose would happen if they did back off, but the guy high off his ass had a real gun and went on to kill some innocent bystander. Hell, he wouldn't even need a gun for that. He could just hit them with his truck.

Then there would be people online bitching that they didn't stop him sooner. The police cannot win.

Also, what do you think would happen when backup did show up? That he would magically give up? He was waving a gun out of his window and pointing it at police. They are not going to PIT in that situation and they are not going to let him keep doing that. He would be seen as a significant threat to everyone around him, and they would have to treat him as such.

It easy to armchair quarterback and say they should have done this, or that, especially when you have time to think and have the power of hindsight, but it's something else entirely to be in that position at that moment and to have to make those split second decisions. I'm not going to say everything they did was right, but I'm not going to completely condemn them either. They were told that a guy had a gun and was hallucinating, he pointed a "gun" at them when they showed up, and they acted accordingly.

Last edited:

dmancornell

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Austin
    What do you suppose would happen if they did back off, but the guy high off his ass had a real gun and went on to kill some innocent bystander. Hell, he wouldn't even need a gun for that. He could just hit them with his truck.

Then there would be people online bitching that they didn't stop him sooner. The police cannot win.

Also, what do you think would happen when backup did show up? That he would magically give up? He was waving a gun out of his window and pointing it at police. They are not going to PIT in that situation and they are not going to let him keep doing that. He would be seen as a significant threat to everyone around him, and they would have to treat him as such.

It easy to armchair quarterback and say they should have done this, or that, especially when you have time to think and have the power of hindsight, but it's something else entirely to be in that position at that moment and to have to make those split second decisions. I'm not going to say everything they did was right, but I'm not going to completely condemn them either. They were told that a guy had a gun and was hallucinating, he pointed a "gun" at them when they showed up, and they acted accordingly.

Funny how you criticize others for commenting with hindsight (incorrect use of that term, I might add) then toss out hypothetical scenarios. Saying that shooting through a windshield in a crowded neighborhood is bad idea is not hindsight because it is not a conditional statement.

Also amusing is your claim of a "split second decision" when the cop fired 76 shots and reloaded multiple times. How many seconds did that take?

By the way the cops always win, it is called qualified immunity.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Funny how you criticize others for commenting with hindsight (incorrect use of that term, I might add) then toss out hypothetical scenarios. Saying that shooting through a windshield in a crowded neighborhood is bad idea is not hindsight because it is not a conditional statement.

Also amusing is your claim of a "split second decision" when the cop fired 76 shots and reloaded multiple times. How many seconds did that take?

Funny how you second guess the actions of this officer from the comfort of your chair.

And if you think the police aren't liable for every round they fire, you're even more delusional.

Just so we all know, please share how much law enforcement experience you have, especially in tactics...

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

hind·sight: Recognition of the realities, possibilities, or requirements of a situation, event, decision etc., after its occurrence.

I was asking oldag what he thought would happen, nothing more.

It was a split second decision to shoot in the first place. Why they continued shooting is up for debate. I don't have those answers and neither do you. Though if you do, I'm sure the Anaheim DA would like to speak to you about it.

That's a load of bullshit.

Last edited:

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't. We have moved from criticizing what actually happened to what might have happened. I am sure the Chief did not like the officers actions.........from his desk in the ivory tower where no one is shooting at him.

What was needed was an assist unit coming from a side street to T Bone the a..hole. now THAT is a fight stopper.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

dmancornell

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Austin
    hind·sight: Recognition of the realities, possibilities, or requirements of a situation, event, decision etc., after its occurrence.

And how is the statement in question conditional based on this particular event? It isn't, therefore your use of the term is absolutely wrong.

It was a split second decision to shoot in the first place. Why they continued shooting is up for debate. I don't have those answers and neither do you. Though if you do, I'm sure the Anaheim DA would like to speak to you about it.

Typical cop-out and pun intended. People are free to comment on what information is available. It is not our fault cops and the government in general hide behind a wall of secrecy of their making.

That's a load of bullshit.

Sure it is. Next you will say that cops operate under the same legal constraints as everyone else. :)

dmancornell

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Austin
    Funny how you second guess the actions of this officer from the comfort of your chair.

Ah yes, the "walk a mile in their shoes" logical fallacy. The implication being one must lose his objectiveness and have a pro-police bias in order to discuss police malfeasance. Sorry, not playing that game.

And if you think the police aren't liable for every round they fire, you're even more delusional.

Oh they are absolutely liable. But they enjoy qualified immunity so that liability is quite different from what a pleb would face.

Just so we all know, please share how much law enforcement experience you have, especially in tactics...

See above shoes logical fallacy. Also this is more of a legal matter and we know how well versed cops are in that arena.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    The9ine
    Top Bottom